Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I view Pastner interviewing for the AZ position rather poorly. I don't want our coach interviewing for any other position. Period. If he is, then I wonder about his commitment to what we're doing. I don't want to wonder.

(having a conversation is not interviewing)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If he leaves, which I hope he doesn't I would like to see Coach Rev get a shot. Keeps the relationships we have with the guys, and also hopefully holds on to him longer.

That said, I really don't want to see this staff broken up yet. We have lightening in the bottle with the style and character of the team we have seen the last year and a half. Really would love to hold on to it a while longer.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
My top five:

Sean Miller
Dawn Staley
Jim Boeheim
Bruce Pearl
Penny Hardaway

Actually, this is mostly tic stuff. But I think Staley might make a decent men's basketball coach.
Penny Hardaway ROFL Memphis should have been a 6 seed in the NCAAs at least he’s been a bad HC.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I would be gutted if Pastner goes but ultimately happy for him going after his dream job. I love watching our team play defense as it stands and that would go out the door if Pastner leaves. I think we would be a very attractive job and have our pick of the coaching litter though, which wasn't really true last time we were hiring.
I'm not sure we'd have pick of the coaching litter though. Money talks & tech never seems to have much of it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Leverage for his contract. Is he content at GT. If he is and feels he can recruit top 100 players then makes it easier to stay. Tucson is not the garden spot of the earth but is a state university with lots of majors.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure we'd have pick of the coaching litter though. Money talks & tech never seems to have much of it.

Keep in mind that if Pastner were to leave, he'd be the one paying the buyout, well probably Arizona, although probably not a whole lot this late in the contract. Regardless we'd probably be able to offer a pretty competitive contract if that were to happen because we wouldn't also be paying off the previous coach.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Keep in mind that if Pastner were to leave, he'd be the one paying the buyout, well probably Arizona, although probably not a whole lot this late in the contract. Regardless we'd probably be able to offer a pretty competitive contract if that were to happen because we wouldn't also be paying off the previous coach.
But that money could be going to Pastner if he stays and gets an extension.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If Josh leaves I think Devoe is gone abs the rest of the seniors leave as well. Ush and Bubba too. The recruiting class probably falls apart as well. Unless we hit a HR hire.
Now, I’m not too worried about him going. Reason us the Ron Bell situation and ncaa probation. I highly doubt UA wants that with what they have going. Everything ongoing with UA and JP is 1) out of respect for Josh from his former school and 2) a business move by Josh and his “people” which is smart. Now if he had taken us to a Final4 or Elite 8 I think there’s more interest from UA but as of today I’d be completely shocked if he got the job.
What I hope we don’t do if the situation occurs is hire a “Tech” guy. A lot of schools are going that route lately but beside Juwan in Ann Arbor, it isn’t working out too well for most schools. Our only real option for a Tech guy would be Mark Price and that’s nothing to get excited about....

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
If Josh leaves I think Devoe is gone abs the rest of the seniors leave as well. Ush and Bubba too. The recruiting class probably falls apart as well. Unless we hit a HR hire.
Now, I’m not too worried about him going. Reason us the Ron Bell situation and ncaa probation. I highly doubt UA wants that with what they have going. Everything ongoing with UA and JP is 1) out of respect for Josh from his former school and 2) a business move by Josh and his “people” which is smart. Now if he had taken us to a Final4 or Elite 8 I think there’s more interest from UA but as of today I’d be completely shocked if he got the job.
What I hope we don’t do if the situation occurs is hire a “Tech” guy. A lot of schools are going that route lately but beside Juwan in Ann Arbor, it isn’t working out too well for most schools. Our only real option for a Tech guy would be Mark Price and that’s nothing to get excited about....
Would love jack to be our "tech guy". --- long NBA career-+ g league experience. just dont know if he is damaged goods in techs eye?