Article Says BEST CASE Scenario Is 5-7

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

slugboy

Staff member
The writer never says we’re the worst team. What it does say is that we have a brutal schedule, and that it’s much harder than what our opponents face (except possibly Miami with the Alabama opening game)

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The problem with the opinion is that they are saying it's a best case scenario. They cite 5 teams we have no business beating. Even if accurate, that would make the best case 7-5. So what is implied is that they think the best we can muster out of the remaining schedule is 5 wins and therefore that we are a very bad team.

All that said, it's one person's opinion. And that person doesn't play for us or any other team, so it means nothing.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is where we currently are as a program. The guy is not wrong. Win and the narrative will change. Stansbury and Collins knew all this when the 7 year contract was signed. We are right where we were expected to be when we took the rebuilding path. I’m all on board and also see 4-6 wins. But as I always state- wins do not matter right now. Improvement and development is what matters. We could only win 3 games and be a much improved team if we lose a ton of close games. Collins and the staff have to show improvement this season but they don’t have to win any set number of games. The wins will come if we keep recruiting and developing. That was the plan 2 years ago and it hasn’t changed. We were in a deep hole and Collins is still digging GT out.

This is where we currently are as a program. The guy is not wrong. Win and the narrative will change. Stansbury and Collins knew all this when the 7 year contract was signed. We are right where we were expected to be when we took the rebuilding path. I’m all on board and also see 4-6 wins. But as I always state- wins do not matter right now. Improvement and development is what matters. We could only win 3 games and be a much improved team if we lose a ton of close games. Collins and the staff have to show improvement this season but they don’t have to win any set number of games. The wins will come if we keep recruiting and developing. That was the plan 2 years ago and it hasn’t changed. We were in a deep hole and Collins is still digging GT out.
So let's change the word re-building. Re-building is when you take over a team that has been losing most of it's games and hasn't seen a bowl in a while. That was not what Tech was under CPJ. It was a coaching change that decided to bring a different system and philosophy with the hope that it would work. As of now the story is not complete but the first two chapters don't look so good. All anyone can look at to guess at a record in June is what you did last year, what your players look like and what your opponents have. With this in mind I think the Best case for Tech is 6 wins. The worst is 1 so in between would be 4. Again looking at the schedule, we start with 6 losses, going off of last year. Clemson, ND, UGA, Miami, UNC, UVA. We will not be favored against VT, PITT,BC. Duke is a toss up and our first 2 we will be favored. But all this can change in either direction.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So let's change the word re-building. Re-building is when you take over a team that has been losing most of it's games and hasn't seen a bowl in a while. That was not what Tech was under CPJ. It was a coaching change that decided to bring a different system and philosophy with the hope that it would work.
While I agree with you, at the end of the day does it really matter what term is used? A rose by any other name is still a rose etc. It is going to boil down at the end of the day to results at some point in the future so I really don't fret on the semantics of it all.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
So let's change the word re-building. Re-building is when you take over a team that has been losing most of it's games and hasn't seen a bowl in a while. That was not what Tech was under CPJ. It was a coaching change that decided to bring a different system and philosophy with the hope that it would work. As of now the story is not complete but the first two chapters don't look so good. All anyone can look at to guess at a record in June is what you did last year, what your players look like and what your opponents have. With this in mind I think the Best case for Tech is 6 wins. The worst is 1 so in between would be 4. Again looking at the schedule, we start with 6 losses, going off of last year. Clemson, ND, UGA, Miami, UNC, UVA. We will not be favored against VT, PITT,BC. Duke is a toss up and our first 2 we will be favored. But all this can change in either direction.
I disagree with your definition of re-building. It's frequently used when a team loses a lot of players to graduation/draft. LSU was re-building last season and they won a national championship the year before. Some are speculating even Alabama could take a (small) step back this year with how much they have to replace but at that level (Bama, Clemson, Ohio State) it's oft described as "we don't re-build we re-load". And GT did need to do some re-building after 2018, particularly on D and we weren't exactly doing great there. After 2018 we lost the entire D line of starters and 3/4 LB's. Combine that with starting QB and most productive receiver being gone AND completely shifting the offensive scheme and yeah, I'd consider that a re-build.

I'd also disagree with your "6 losses" you claim we start with "based on last year". Miami and UVA? We didn't play either last year and the last time we did play them we beat Miami and nearly beat UVA. And that was in 2019, I think our 2021 team will be significantly better. We may not be favored but I wouldn't declare them losses just yet.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If you were familiar with the roster Johnson left behind you would not say that. There is a reason Johnson said "I think it's time to go now..." We were a .500 (FBS) team in 2018 and the outlook was for worse to come, not better. And that's what Collins inherited. It is absolutely a rebuild from a roster standpoint, and thanks to the transfer portal and the current staff, things are turning around.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The writer never says we’re the worst team. What it does say is that we have a brutal schedule, and that it’s much harder than what our opponents face (except possibly Miami with the Alabama opening game)
Maybe I read something into it, 5 wins duke 6 wins he has us as the lowest win total to me that is saying ( we are the worst ) Do I think we are NO ( I hope ) As for the schedule I really get sick of hearing that our schedule is so hard EACH year. If I was a player this would piss me off ( and I hope it does) Just line up and punch them in the mouth and play.

Deleted member 2897

I do not understand why anyone would get worked up over this article. It's just one person's opinion and, regarding GT, probably a decent guess. We have a tough schedule and winning half our games will be a stretch.

I'm not worked up. But 5 wins as a best case scenario is ****ing bull****, and everyone should be in agreement on that.

Here is our schedule, picking out key games:
Northern Illinois
Kennesaw State

Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh

Why did I pick these teams?
NI went 0-6 last year. KSU is FCS.
None of those ACC opponents broke 0.500 last year.

So I'll just stop here. Thats already 6 wins. If you're talking about a best case scenario, and you don't start here, you're a ****ing idiot.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
None of this really matters. You change the narrative with your play on the field. I think we have the opportunity to be significantly better just on experience and having a full offseason. If the transfers make a big impact we can surprise a few people. To me, everything depends on line play. Can we protect the qb and can we rush the passer? I'm confident that if Sims has the time he will make the plays. I'm hoping guys like Domineck, Clayton, Harris, White, Kennard, and Ivey can put some pressure on the qb. I am hoping we can get some push from the interior dline.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I read something into it, 5 wins duke 6 wins he has us as the lowest win total to me that is saying ( we are the worst ) Do I think we are NO ( I hope ) As for the schedule I really get sick of hearing that our schedule is so hard EACH year. If I was a player this would piss me off ( and I hope it does) Just line up and punch them in the mouth and play.
Hearing the schedule is hard doesn’t change the reality that it is really hard. Clemson, UGA and ND are annually top 1 to 10 teams in college football. Having 25% of your schedule at teams who regularly compete for the National Championshipis hard. No one else in the ACC faces the equivalent of Clemson and IGA annually.

Miami and UNC are stacked with talent. No one can question Mack Brown as a coach, he is elite.

improved play across all positions is what we need this year and the results will be what they are.

Deleted member 2897

Also don't understand why anyone would consider Miami or UVA automatic losses. I don't think they have earned that distinction.

Indeed. Virginia played sub 0.500 in the ACC last year. Their wins were powerhouse teams like Duke, Louisville, and Boston College, who went a combined 9-21 in the ACC themselves last year.

Deleted member 2897

Yep, he does see our best case scenario is being worst in the ACC. So he can go **** himself. Duke has been dead last in the entire ACC literally half the time in the last 30 years. Yet many years (like last year), people pick us to finish last. Clemson has finished last in the ACC more times in the last 30 years than we have. Just last year we were picked to go 0-10 and finish dead last and then we won our first game on the road, LOLOLOL, then won a few more. These people are ****ing idiots.