Arkansas

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Pastner, but we need to see some results on the court, specifically on the offensive end of the court. Our guys do not have the individual skills or talent to break defenders down and create their own offense, so we need to be running something on the offensive end of the court. Four guys standing on the perimeter with a big cutting to the top of the key (now we have 5 guys on the perimeter with the ball in the hands of our worst ball handler 25 feet from the basket, doh!) is not working.

Banks should never come higher than the free throw line, unless its for a pick and roll, and in that case we need to actually find him on the roll to the basket once in while (it never happens). If he is going to be passing out of the high post (like Lammers), then he needs to stay in the high post and quit coming to the top of the key. Lammers started doing this too in his senior season and he was not nearly as good of a passer or a threat to score from the top of the key (yes, I know about the ankle). The more I think about this top of the key high post crap, the more I think this is probably just a symptom of our guards and wings not being able to make a decent entry pass to our bigs where they are supposed to be, so the bigs get sucked farther and farther from the basket.

Moses is soooooo aggravating. The guy is a disaster waiting to happen. He should never touch the ball more than 15 feet from the basket. The irony is, that he is actually a very efficient and effective scorer at close range. Why does he and Pastner not realize this.

Bubba needs to look for his own shot a lot more. Right now he is a turnover machine, and I think its largely because he has Cory Heyward syndrome, meaning he is not just pass first but pass always. But unlike Heyward, Bubba has offensive talent, and not just as a spot up shooter. He is our quickest guy off the bounce, and despite being very undersized, he has good leaping ability which combined with his quickness off the dribble allows him to get good separation on pullup jump shots off the drive, which he seems to make at a pretty decent clip when he actually takes them. He is also probably our best shooter other than Devoe, and so needs to be getting to the free throw line off drawing contact driving to the basket.

Asanti Price looks like our most athletic guy right now. Even though he is a freshman, I think he deserves the playing time he is getting, but we need more from him. He should be doing more than standing on the 3 point line. With his athleticism, he should be slashing to the rim.

Too much standing around on offense. We need more player movement and ball movement... and fewer turnovers.

Wish I could like this more than once. Some of the same things I was yelling (by late 2nd half) last night at the game. Our offense...doesn’t do anything.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We can always say....well, with Jose it would have been different. And that's true, but its on Pastner to build a team with some depth so that we don't have a "razor thin margin" EVERY YEAR! The biggest failure of this team is the recruiting failures over the last few years. This year's class does look to be better,

How is it a "razor thin margin" because we lose our best player who is a 3 year starting pg? The kind of depth that let's you just eat that type of injury without losing a beat isnt easy to build nor is it common.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe Jose had an ankle last year also, right? Maybe its because he is playing in running shoes. Somebody (Adidas) get that kid some "high tops", geez! (only partially kidding)

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Really needed to win 1 of 2 against ARK or UGA. This was a tough one to watch us lose. Need to finish OOC without losing more than 2 games and would then need to win 10 or maybe 11 in ACC play to give ourselves a chance at the bubble. Asking a lot at this point already, and that is assuming we get the post season ban moved back a year or win the appeal.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Really needed to win 1 of 2 against ARK or UGA. This was a tough one to watch us lose. Need to finish OOC without losing more than 2 games and would then need to win 10 or maybe 11 in ACC play to give ourselves a chance at the bubble. Asking a lot at this point already, and that is assuming we get the post season ban moved back a year or win the appeal.

That is what I am worried about. We may be playing our way out of any consideration before the ACC starts - baring some miracle run type of ACC season.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

Totally agree. We could have and really should have won them both. Some people were saying the uga game didn't matter. Now we've lost 2 OOC games in a row to SEC teams.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. We could have and really should have won them both. Some people were saying the uga game didn't matter. Now we've lost 2 OOC games in a row to SEC teams.
It is indeed disappointing. But I still want to see how this team is playing in January when it has all its pieces.....that's when this season will be determined....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And I thought he was your favorite player...aren't you the guy who wanted to see him hoist more three-pointers up to lessen up the D?

;-)

Moses close to the basket could be my favorite player. Moses outside like 11 feet ... decidedly is not.

He should study a guy like Montrezl Harrell (minus the 3pt shooting) or dig up old tapes of Dennis Rodman.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
It is indeed disappointing. But I still want to see how this team is playing in January when it has all its pieces.....that's when this season will be determined....

I hope so. Pastner teams have tended to get better throughout a season, so maybe so.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't need Moses to be Rodman as we don't have the firepower to simply hide him on offense. But there are a lot of PFs that operate primarily in the 15-18 foot in range and are really good at setting picks, rolling, and most importantly passing the ball until they get a shot they can make. But that takes movement on offense and a structure to put him in places where good things can happen.

We played the double post set from last year for about a minute last night before giving up on it. I think Moses scored once in it from just outside the block. Didn't go back to it at all.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Our guard play lost us the game. And Mike was looking a bit selfish last night imo.

Mike had an off game but if Ark had seen the tape on our first 3 games, especially the uga game, that was bound to happen. It was 1 against 5 at uga. I cut Mike some slack for Ark. I'm glad to see him being more aggressive this season. He is in a position where he has to initiate something every trip down the floor because our offensive scheme is so non-existent.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And I thought he was your favorite player...aren't you the guy who wanted to see him hoist more three-pointers up to lessen up the D?

;-)

I have no desire to run the kid down on a public forum. By everything I have seen he is a good kid, well liked by those around him, seems to have fun playing the game. But you can tell he hasn't been playing very long. In the second half last night, Evan's man got by him and Moses was in a position to help, but went matador and waited for the block opportunity. It didn't work out. That was just a single instance in which I lost my GD mind last night. The play call at the end of regulation was another. The play where Moses was open and Parham throws a 25' post entry pass with about a 4 degree angle was yet another.

If anyone has a hoop-math subscription I would love to know what our PPP is when he is in the game. He is just not a threat from outside 5' and Pastner doesn't seem to want to change the scheme. Plus I think Khalid has tremendous upside, I want him on the court as much as possible.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't need Moses to be Rodman as we don't have the firepower to simply hide him on offense. But there are a lot of PFs that operate primarily in the 15-18 foot in range and are really good at setting picks, rolling, and most importantly passing the ball until they get a shot they can make. But that takes movement on offense and a structure to put him in places where good things can happen.

We played the double post set from last year for about a minute last night before giving up on it. I think Moses scored once in it from just outside the block. Didn't go back to it at all.

Motion? You mean the pass to the wing and then jog across the bucket to the corner while the other three guys stand around isnt a true motion offense? Thats about the extent of our motion offense. You watch Arkansas (i dont understand the "awful" comments Im are seeing.) How many open triples did Joe have from the short corner last night? A ton. We were lucky to have made it to overtime. We probably should have lost by a dozen.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
it was weird how on the sidelines Jose was going crazy jumping up and down with a supposed hurt ankle

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
it was weird how on the sidelines Jose was going crazy jumping up and down with a supposed hurt ankle

If you watched him play last game it wasn't much of a question about him playing last night. I expect he was animated last night as that seems to be his persona but I don't for a second think he was ready to go. Any more than Lammers was ready to go the games he played his SR season on one leg.