Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think we would have had 4 wins last year if we would have played all our games. I think our record would have been even better if we would have had all our players that had to sit out due to Covid19 restrictions. But, I don't think much about last year because it was like a ghost year. The only thing about last year that is relevant is the National Championship. Beyond that, the games were all about development. I don't care if we won 0 games or 8 games. If they don't count for eligibility of the players, then everyone gets a pass as a training exercise. Just consider last year an exhibition year, as far as I'm concerned. To me, this is Year 2, with an extended spring training (18 months long).

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that's the 3 million dollar question isn't it. Which is better - a hall of fame coach with mediocre talent but a unique scheme or an up and coming coach with massively better talent and a common scheme. We will eventually find out. We are already 2 for 2 on recruiting what I would consider 'enough' talent (top 25), and we are well on our way in year 3 recruiting. In just 2 recruiting cycles, 247 says our composite talent on our roster has gone from 50th to 35. After this recruiting cycle we will be somewhere around 27th. If you are a top 25 recruiting team every year, you better win 8 games. Doesn't happen overnight, but we are accumulating the talent to do it. Now we have to do it.

If you're a Top 25 recruiting team, with average coaching you should be around a Top 25 program.

I would be *estatic* if Tech could get back into the Top 25 discussion. Reasonably sure we haven't been there since Week 3 of 2015.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, I think we would have had 4 wins last year if we would have played all our games. I think our record would have been even better if we would have had all our players that had to sit out due to Covid19 restrictions. But, I don't think much about last year because it was like a ghost year. The only thing about last year that is relevant is the National Championship. Beyond that, the games were all about development. I don't care if we won 0 games or 8 games. If they don't count for eligibility of the players, then everyone gets a pass as a training exercise. Just consider last year an exhibition year, as far as I'm concerned. To me, this is Year 2, with an extended spring training (18 months long).
I think we beat Pitt if we don’t let them reschedule. That little move let them get players back while we lost a bunch, and they ended up playing us after a bye week while we were on a short week of rest.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We would not have won at Miami with only one scholarship QB.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Because it wasn't a 5-7 prediction. I think a lot of people have forgotten that along the way in this thread.
But again, why is he wrong? I bet (and I truly haven’t looked) if you go back over the past 50 years there are very few teams that have gone from back to back 3 win seasons to a 6-7 win season. Statistics alone supports his argument.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we beat Pitt if we don’t let them reschedule. That little move let them get players back while we lost a bunch, and they ended up playing us after a bye week while we were on a short week of rest.
Disagree. Pickett was just a man among boys that game. He shredded us with his arm and brain. He picked up many first downs with his legs because he knew our defensive scheme and that we left the middle of the field wide open for scrambles. And we allowed their RB 247 yards. That game right there brought any expectations I had down for 2021 because our defense is far behind our offensive progression. I know we have a lot of new faces on that side of the ball which is good because no matter how good Sims and our OLine becomes we won’t win squat with that kind of defensive play.

Deleted member 2897

But again, why is he wrong? I bet (and I truly haven’t looked) if you go back over the past 50 years there are very few teams that have gone from back to back 3 win seasons to a 6-7 win season. Statistics alone supports his argument.

Again, he wasn’t making a prediction or forecast. He was coming up with a best case scenario. That best case scenario didn’t even have us beating a team that was 0.500 last year. How can a best case scenario for a team returning almost everyone, who just showed huge statistical gains, who was within 1 score in the 4th quarter 70% of the time last year, and who just plugged several areas of need like Kicker, DL, and OL not include beating a 0.500 team? He’s unserious. There’s nothing wrong with a 5-win prediction. But that’s not what he was doing.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are undoubtedly correct, and that is sad. We've come to a point where we allow people to say whatever they want to and excuse it as long as it brings about a desired result. We expect politicians, lawyers, and used car salesmen to lie in order to get their job done. Guess we can now add coaches to the list as well....
In fairness, everyone does it. It’s just that most people and/or professions don’t have a TV audience or message board discussions about it. But coaches at all levels are every bit as guilty as lawyers and politicians. Imagine what high level high school coaches say to get kids to transfer. Rush Probst isnt alone by a long shot but he sure got kids to move to Moultrie to play for him. The AAU hoops scene is worse than anything you’ve heard from Probst. Add million dollar contracts for coaches and it just becomes comical. I’ve dealt with it with my son regarding baseball and it’s just comical to think about. But you gotta play their game because they control the future. But don’t think many discussions weren‘t had in the car and then showers taken to get the stink off. I like Collins and am glad we finally have a coach who will play the game no matter how silly the game is. If a coach from a team up 316 can sell championships to elite high school players with a cupboard last opened in 1980 then I have no problem with our coach selling ice to an eskimo.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Disagree. Pickett was just a man among boys that game. He shredded us with his arm and brain. He picked up many first downs with his legs because he knew our defensive scheme and that we left the middle of the field wide open for scrambles. And we allowed their RB 247 yards. That game right there brought any expectations I had down for 2021 because our defense is far behind our offensive progression. I know we have a lot of new faces on that side of the ball which is good because no matter how good Sims and our OLine becomes we won’t win squat with that kind of defensive play.
Pitt was a scrimmage. On 4 days rest and down considerable defensive depth at that point. Didn't charlie Thomas start at defensive end? Of course we couldn't stop the run.

Last year was a weird year. Looking forward to this one.

Ironically enough, that game was one of Simms highest rated games at QB.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe because three win teams rarely beat .500 win teams?

We haven't beaten a team with a winning record since 2018.
I'd be scared to look up the point spread between us and .500 teams over the last 2 years. Even taking out any opponents that played in the playoffs, it would probably look pretty bad. I do think we will at least look like a normal CFB team this year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Miami lost their bowl game in 2019 to finish 6-7. Why do you **** on our team so much? Jesus ****ing Christ. It’s a ridiculous obsession of yours. Maybe find another hobby.
Snidely, I love the passion. But it‘s not **** on our team or coach to point out facts. I haven’t looked it up but I’m sure Augusta is accurate when he says we haven’t beaten a team over .500 in a couple years. And what does Miami finishing 6-7 have to do with anything? I’m sure our staff know it because they use analytics. It’s nothing to get mad about. If anything we as fans are getting to watch up close a program being built. The bandwagon will fill up fast enough in future years but I take appreciation and enjoyment starting something from scratch and enjoying the process. All of us here are huge fans to be following the team all year long and we all want the same thing - a 2019 LSU type season. But it takes time and I don’t mean months. I believe it’s taken a full 2 years and Collins repeating himself ad naseum that most of those in the high school football circles now realize the system has changed. For regular folks they still don’t know. I had a guy ask me the other day when he saw my GT hat if we had a good option QB ready to go this season. I smiled and replied I hope so and left it at that. He was a well meaning guy but clueless. It may take another 2 years to build the OLine and depth to make it go. We all hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me because all these big bodies Collins has amassed are freaking young. Hopefully, Key can build the southern version of the ND OLine but it will take years. I just hope our AD can stay patient.

Deleted member 2897

Snidely, I love the passion. But it‘s not **** on our team or coach to point out facts. I haven’t looked it up but I’m sure Augusta is accurate when he says we haven’t beaten a team over .500 in a couple years. And what does Miami finishing 6-7 have to do with anything? I’m sure our staff know it because they use analytics. It’s nothing to get mad about. If anything we as fans are getting to watch up close a program being built. The bandwagon will fill up fast enough in future years but I take appreciation and enjoyment starting something from scratch and enjoying the process. All of us here are huge fans to be following the team all year long and we all want the same thing - a 2019 LSU type season. But it takes time and I don’t mean months. I believe it’s taken a full 2 years and Collins repeating himself ad naseum that most of those in the high school football circles now realize the system has changed. For regular folks they still don’t know. I had a guy ask me the other day when he saw my GT hat if we had a good option QB ready to go this season. I smiled and replied I hope so and left it at that. He was a well meaning guy but clueless. It may take another 2 years to build the OLine and depth to make it go. We all hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me because all these big bodies Collins has amassed are freaking young. Hopefully, Key can build the southern version of the ND OLine but it will take years. I just hope our AD can stay patient.

It’s ****ting on our team when we only exclusively point out negative things and never acknowledge anything positive. Remember this was not about predicting 3-5 wins. This was about a best case scenario. Saying that even in a best case scenario we can’t beat a 0.500 team or below is just unnecessarily negative.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Miami lost their bowl game in 2019 to finish 6-7. Why do you **** on our team so much? Jesus ****ing Christ. It’s a ridiculous obsession of yours. Maybe find another hobby.

I'm not crapping on the team. We haven't beaten a good team in three years. Being honest about where we are isn't being anti-GT. BTW, I don't think we can afford to bleed fans and donors, so I'd be careful to tell people to quit being fans. I buy season tickets and donate every year. You can feel free to drop by one of our tailgates when you are there. You'll find I'm as big a fan as there is. I'm just honest.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s ****ting on our team when we only exclusively point out negative things and never acknowledge anything positive. Remember this was not about predicting 3-5 wins. This was about a best case scenario. Saying that even in a best case scenario we can’t beat a 0.500 team or below is just unnecessarily negative.
I feel you but it’s just opinion. Don’t let opinions bug you. They’ll change week to week. The games will be played and the results will tell the truth. Then we can spend another 9 months talking about it. Like every fan base in the country. I’m optimistic overall but for 2021 I just don’t see a lot of additional wins. Why? Not because I’m a bad fan but because we were in a deep hole and the game of football is won or lost in the trenches. And unfortunately we have a lot to prove on both sides whereas other teams are still a couple recruiting cycles ahead of us in depth and playing time. The Clemson game is gonna be a great indicator of where we are in coaching and talent.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not crapping on the team. We haven't beaten a good team in three years. Being honest about where we are isn't being anti-GT. BTW, I don't think we can afford to bleed fans and donors, so I'd be careful to tell people to quit being fans. I buy season tickets and donate every year. You can feel free to drop by one of our tailgates when you are there. You'll find I'm as big a fan as there is. I'm just honest.

Again, nobody is saying otherwise. But dont only focus on the negative. There are a lot of positive things last year and in the off season. When someone asks for a best case scenario this year, don’t say even in a best case scenario we won’t beat even mediocre teams. There’s no point to being endlessly negative.

It’s like last year when they predicted that we wouldn’t win a game. Sure it could happen. But why would anybody predict that given our schedule and all the new talent we had like Sims and Gibbs. Almost everybody is back this year and we picked up some great new people. Sure, we might win 3 games again. But to predict and expect that given what we know doesn’t make sense to me.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Again, nobody is saying otherwise. But dont only focus on the negative. There are a lot of positive things last year and in the off season. When someone asks for a best case scenario this year, don’t say even in a best case scenario we won’t beat even mediocre teams. There’s no point to being endlessly negative.

It’s like last year when they predicted that we wouldn’t win a game. Sure it could happen. But why would anybody predict that given our schedule and all the new talent we had like Sims and Gibbs. Almost everybody is back this year and we picked up some great new people. Sure, we might win 3 games again. But to predict and expect that given what we know doesn’t make sense to me.

A couple of things: I don't only focus on the negatives, I focus on facts. As of right now, a lot of the facts surrounding GT football aren't exactly rosy. That's ok as long as there is a plan in place to get better. I believe we have the right staff in place to make that happen. We have answered you ad nauseum about why 5-7 is a realistic best case scenario. You simply refuse to entertain any debate except your own opinion. People can be realistic and still be fans and supporters of the team. Not everyone is going to agree with you. That's ok.

Also, there was almost no one who predicted us to go winless last year. I have linked articles in the past that showed where most prognosticators predicted us to win 3-4 games last year. They were eerily accurate. You have a tendency to take any opinion about GT you don't like and make it out to be worse than it is. People did pick us to finish last in the ACC last year. They were wrong, considering who we beat and lost to, they weren't far wrong.

It comes down to this: We need to be realistic about where we are and how long it's going to take to get where we want to be. There is a reason everyone predicted us to struggle these last two years. Every college football expert in the land saw this coming. CGC has a lot of latitude from the national/regional press concerning this turnaround. Everyone, outside of some hard line GT fans, is willing to give him time to get his players in the system. As I have said before, this may be the year we take that next step. There is nothing to preclude that. It is far more likely, however, given the daunting schedule and the relative youth of our team, that we will struggle again this year in terms of wins. Where we should see major improvement is in how we are playing the game. I expect to see more sustained drives, less penalties, and continued development of our QB. I am hopeful that the D can get it together this year as well.