Article on why J.Thomas is best QB in ACC

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
From a South Carolina paper no less...

CLICK HERE

The writers makes some good points, all of which I've seen on her and other Tech boards. I'm as big of a fan as Watson as you'll find anywhere, but his hype train seems to be running out of control. It will be interesting if he can stay health, and if he stays healthy, it'll be interesting if he can sustain his flashes of brilliance over an entire season.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
From a South Carolina paper no less...

CLICK HERE

The writers makes some good points, all of which I've seen on her and other Tech boards. I'm as big of a fan as Watson as you'll find anywhere, but his hype train seems to be running out of control. It will be interesting if he can stay health, and if he stays healthy, it'll be interesting if he can sustain his flashes of brilliance over an entire season.
Good get. I know just a bit about the Greenville paper and this piece is so well done -- not just because of the Thomas pitch, but the logical progression of the piece -- it is hard to believe it originated there. He is on target with the injury issue, and with the ability of Thomas to run the option, and I wish to heaven they would all learn the evil genius could call a whole game without running the same option twice. But it is that ability that I think gives Thomas the close edge. Watson is undeniably the better passer, and though they run differently, Thomas is the better runner with that ability to freeze defenders in place. (Sometime I want to see Johnson call the QB draw five or six times in a row, just to see those moves.) You're right: Watson has to play a full season and we'll see. I know the Clemson staff has been calling him a Heisman candidate since HS, but they said that about their last one, who turned out real good but not great.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
What a pleasure it is to read a good writer with respect for both players, as opposed to some sneering ESPN panelist cutting one or the other guy down to make his point. I hope Watson has a healthy, great season except on October 10th.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I would have liked it more if the writer could have at least quoted an opposing coach or two about what it's like to go up against JT.

thwgjacket

I would have liked it more if the writer could have at least quoted an opposing coach or two about what it's like to go up against JT.
You want to know what it's like for an opposing coach to go against JeT? Ok...
"Ok they snapped it to him."
"Crap, he's running with it."
"Damn it Billy, tackle him."
"Ok John should tackle him."
"Damn it John, tackle him Jack."
"Crap, Jack missed him, he's going to score."
"Yup, he scored."
"I need to start thinking of excuses for the post game press conference."

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
"Yup, he scored."
The real beauty is that the play before that was a dive, the one before that was a pitch and the one before that was a 65 yd pass.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
"Yup, he scored."
Actually it's only two words, not printable in this forum. And they're not "I quit."

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
And here's a great article on PJ you might also like...

Late Summer is the season for media days around the college football world. The Pinehurst Resort in North Carolina served as the host of the 2015 Atlantic Coast Conference Kickoff. As I walked around the lobby the first night I noticed people milling around hoping to see players and coaches they know and grab an autograph or a picture. Then I noticed somebody walk through a few times, without being noticed at all by the roaming crowd. Later, at the end of the night we both got on the elevator to head to our rooms. We exchanged some small talk and then went our separate ways. He seemed humble, yet appreciative when I congratulated him on his Orange Bowl victory last season. The man on the elevator who walked anonymously through the lobby was Georgia Tech Head Coach Paul Johnson.

http://sports-glutton.com/2015/07/24/acc-media-days-one-coach-you-need-to-know-better/

I linked this on Twitter a while back but I don't remember seeing anyone posting this here yet that I've seen so here you go...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Late Summer is the season for media days around the college football world. The Pinehurst Resort in North Carolina served as the host of the 2015 Atlantic Coast Conference Kickoff. As I walked around the lobby the first night I noticed people milling around hoping to see players and coaches they know and grab an autograph or a picture. Then I noticed somebody walk through a few times, without being noticed at all by the roaming crowd. Later, at the end of the night we both got on the elevator to head to our rooms. We exchanged some small talk and then went our separate ways. He seemed humble, yet appreciative when I congratulated him on his Orange Bowl victory last season. The man on the elevator who walked anonymously through the lobby was Georgia Tech Head Coach Paul Johnson.

http://sports-glutton.com/2015/07/24/acc-media-days-one-coach-you-need-to-know-better/

I linked this on Twitter a while back but I don't remember seeing anyone posting this here yet that I've seen so here you go...
You beat me to it - didn't see this before starting the new thread.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

A really good piece. Thanks for the link. Well done, and another priceless quote about an opportunistic but leaky defense: "When our defense is on the field somebody is gonna score one way or the other."

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
"Yup, he scored."

That CB we're blitzing should shut him down before he gets around end. He got around end. Wait we have two linebackers going to hit him. He's trying to jump over them. Won't possibly be able to pitch. He pitched. The running back surely can't catch a blind pitch made while jumping and getting hit by two guys! The running back caught it. Now that absolutely, positively can't go for a first down. First down. -- Mark Richt

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The real coach transcript I want is for this one.

lEvaiVM.gif

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The downfield blocking on this play is absolutely textbook! Everybody flowing from the inside is accounted for and handled, the W/R took out the CB to the playside and, of course, JeT made the safety look like a statue! Once he was past it was nothing but green :D

Exactly what I was thinking. Everyone does their job and NO offense can be stopped. Especially ours with options for missed assignments.

Our new WRs and AB/BB will take time to develop that type of proficiency in downfield blocking. I'm glad we have two cupcake games to start to get it going.....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What kind of meltdown will we see here if we struggle some in those first two games? Guess it will depend on how much we struggle. What might be worse actually is blowing both out of the water with no hiccups. Sometimes cupcakes keep you from learning weaknesses or problems. Our coaches might know our problems but getting the players to really buy into the fixes is sometimes harder to accomplish until they get beat some.

On the positive side, we have guys who seem to genuinely "buy in". Both lines of scrimmage should be good enough to help open the other side's eyes in the preseason if not done already in the spring. Rambling stream of thought over.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What kind of meltdown will we see here if we struggle some in those first two games? Guess it will depend on how much we struggle. What might be worse actually is blowing both out of the water with no hiccups. Sometimes cupcakes keep you from learning weaknesses or problems. Our coaches might know our problems but getting the players to really buy into the fixes is sometimes harder to accomplish until they get beat some.

On the positive side, we have guys who seem to genuinely "buy in". Both lines of scrimmage should be good enough to help open the other side's eyes in the preseason if not done already in the spring. Rambling stream of thought over.
Not rambling, not really. A reasonable question based on the history of football fans and football message boards. A lot of folks thought after Duke and UNC last season that we had regressed to the performance of the previous three years, and with the meat of the schedule still to come, mediocrity was expected. The cooler and more knowledgeable people on message boards are going to have to offset the hair-on-fire crowd. At least get them down to foot stomping. Still, I think ND will give everybody a really good look at what the rest of the schedule might hold.