Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So let's change the word re-building. Re-building is when you take over a team that has been losing most of it's games and hasn't seen a bowl in a while. That was not what Tech was under CPJ. It was a coaching change that decided to bring a different system and philosophy with the hope that it would work. As of now the story is not complete but the first two chapters don't look so good. All anyone can look at to guess at a record in June is what you did last year, what your players look like and what your opponents have. With this in mind I think the Best case for Tech is 6 wins. The worst is 1 so in between would be 4. Again looking at the schedule, we start with 6 losses, going off of last year. Clemson, ND, UGA, Miami, UNC, UVA. We will not be favored against VT, PITT,BC. Duke is a toss up and our first 2 we will be favored. But all this can change in either direction.
It is rebuilding precisely because of the scheme and philosophy change. I took capoeira classes at the CRC while I was at Tech. My mestre was very talented and skilled at what he did. He had very good agility, strength, flexibility, and coordination. Nonetheless, I would not expect him to switch to karate and immediately rank in high level competitions. What Brent Key is asking of our O-line now is very different from what Mike Sewak was asking of them. That’s not to say that they can’t do it, but it’s not something that gets fixed after one offseason. As others have said, the focus needs to be improvement, not wins. And I’m expecting improvement on both sides of the ball this year.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not worked up. But 5 wins as a best case scenario is ****ing bull****, and everyone should be in agreement on that.

Here is our schedule, picking out key games:
Northern Illinois
Kennesaw State

Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh

Why did I pick these teams?
NI went 0-6 last year. KSU is FCS.
None of those ACC opponents broke 0.500 last year.

So I'll just stop here. Thats already 6 wins. If you're talking about a best case scenario, and you don't start here, you're a ****ing idiot.
Agreed that KSU and NIU are easy wins, but to be fair to the writer, we haven’t beaten a team that finished .500 or better since CGC arrived. I think we’ll win some more games this year, but Pitt and Virginia both finished at .500 or above last year, and it’s reasonable to assume our best case scenario includes a loss to one of those teams. Combined with the rest of our schedule, that would place us at 5-7, which is the writer’s prediction.

An argument could be made that, best case scenario, we also beat BC, but they beat us by 3 touchdowns last year and it frankly didn’t seem that close. Thus, I understand the writer’s reasoning behind counting that game as a loss. Doesn’t mean I agree, but I get it.

Indeed. Virginia played sub 0.500 in the ACC last year. Their wins were powerhouse teams like Duke, Louisville, and Boston College, who went a combined 9-21 in the ACC themselves last year.
UVA is a game we will not be favored in. Bronco is a great coach and history says we always have trouble playing at UVA. Away game.....advantage UVA.

Deleted member 2897

UVA is a game we will not be favored in. Bronco is a great coach and history says we always have trouble playing at UVA. Away game.....advantage UVA.

I don’t think anybody would disagree with that. We could go without winning any games next year. But if someone can’t see beating Virginia in a best case scenario…..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I read something into it, 5 wins duke 6 wins he has us as the lowest win total to me that is saying ( we are the worst ) Do I think we are NO ( I hope ) As for the schedule I really get sick of hearing that our schedule is so hard EACH year. If I was a player this would piss me off ( and I hope it does) Just line up and punch them in the mouth and play.
Hearing the schedule is hard doesn’t change the reality that it is really hard. Clemson, UGA and ND are annually top 1 to 10 teams in college football. Having 25% of your schedule at teams who regularly compete for the National Championshipis hard. No one else in the ACCfaces

Deleted member 2897

Hearing the schedule is hard doesn’t change the reality that it is really hard. Clemson, UGA and ND are annually top 1 to 10 teams in college football. Having 25% of your schedule at teams who regularly compete for the National Championshipis hard. No one else in the ACCfaces

Well, to take it 1 step further, someone else on our schedule will be fighting for the top 10 too. Happens every year. Maybe Miami or North Carolina will be it this year...but someone else will.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He’s probably right at the 50th percentile as far as predictions go. 5-7 is a good guess for this year. A few bad breaks and maybe it’s 4-8. A lot of bad breaks and maybe it’s, gasp, 3-9. Get a little luck and maybe we’re 6-6. Have a lot of luck and we’re 7-5. Catch lightning in a bottle and we’re 8-4.

The real measure will be taking the record and assessing the +/- of injuries, breaks, etc and determine if we’re improving, treading water or declining.

Our fan base just flipped over 2 years ago. I didn’t have to be that way but it is. The old haters became new lovers and the old lovers are the new haters. Those in the middle watch the 2 sides bicker. Life goes on.

Deleted member 2897

He’s probably right at the 50th percentile as far as predictions go. 5-7 is a good guess for this year. A few bad breaks and maybe it’s 4-8. A lot of bad breaks and maybe it’s, gasp, 3-9. Get a little luck and maybe we’re 6-6. Have a lot of luck and we’re 7-5. Catch lightning in a bottle and we’re 8-4.

The real measure will be taking the record and assessing the +/- of injuries, breaks, etc and determine if we’re improving, treading water or declining.

Our fan base just flipped over 2 years ago. I didn’t have to be that way but it is. The old haters became new lovers and the old lovers are the new haters. Those in the middle watch the 2 sides bicker. Life goes on.

don’t forget about a third group of people, that I am a part of. Those that unconditionally support the team, players, and coaches regardless of who they are…but bicker constantly about the stupid refs. 🤩

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah the writer of this article pretty much just pulled these out of their butt. Syracuse going 7-5? Duke 6-6? Also, I really don't understand why UNC and Miami are getting such hype. Both varied between decidedly better to barely better than the middle of the conference, and stomping on Duke. UNC lost to F$U and UVA, Miami barely beat VPISU and UVA. UNC lost 4 NFL skill guys, and Miami's only hope at QB is recovering from a ACL tear.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I finished my task list early today and spent a few minutes looking at our 2021 schedule and made best/worst/likely cases for each game. First, you have to understand that I want us to win them all, so don't jump on me for not being a loyal fan. So, here goes my prediction for the season.

The Best Case I see is five wins, four that could go either way (UNC@MBS, @UVA, VT, @Miami), and three almost certain losses (@Clemson, @ND, uga).
The Worst Case is two wins to open the season, a toss up game @Duke, and nine losses. This would be ugly at times.
The Likely Case from my view is four wins, a couple of toss ups at home (Pitt and VT), and six losses.

If I am correct, the writers estimate might be pretty close. The likelihood of us beating UNC early in the season is pretty low. We have played some really ugly games in Charlottesville, so that is not a likely win, and Miami will have discovered a QB by November. Clemson, ND and uga are not going to be fun games this year.

My best case could be 7-5 if we split the toss up games and hold service elsewhere. That would get us into a lowish bowl game and create real optimism about 2022. That said, it would foolish to call your bookie with my best case scenario as a betting plan.

Hate the dogs

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem with the opinion is that they are saying it's a best case scenario. They cite 5 teams we have no business beating. Even if accurate, that would make the best case 7-5. So what is implied is that they think the best we can muster out of the remaining schedule is 5 wins and therefore that we are a very bad team.

All that said, it's one person's opinion. And that person doesn't play for us or any other team, so it means nothing.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m on board the Stansbury/Collins train and I wouldn’t predict more than 3 wins. Why? Because that’s where we are until we prove otherwise. Just like I pick UGA to win 10 games and lose the important ones. Why? Because that’s where they are as a program until proven otherwise. Our recruiting will lead us to wins in the future, but no one knows if the future begins in 2021. Right now, all I want is to start out 2-0. And I don’t care what anyone says that 2nd game is gonna be a battle. Those coaches know how to coach and they have the entire off season to prep for their bowl game. I can promise you Thacker knows he is on the clock in that game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In the event that an anonymous writer on the internet can cause anguish and angst by predicting a best case scenario of 5 wins, will it help if I say the best case scenario this season is that we win them all. The joy of reading this I am hopeful will neutralize the frustrations of the other anonymous guy saying nearly the opposite and thus our emotional ph scale if you will can be reset to 7. A complimentary ying and yang post if you will provided as a free service to my fellow posters.

Deleted member 2897

I finished my task list early today and spent a few minutes looking at our 2021 schedule and made best/worst/likely cases for each game. First, you have to understand that I want us to win them all, so don't jump on me for not being a loyal fan. So, here goes my prediction for the season.

The Best Case I see is five wins, four that could go either way (UNC@MBS, @UVA, VT, @Miami), and three almost certain losses (@Clemson, @ND, uga).
The Worst Case is two wins to open the season, a toss up game @Duke, and nine losses. This would be ugly at times.
The Likely Case from my view is four wins, a couple of toss ups at home (Pitt and VT), and six losses.

If I am correct, the writers estimate might be pretty close. The likelihood of us beating UNC early in the season is pretty low. We have played some really ugly games in Charlottesville, so that is not a likely win, and Miami will have discovered a QB by November. Clemson, ND and uga are not going to be fun games this year.

My best case could be 7-5 if we split the toss up games and hold service elsewhere. That would get us into a lowish bowl game and create real optimism about 2022. That said, it would foolish to call your bookie with my best case scenario as a betting plan.

Maybe you just have a different definition of what best case means. Beating a marginal team, like a Virginia who went 4-5 last year hardly seems like a stretch to have to put in best case. That’s the only thing I can figure out, that people have wildly different definitions of best case. To me, only beating the teams that played 500 ball or worse last year and finishing with 6 wins seems like only a starting point for best case.

maybe I am also guilty of over assigning too much expertise to that writer. I just assumed that since it was published on 247, and a bunch of other wider platforms like Yahoo sports, and it was tagged as an “expert analysis”, that he was a legitimate sports guy. Maybe that assumption is incorrect.

slugboy

Staff member
If you write out Clemson, UNC, Miami, Notre Dame, and UGA as “even in the best case, you’re not winning these”, that’s still a best case of 7-5. That leaves out upsets that we’ve had in the recent past, too.
Maybe we got “slightly optimistic” and everyone else got “best case” in the article.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
@SnidelyWhiplash I think you are earning a name change to include Butt Hurt.:)
1622057219643.png

1622057262835.png

1622057299026.png

Deleted member 2897

If you write out Clemson, UNC, Miami, Notre Dame, and UGA as “even in the best case, you’re not winning these”, that’s still a best case of 7-5. That leaves out upsets that we’ve had in the recent past, too.
Maybe we got “slightly optimistic” and everyone else got “best case” in the article.

I don't know why you would write out Miami. We just beat them the year before last when we were 3-9. They lost 3 games last year and 3 more they only won by a couple points against marginal teams. North Carolina last year lost to 2-6 Florida State and to 4-5 Virginia. They also only beat 5-5 Boston College by 4 points and 3-4 Wake Forest by 6 points. I don't see how anybody would just automatically write off those games as a loss in a best case scenario.