APR, Flunkgate, and Pelagian Theology

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
It shows the perception problem we have when a recruit talks about “turning the program around” at GT but acts as if things are hunky-dory at TN
We chuckle at the,delusional optimism of Tennessee fans, but they create their own perception. Likewise, the pessimism and defeatism of Tech fans hurts our profile. Jeremy Pruitt did exactly nothing this year except fold and get his butt handed to him by Missou and Vandy. At least it was Top 5 teams that owned us.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want to put unfair expectations on CGC before he's named a staff or coached a game, but it's not the high 4 and 5 stars. It's the guys like this where floundering SEC programs like Tennessee and South Carolina have eaten our lunch on the recruiting trail. We need to keep these guys home. This is a Daryl Smith, Recardo Wimbush type recruit O'Leary could get.
I agree with the sediment... but GOL had far looser academic restrictions than the current environment (CPJ & CGC).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the sediment... but GOL had far looser academic restrictions than the current environment (CPJ & CGC).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Show me proof we aren't graduating players now who had similar academic profiles, in terms of SATs and HS gpa, to the guys I named above?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Show me proof we aren't graduating players now who had similar academic profiles, in terms of SATs and HS gpa, to the guys I named above?
It's bad form to ask something of someone you know they don't have the ability to give. It would be exactly equivalent to ask you to show proof the other way. Four words ro remember:
1. Flunk. Gate.
2. Academic. Probation.

Just correlate both of those events to the time period of GT coaches. That's all you need to do.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's bad form to ask something of someone you know they don't have the ability to give. It would be exactly equivalent to ask you to show proof the other way. Four words ro remember:
1. Flunk. Gate.
2. Academic. Probation.

Just correlate both of those events to the time period of GT coaches. That's all you need to do.

Can we keep Pelagian theology out of the football forum?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Flunk. Gate.
2. Academic. Probation.

Wasn’t flunk gate due more to lack of administrative oversight than players flunking courses?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Here's where I become a Paul Johnson defender. It appears that many of the chronic pessimists on here are under the delusion that the only reason CPJ was able to graduate 86% of his players was because he restricted himself to recruiting SAs with 1200+ SATs. Maybe putting a better academic support system in place, and prioritizing academic progress a little better than NFL Gailey (who just had no clue when he came in the door about academics) and O'Leary might have had something to do with that.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
1. Flunk. Gate.
2. Academic. Probation.

Not hardly.

Flunkgate was due to Gailey's failure to monitor players the way O'Leary did. Someone should have educated Gailey regarding academics at Tech. To his credit, he did change and we didn't have the problem after the beginning of his tenure.

Probation was due to playing ineligible players, and was directly related to Administration screw ups when Tech converted to the semester system from the quarter system.

Neither was related to some change in admission standards. Madison Grant's inquiry is valid.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Flunkgate was due to Gailey's failure to monitor players the way O'Leary did. Someone should have educated Gailey regarding academics at Tech. To his credit, he did change and we didn't have the problem after the beginning of his tenure.

Half true. The issue began with players in the 1998-99 seasons, which fall squarely under GOL. CCG inherited a mess and, through apparent ignorance, didn't realize what was going on. It was GOL who got us in trouble though.

Here's where I become a Paul Johnson defender. It appears that many of the chronic pessimists on here are under the delusion that the only reason CPJ was able to graduate 86% of his players was because he restricted himself to recruiting SAs with 1200+ SATs. Maybe putting a better academic support system in place, and prioritizing academic progress a little better than NFL Gailey (who just had no clue when he came in the door about academics) and O'Leary might have had something to do with that.

That 1200 SAT score is way too high for our FB recruits

Gailey had crappy support from the GTAA Admins that should have been monitoring class attendance and other things that led to flunkgate, also flunkgate manifested itself in GT sports OTHER THAN FB, but the CPJ fanboyz never seem to remember that part as they tear away at long gone Chan to make their idol look better than he deserves

Someone did a breakdown of our players Majors from what I remember, this current Team including walk-ons has

58 BS in Business
10 LMCs - Literature, Media & Comm
8 (?) HSTs - History, Society & Technology

Basically 76 out of maybe 100 are in those three majors, I don't think academics was the issue affecting CPJ for ELEVEN YEARS

Can't remember the rest ,but I'm almost sure (?) Engineering was single digits, sprinkled in with some other majors

If anyone has the actual data from that other post feel free to correct or add to what I listed above

These are all nice history lessons, but there’s only 2 things that matter at this point.
1) Johnson needs to win his last game
2) Collins needs to take over the program and do better than the last guy

Kinda hard to do when the last guy ignored recruiting for 11 yrs and leaves the next guy with a major rebuild

Imagine what the CPJ fanboyz would be saying about Chan had Chan left CPJ with a major rebuild

In fact, if CPJ had inherited this same exact roster that he's leaving to Coach G, back when he started in 08, he would have never had a winning season and would probably have been fired after 4 yrs, all losing seasons

Chan leaving a loaded roster is one of the most under appreciated things in recent GT FB history

The truth is, is that if CPJ were leaving behind an 11-win Roster, he'd simply come back, make a run at the CFP and go out on a high note

Instead CPJ is sneaking away............quieter than a rat pissin' on cotton

Animal02

Banned
Kinda hard to do when the last guy ignored recruiting for 11 yrs and leaves the next guy with a major rebuild

Imagine what the CPJ fanboyz would be saying about Chan had Chan left CPJ with a major rebuild

In fact, if CPJ had inherited this same exact roster that he's leaving to Coach G, back when he started in 08, he would have never had a winning season and would probably have been fired after 4 yrs, all losing seasons

Chan leaving a loaded roster is one of the most under appreciated things in recent GT FB history

The truth is, is that if CPJ were leaving behind an 11-win Roster, he'd simply come back, make a run at the CFP and go out on a high note

Instead CPJ is sneaking away............quieter than a rat pissin' on cotton
What a load of BS.
Ignored recruiting? You are delhsional
Leaving a program needing rebuilding? Even more delusional.
Your post is the eptimoe of CPJ haters that live in an alternate reality.