Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure you have written about it before, but I missed it, and I'm curious to hear more details... what are the details behind how and why Swartz and Rev have been so crucial? (I'm not doubting it or questioning it in any way. I just want to hear more of the how and why. Perhaps it's as simple as "Rev has elevated mid-level recruits to ACC-quality bigs. Swartz is now bringing in more high-level recruits." Those facts alone are crucial, but I'm just curious to hear if it is even more than that.)
are you the same person that just advised someone to block me recently?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If you include football, Ross would qualify
I maybe picking at nits and misremembering things (coupled with an innate laziness that precludes me looking it up), but technically wasn't Ross unemployed when we hired him. I thought he had resigned from Maryland and was available. I don't think we hired him away from them.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure you have written about it before, but I missed it, and I'm curious to hear more details... what are the details behind how and why Swartz and Rev have been so crucial? (I'm not doubting it or questioning it in any way. I just want to hear more of the how and why. Perhaps it's as simple as "Rev has elevated mid-level recruits to ACC-quality bigs. Swartz is now bringing in more high-level recruits." Those facts alone are crucial, but I'm just curious to hear if it is even more than that.)
are you the same person that just advised someone to block me recently?
no

slugboy

Staff member
I maybe picking at nits and misremembering things (coupled with an innate laziness that precludes me looking it up), but technically wasn't Ross unemployed when we hired him. I thought he had resigned from Maryland and was available. I don't think we hired him away from them.
He was a steal at the time, but I remember it the same—he’d parted with Maryland already and was a free agent. HUGE stroke of luck for us—if Maryland hadn’t turned into a flaming mess, we’d never have gotten him

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Too many gtxx usernames for me to track. My bad

Rev’s ability to develop big men is incredible. I’m not sure anyone else in the country does it better.

Swartz is just a man’s man. Everyone loves the effing guy. It’s incredible. The longer he’s here, the better talent he’s going to bring in, I have zero hesitation in saying that.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I was a little kid at the time, so I was going off his Wikipedia. Lol

No doubt the point is true that our hiring pool is generally mid major/Group of 5 head coaches, power conference aasistants and possibly pro retreads.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pastner has moved ahead of Miles Simon to the 3rd option and still unlikely. He's apparently been "contacted", while Stoudemire, Simon, and Jason Terry have interviewed

slugboy

Staff member

Coaching “offers” are kind of a weird thing. I suppose AD’s preface their negotiations with “if you were to accept, we would be comfortable with...” or something similar for deniability. Or maybe they just deny making offers.
There have certainly been a lot of situations where deals appear all but done, but “no formal offer has been made”.
We can take this at face value, I guess

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I remember when Pastner was hired at GT someone asked Calipari about it. Calipari said Pastner was a really good fit for GT as an institution because he places a high value on academics. I got the feeling reading the article that Calipari felt Memphis wasn't a great fit. Not sure whether Arizona is a fit beyond the fact that Pastner played there. But it might be.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I believe that Pastner is a great fit for GT. I assume most on this thread have seen his "face shield" interviews. Enough said. I hope we keep him, but not for an assinine contract like we gave to Hewitt.

GT_EE78

Banned
I believe that Pastner is a great fit for GT. I assume most on this thread have seen his "face shield" interviews. Enough said. I hope we keep him, but not for an assinine contract like we gave to Hewitt.
i agree about keeping cjp and the hewiitt contract. How much do u thing that face shield filters airborne particles? isn't it funny?

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Seeing a handful of Arizona fans on twitter saying they don’t think it’s Lloyd now. Wondering if all their insiders are changing their story.