Article on possibility of canceling conference tournaments

Deleted member 2897

Well, not too different than what some football teams did last fall - would rather not play depleted and risk a loss, so they just skipped games. As long as there is no penalty for skipping games, its something everyone should weigh. I think if you're a #2 seed (just to make up an example) like Virginia, and you opt out of the ACCT just because, they should lose a few seeds in the process. Michigan opted out of their last football game because they only had about 80 eligible players. Not a typo. LOL.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t believe teams are allowed to opt out of a conference tournament. I understand why a team that is a lock for the ncaa would want to skip a conference tourney this year due to the risk of possibly getting covid and being ineligible for the dance, but that same logic applies every year for injuries to a key player, etc. So, would this be an exception to the normal rules, or are teams already allowed to skip conference tournaments meaning this might just be setting a precedent for skipping out in future years that are not affected by covid?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I had a conversation with an aau coach up here today. There was a Covid outbreak at U Michigan. One of the SA’s caught a different variant, which is stronger than the one that’s been going around. He said I could see teams not only passing on conference tournaments but the NCAAT as well because of this. Especially if you’re a 16 seed or someone with little to no shot at winning. What’s the point of playing and putting kids at risk he said.
He talks to a lot of coaches, mainly MAC & Horizon schools and coaches are nervous as hell about it.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling all conference tournaments get cancelled. Why risk an outbreak and have all your teams ineligible for the NCAA Tournament

Deleted member 2897

Teams like Gonzaga should just cancel all remaining games now. There is no penalty for doing so. Just say new variants have been detected in the area, which is true.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’d really like to see some leaders step up and be vocal about the lack of risk in these situations and stress how we should absolutely play. I know what I’m suggesting isn’t popular opinion, but since there has been a miraculous backing of science over the past 10 months it’d be nice to see folks support science and statistics when they suggest something that they don’t agree with.

GT_EE78

Banned
Be interesting to learn how they determine the NCAAT auto-qualifier in this scenario
Can't see why it would change,still the conference tourney winner.
I can't imagine that NCAAT committee wouldn't levy some punishment for opting out, but who knows what that could be?

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.16.14 PM.png

slugboy

Staff member
He's probably correct. If Gonzaga sits out as a NCAA lock, Gonzaga and the winner of the Western conference go to the NCAAs. If Gonzaga plays in the conference, they're probably the only team in. If Duke, FSU, and UVA sit out of the ACC tournament, the odds of a GT or Clemson winning the tournament get a lot better.
Maybe the conference tournament winners are those bubble teams this time around.