APU

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No problem supporting IJ and other players. Tech, in general doesn't stop giving a player scholarship support due to injury, so I don't think that is the issue they'd be "supporting"

The $'s generated by college sports should go to??? the super stars? What about the supporting cast? $1000 handshakes - yes they still exist - how do we make sure the playing field is realitively level?
Those that value education will take advantage of it. Those that don't need to learn to pick up trash cans...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
These guys may be young, they may be impressionable, but they're adults. They have the cognitive ability to evaluate a situation they're in and make an informed choice. Sometimes these choices seem bone-headed to those of us with more maturity, experience and wisdom, but these are their decisions to make.

I have very little knowledge of what all the APU really meant. I think if you ask individuals who participated, it may have meant different things. No question they should have informed CPJ: everything they do on and off the field reflects on him. They owe him the respect to let him know their intentions. As for whether they're being taken advantage of by the NCPA, that's beyond any of us unless we have first hand knowledge of the entire process.

The pay-for-play and stipend concepts are extremely complicated and could have far-reaching implications across all collegiate sports. I don't know the answer, but I do know I paid for my own school and worked off-quarters and part-time during school to do it. I have no problem with them getting a stipend equal to the typical on-campus work-study job hourly rate times the maximum allowable contact time. What does that mean for basketball or the non-revenue sports?

When I was at Tech, I had several friends on the football team and they had friends from other teams that came around often (namely NCSU and Clemson). Some of these guys didn't have pocket change for the soda machine or to go see a movie. As a student, I could treat them and give them rides, but coaches couldn't. I drove back to CT at the end of every quarter. I usually started with a full car (3 others), dropped off along the way. They can't get a part-time job, so something needs to be done.

As for injuries and sustained scholarships, I think the scholarship should be for a minimum of five years and continue as long as the student-athlete is working full-time towards a degree, regardless of status. If this places an financial burden on the program, reduce expenses or generate more revenue, it's simple economics. I thought there was already a program to support the scholarship of a student-athlete injured and unable to play.

Sorry for the collection of jumbled thoughts, too many glasses of a really good bottle of wine. No kidding, it's called La Clape.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
CPJ was asked about this and he seemed to be better prepared to answer today than he was after the game on Saturday.
  • Players should have followed a process (of letting the coaches know)
  • Said he's fine if the all players felt strongly about something then voted on this thereby deciding to do this together as a team
  • Six players that did this didn't represent the whole team
  • Most of the other players and coaches didn't know what this was about
  • Blown way out of proportion, don't know who was behind it
  • Talked to one player who did this and he didn't really know what they were asking for, thought he was just supporting the players

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Whoa, Coach Cutcliffe had some interesting things to say about this whole APU thing:
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/duken...-foster-interview-and-full-cost-of-attendance

News & Observer said:
David Cutcliffe has never been one to mince words. So when he was asked about the APU protest (which he hadn’t heard about) and then the Arian Foster interview in which he said he needed money for food during his senior year (2008) at Tennessee, Cutcliffe didn’t hesitate to give his opinion, which is in full below. Cutcliffe was the offensive coordinator at Tennessee for the 2006 and 2007 seasons before coming to Duke.

“That may have been as weak of interview as I’ve heard,” Cutcliffe said of the Foster interview. “Arian never looked hungry.”
News & Observer said:
“I’m pretty qualified to be informed. We’re not going to let a youngster starve. Before they starve, I’m going to break an NCAA rule to make sure they eat. I’m going to take them home if they can’t pay their rent. If we get to that point, I’m going to house them. It’s not the case. It’s not the case.

“I’m sorry to disagree with so many intelligent people that seem to think they understand the circumstance. And nobody is really getting rich off of this, we’re operating an athletics department off of all this. Do you understand how much it costs to operate an athletic department? We have 26 varsity sports and recreation. A lot of facilities and a lot of people are in place here to make it better for the student-athlete. That’s a lot of money to operate all of that. Nobody is stealing from them, you understand what I’m saying?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with much of what Cutcliffe said. I have no recent first-hand experience with what student-athletes go through. However, I also have no problem with them receiving like compensation for the contact time they're allowed with the coaches. It may hamstring some programs, but I doubt it. I feel pretty confident that alumni would step up to offset the difference. Treat the kids like they're in a work-study program, compensating them based on allowable contact time with the coaches and an appropriate wage. Only student athletes for programs that generate more revenue than their expenses would be eligible. Don't know if it would work, but let's debate.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, I don't like any of it. If these athletes do not want a free education, then fine, let them go get a job somewhere or pay for their own education. They already get free medical. The only thing I think would be appropriate is that each player has an insurance policy paid by the school should they get hurt, and the insurance would continue paying for their treatments for major injuries such as broken necks, spines, etal that ends their ability to work.

Most likely, all players are already covered by this type of insurance. Not one of these athletes are forced into playing the game of football. Every last one of them are seeking schools for which they can play. It is their strong desire to play. The colleges are not forcing them to play.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
No one is forcing schools to play football either. If they don't want to provide a real education, guarantee scholarships for 4 years, take care of injured players or give them enough money to eat then they can stick to non-revenue sports.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The players know what they're signing up for. It's like any contract, you agree to the terms in the beginning and you're expected to stick to them. Why should they be allowed to change them later when they realize they don't like them?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Maybe those that want to join the union can start there on league and not pretend to be students... They are getting a heck of a deal/opportunity that many can't afford.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The players know what they're signing up for. It's like any contract, you agree to the terms in the beginning and you're expected to stick to them. Why should they be allowed to change them later when they realize they don't like them?
The current players had no representation nor bargaining power in crafting these contracts. I would argue that these contracts are examples of unconscientious dealings. The players have ZERO bargaining power and are given a take it or leave it contract (which is exactly what happens without unions that have bargaining power).

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The current players had no representation nor bargaining power in crafting these contracts. I would argue that these contracts are examples of unconscientious dealings. The players have ZERO bargaining power and are given a take it or leave it contract (which is exactly what happens without unions that have bargaining power).

And these are one year deals/contracts, aren't they?