Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

slugboy

Staff member
You may have already seen the SI article...
Sports Illustrated: Zion Served Request to Admit He Received Illegal Benefits to Attend Duke.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/10/zion-duke-marketing-lawsuit-asks-benefits

I’m sad to see what SI has become in general, but that looked like a heck of an article to me. With 17 P6 schools having received notice of allegations, Duke is noticeably absent.
I have to think that agent is a lot less popular with prospective clients after suing Zion like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Duke being dirty has been an open joke for years now. When NBA players and commentators openly joke to each other about it you know the cat got out of the bag and on stage to do a stand up bit.

It use to be rumored on messageboards, then social media, and now it's openly talked about by the pros. The only people who think Duke is clean are the ones that think the NCAA exists for the benefit of the student athletes.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke being dirty has been an open joke for years now. When NBA players and commentators openly joke to each other about it you know the cat got out of the bag and on stage to do a stand up bit.

It use to be rumored on messageboards, then social media, and now it's openly talked about by the pros. The only people who think Duke is clean are the ones that think the NCAA exists for the benefit of the student athletes.

We've rumored it here for quite some time and a few thought dook was clean.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We've rumored it here for quite some time and a few thought dook was clean.

Yup...I remember someone arguing with me a while back for bringing up Duke and Kentucky (more specifically Coach K and Calipari) with regards to being less than honorable. It's OK...I remember when I was a naive kid once and thought all lawyers and doctors had honorable intentions.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yup...I remember someone arguing with me a while back for bringing up Duke and Kentucky (more specifically Coach K and Calipari) with regards to being less than honorable. It's OK...I remember when I was a naive kid once and thought all lawyers and doctors had honorable intentions.

I recall those discussions well since I was also brow-beaten and talked down to for suggesting the blue devils may not be squeaky.

I could name names but, of course, I'm much too classy ....

:pompous:

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I still question whether Calipari has any substantial involvement with this stuff.
Cal’s recruiting strategy and success changed the game. But since 2014 when other schools (besides Kansas) really started trying to emulate the same strategy, UK has actually gotten very few top 5 recruits. Notice that, in the last 6 years since K/Capel started going after the top one-and-dones, Dook has out-recruited Kentucky like 8-2 head-to-head. Lots of other top 5 kids have been going to strange places like LSU, UGA, Memphis, etc.

According to 247, Cal has only gotten two top 5 recruits since 2015.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I still question whether Calipari has any substantial involvement with this stuff.
Cal’s recruiting strategy and success changed the game. But since 2014 when other schools (besides Kansas) really started trying to emulate the same strategy, UK has actually gotten very few top 5 recruits. Notice that, in the last 6 years since K/Capel started going after the top one-and-dones, Dook has out-recruited Kentucky like 8-2 head-to-head. Lots of other top 5 kids have been going to strange places like LSU, UGA, Memphis, etc.

According to 247, Cal has only gotten two top 5 recruits since 2015.

I'm not here to convince you the $5 bill under your pillow is from your mom and not the tooth fairy.

If you do simple google search on Calipari there's stuff out there. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you. At one point you were convinced Duke and Coach K played on the up and up as well. Here we are.

The truth eventually all comes out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Discovery is even more dangerous than court. I expect Nike to throw some cash Ford's way to keep everything quiet. Ford playing the game at an elite level.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Discovery is even more dangerous than court. I expect Nike to throw some cash Ford's way to keep everything quiet. Ford playing the game at an elite level.

Yeah. There's no way they don't pay her off before they let Coach K get deposed. We all know the dark web of dook minions will pony up the cash to keep K's reputation intact.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I'm not here to convince you the $5 bill under your pillow is from your mom and not the tooth fairy.

If you do simple google search on Calipari there's stuff out there. Whether you choose to believe it or not is up to you. At one point you were convinced Duke and Coach K played on the up and up as well. Here we are.

The truth eventually all comes out.
Kentucky=world wide wes

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah. There's no way they don't pay her off before they let Coach K get deposed. We all know the dark web of dook minions will pony up the cash to keep K's reputation intact.
She is trying to hang on to a piece of the Williamson action for ten years of revenue. That is certainly a lot more than any Duke fan will ever part with. It's still very early, but Duke knows this is serious.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
She is trying to hang on to a piece of the Williamson action for ten years of revenue. That is certainly a lot more than any Duke fan will ever part with. It's still very early, but Duke knows this is serious.
Even if the end result is that Duke goes unpunished, I take great pleasure in watching those "holier than thou" Dookie fans twist in the wind. I would prefer they get a lesson in "how the other half lives".

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

I have convinced myself that K is completely out of the loop on any details. He let others take care of that and I'd bet he didn't want to know. I don't think they were in that game pre-Capel.

There was no bidding for Scheyer.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have convinced myself that K is completely out of the loop on any details. He let others take care of that and I'd bet he didn't want to know. I don't think they were in that game pre-Capel.

I agree with this. That they maintained his personal plausible deniability.

Any mud on those sanctimonious *******s' shoes is fine by me though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The podcast from Pete Thamel I linked to above makes a good point. They list a bunch of stuff that has happened at Duke recently regarding players receiving extra benefits (BTW, the housing thing in the exclusive neighborhood we all joke about...well, they joke about it as well), or were part of a bidding war elsewhere but somehow ended up at Duke. As detailed and anal as Coach K is, you would think he would ask questions to get to the root of everything that would potentially blowback on his program. Well, all these things can't keep occuring under your watch and you not know about it. Instead, **crickets**.

It's true, Coach K could have plausible deniability because he hasn't been directly implicated and there's no direct proof he's involved...but given how out in the open shady things at Duke are popping up everywhere, you have to be pretty naive at this point to think Coach K doesn't know things are going on beneath his feet.