APU

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Wow, CPJ said he wasn't aware of the "protest" by the players but now that he's aware he's going to talk to them about it.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
They've got to be careful ...
I don't really get what the big deal is. Is it that NCAA could potentially "punish" players?

What exactly do the players sign when they sign these scholarship papers?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the angst against the NCAA. The real blame should lie with the NFL. All this will do is muddy the waters further in the distinction between amateur and pro.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
Why all the angst guys? This is not that big of a deal. CPJ was laughing after the game about it. They wrote 3 letters on their tape. Some "protest". It's just trying to raise awareness of some issues. The NCAA deserves much worse. Their double standards, inconsistencies, and misplaced priorities are hurting CFB and the kids.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
"Those include guaranteed scholarship renewals for permanently injured players, the promise that injured players will not have to pay sports-related medical bills, an increase in scholarship aid by $3,000 to $5,000 per year up to the cost of attendance, and the establishment of an educational "trust fund" that players could tap into after their eligibility expires"

Please tell me, given the revenue these you men generate, how anyone could be opposed to this.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
They did this for Isaiah Johnson.

CPJ was not happy about it though...the players did not really understand the meaning behind all of it.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I don't mind at all that the players wanted to voice an opinion.

What I think bugs me is that this entire thing reeks of a designed guerrilla marketing campaign for the NCPA itself (and possibly even backed by the O'Bannon lawsuit) and not the message that the players believe they are sending out. Did anyone ever heard of the NCPA until yesterday? GT/Vad has become sort of the face of this thing and I really doubt Vad knew this is how things would unfold.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/21/sport/college-football-protest/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Georgia Tech head football coach Paul Johnson wasn't thrilled about the campaign when asked at a press conference after the Yellow Jackets played North Carolina on Saturday. About a half-dozen of his players participated.

He said he'd be talking to the players who participated, and one player later told CNN that Johnson was very angry that he didn't know before the game.

Georgia Tech Quarterback Vad Lee said he participated to support injured teammate Isaiah Johnson, who asked several players to take part in the campaign.

Team handlers discouraged CNN reporters from talking to the players after the game about the campaign and said the players "didn't know what they were doing."

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
John nails it.

I didn't like seeing Vad's pic all over the MSM yesterday as poster child for anything other than as the winning QB for GT. I also don't like players deciding to do things like that without permission. If it is really a good cause, and really about supporting IJ then do you think they would have kept it hidden from CPJ? The fact he did not know about it means they saw fit to hide it from him. That tells you right there how good of an idea it was when the players themselves act like teenagers sneaking around mom and dad.

So now CPJ gets angry at not being approached and asked about it (like any authority figure/parent-figure would), maybe guys get defensive and hurt feelings since this was "just about supporting IJ" and dissension ensues. I hope none of that happens but you never know with young adults/adolescents.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
The fact he did not know about it means they saw fit to hide it from him. That tells you right there how good of an idea it was when the players themselves act like teenagers sneaking around mom and dad.
I wouldn't go that far yet. I can easily see this could have been NCPA coercing players to sign up for something they didn't fully understand. Kind of like how a car salesman would tell a potential buyer anything to try to get the sale with absolutely no disclaimers. It's hard for me to believe that any of the players "signed up" for this knowing that there could be backlash to GT.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't go that far yet. I can easily see this could have been NCPA coercing players to sign up for something they didn't fully understand. Kind of like how a car salesman would tell a potential buyer anything to try to get the sale with absolutely no disclaimers. It's hard for me to believe that any of the players "signed up" for this knowing that there could be backlash to GT.

I agree. Based on what I've read so far it seems premature to assume the players were hiding this from CPJ intentionally. It seems possible they misunderstood the message behind the three letters, or they thought it was a matter that wouldn't require a heads up to CPJ.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Sorry guys, I have no problem with what the players at Tech or any other school did regarding this issue and, I feel, the only issue is not letting CPJ know ahead of time. I cannot imaging with a coach who feels the way CPJ does about his players that he would have had any problem with what the players did. For far too long this young men have gotten the short end of things, especially when you consider the amount of money THEY generate and the NCAA going to a "renewable" scholarship. I guess we'll just has to agree to disagree.

Oh just as a sidenote, Tech fans have lauded the leadership shown by Vad, on and off the field, is it that surprising or wrong for him to take a position in support of his teammate?