Arizona HC Search and Pastner Implications

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Rumors from Arizona boards that Pastner will interview soon for the job

From the outside looking in, Arizona fans are not very happy that Pastner is even being mentioned. Also, you have to figure Ron Bell situation might make Arizona's decision makers leery of bringing in a coach with some baggage given the stink on the coach they just fired...even if Pastner was ultimately found to not have done anything wrong.

Of course, if admins let fans make the decisions, well, that's not good either lol

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
From the outside looking in, Arizona fans are not very happy that Pastner is even being mentioned. Also, you have to figure Ron Bell situation might make Arizona's decision makers leery of bringing in a coach with some baggage given the stink on the coach they just fired...even if Pastner was ultimately found to not have done anything wrong.

Of course, if admins let fans make the decisions, well, that's not good either lol
I think the AZ fans look at GT as a equivalent FCS school relative basketball. Maybe AZ is a better gig than GT. Who knows for sure? That said, the ACC still has some cache and we have a decent roster returning no matter what happens with the seniors. I think Pastner stays.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the AZ fans look at GT as a equivalent FCS school relative basketball. Maybe AZ is a better gig than GT. Who knows for sure? That said, the ACC still has some cache and we have a decent roster returning no matter what happens with the seniors. I think Pastner stays.

I think Pastner stays as well. I've read multiple times how grateful he is that Stansbury and GT stuck by him through the Ron Bell situation, and Stansbury has been very supportive behind the scenes. Also, I think it would be difficult for Pastner to leave this group of players if they're coming back. He's put a LOT of sweat equity into this program, and he's grown quite a bit as a coach here. This program is finally at a place where he probably doesn't need to sell as hard anymore.

Arizona is home, but sometimes life makes you change your view of what and where home is.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

If it were me and I were in Pastner's shoes I would feel like I am finally in a good place. At memphis he was in the shadow of Calipari surrounded by the toxicity that is memphis city basketball. Then here he inherited a mess and made some of his own and just started turning it around a year and a half ago. Would he really want to go to a place with sanctions looming over that also features a fanbase that likely won't temper it's expectations in the face of that?

Maybe it being his alma mater will be too much of a factor, but other than that and $$$ I wouldn't think he would leave just as he is building momentum and getting recruiting relationships established.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Objectively, I'd be shocked if he didn't leave for AZ. That's home. What he accomplished with this last group was remarkable but let's be real.

If it were yall and the GT came open you know good and well you'd fall over yourselves to say 'yes' and that's before acknowledging the money, recruiting, facilities, and league-standing could arguably be better.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If it were me and I were in Pastner's shoes I would feel like I am finally in a good place. At memphis he was in the shadow of Calipari surrounded by the toxicity that is memphis city basketball. Then here he inherited a mess and made some of his own and just started turning it around a year and a half ago. Would he really want to go to a place with sanctions looming over that also features a fanbase that likely won't temper it's expectations in the face of that?

Maybe it being his alma mater will be too much of a factor, but other than that and $$$ I wouldn't think he would leave just as he is building momentum and getting recruiting relationships established.
I agree with this sentiment. Pastner has finally gotten GT to a place where he could potentially have sustained success. He is coming off of 2 straight top 5 finishes in the ACC, an ACC tournament championship and NCAA appearance, and his best recruiting class. You are the youngest coach in the premier basketball conference in the country. You have an AD that stood by you and believes in you. Sometimes grass is not greener on the other side.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Objectively, I'd be shocked if he didn't leave for AZ. That's home. What he accomplished with this last group was remarkable but let's be real.

If it were yall and the GT came open you know good and well you'd fall over yourselves to say 'yes' and that's before acknowledging the money, recruiting, facilities, and league-standing could arguably be better.
What part of Get-Bak led you to šŸ Lieve youā€™re supposed to let him ā€œGo Backā€?!

If it werenā€™t for three things Iā€™d agree:

1) I think he genuinely appreciates that GT stood shoulder to shoulder with him and supported the law suit against crazyMoFo and company

2) I think the seniors coming back will be emotionally powerful and a better magnet than the lure of home, he has a chance over the next contract phase to be an ā€œold headā€ in the ACC, Arizona canā€™t top that. Itā€™s also not going anywhere. He has a legit chance at a tourney run next year with the pieces we know we have, and a deeper dance if everyone comes back.

3) He just went through NCAA purgatory, canā€™t imagine he is itching to go through it again.

Bonus point: I actually think his personality fits well here, with our fan base and student athletes and I suspect he feels that too. we are in a premier conference, city and recruiting area so a place you can coach another 20 years if you want to. Sometimes home gets supplanted. Ma Tech has a way of breaking you down, leaving your better for it and feeling nostalgic for your time under her care.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What part of Get-Bak led you to šŸ Lieve youā€™re supposed to let him ā€œGo Backā€?!

If it werenā€™t for three things Iā€™d agree:

1) I think he genuinely appreciates that GT stood shoulder to shoulder with him and supported the law suit against crazyMoFo and company

2) I think the seniors coming back will be emotionally powerful and a better magnet than the lure of home, he has a chance over the next contract phase to be an ā€œold headā€ in the ACC, Arizona canā€™t top that. Itā€™s also not going anywhere. He has a legit chance at a tourney run next year with the pieces we know we have, and a deeper dance if everyone comes back.

3) He just went through NCAA purgatory, canā€™t imagine he is itching to go through it again.

Bonus point: I actually think his personality fits well here, with our fan base and student athletes and I suspect he feels that too. we are in a premier conference, city and recruiting area so a place you can coach another 20 years if you want to. Sometimes home gets supplanted. Ma Tech has a way of breaking you down, leaving your better for it and feeling nostalgic for your time under her care.

I hope Damon Stoudemire gets it but Pastner would be the better choice.

The potential ncaa stuff is a compelling reason he stays here though. Good call.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Code for grinding on the recruiting trail when CJP let me join the Memphis staff sucked.

Smells more like, "Bruh, I'm hanging onto this NBA gig by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin. Shiiii, I might take the AZ job, but I can't just come out and say it like that."