Article on possibility of canceling conference tournaments

Deleted member 2897

Yep, hence why teams should be penalized at least a handful of seeds. If Gonzaga thought they might be a 4 or 5 instead of a 1 because they skipped a bunch of games, they might think differently.

Of course then they’ll claim a Covid quarantine and get seed immunity because nobody will think it’s cool to dock them seeds for being safe.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am going to be a contrarian here. If the conference tournaments are optional for the NCAAT, then the regular season champion should get the automatic bid. If Gonzaga wants to take their game to a national audience and tank a game in their conference tournament, there is probably nothing to be done about it. But to sit the remainder of the season, or just the the conference tournament, in order to allow another team - an undeserving other conference member - to have the automatic bid is cheating. It is taking something of value from another team. It should be punished. I would start by denying Gonzaga a bid to the NCAAT. Or Villanova. Or Baylor, Virginia, or anyone else who pulls this stunt.

I know the NCAA will not do this. But, that does not mean it should not be said.

Deleted member 2897

I am going to be a contrarian here. If the conference tournaments are optional for the NCAAT, then the regular season champion should get the automatic bid. If Gonzaga wants to take their game to a national audience and tank a game in their conference tournament, there is probably nothing to be done about it. But to sit the remainder of the season, or just the the conference tournament, in order to allow another team - an undeserving other conference member - to have the automatic bid is cheating. It is taking something of value from another team. It should be punished. I would start by denying Gonzaga a bid to the NCAAT. Or Villanova. Or Baylor, Virginia, or anyone else who pulls this stunt.

I know the NCAA will not do this. But, that does not mean it should not be said.

I actually really like that, so long as the entire tournament is canceled. If the tournament isn’t canceled and that’s the rule, then pretty much everyone at the top will exit stage left.