Appreciate Coach

RamblinRev

Georgia Tech Fan
After reading the story about Saban almost going to Texas because he felt under-appreciated, I thought two things. One was how pathetic that is for someone with his accomplishments but also how little we express our appreciation to our Head Football Coach. Well, let me say before the season ever starts…Thank You Coach Johnson for being at Tech and I appreciate you! And this appreciation is not dependent on our win-loss record even though I do like more wins than losses.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I always liked him, what he stood for, his system on offense, other things, but I got down on him because of the recruiting thing, I'm so glad he finally worked that out for his sake, ours, the school and the kids. I thank him for staying through it all in spite of people like me during those questionable years. Hope he enjoys coaching these coming years enough to not want to retire for some years to come. Don't expect it will ever come to a Bobby Bowden situation with him when it comes to retiring.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
There are 2 types of legendary coaches, those who win the biggest prizes with the most publicity (often for a relatively short span) or men like Eddie Robinson who never coached Oklahoma or the Dallas Cowboys but had less than 5 losing seasons in 50 years (or something like that). CPJ is more of a Robinson type.

Do you mean its pathetic that Saban wasn't appreciated or pathetic that he felt unappreciated? I think the bloke is pretty damn appreciated. Not by me, but by many other people!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am most proud of the character stories of our team - just last year the Laskey Days shared Spotlight, the Snoddy circle, the commit to Ratliffe , J Hunt leads the scout team to vet the oline's improvement. This starts at the top.
Living in fla panhandle the contrast with fsu is stark.

It's almost time to let the yellow jackets loose.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There are 2 types of legendary coaches, those who win the biggest prizes with the most publicity (often for a relatively short span) or men like Eddie Robinson who never coached Oklahoma or the Dallas Cowboys but had less than 5 losing seasons in 50 years (or something like that). CPJ is more of a Robinson type.

Do you mean its pathetic that Saban wasn't appreciated or pathetic that he felt unappreciated? I think the bloke is pretty damn appreciated. Not by me, but by many other people!
That a man can pull down $7 million a year in a state as impoverished as Alabama, and get a statue in front of the stadium to boot, can not feel "appreciated" says all we need to know about the narcissist raging within him. I will agree to feel really, really appreciated for one mil and they can keep the statue.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I always liked him, what he stood for, his system on offense, other things, but I got down on him because of the recruiting thing, I'm so glad he finally worked that out for his sake, ours, the school and the kids. I thank him for staying through it all in spite of people like me during those questionable years. Hope he enjoys coaching these coming years enough to not want to retire for some years to come. Don't expect it will ever come to a Bobby Bowden situation with him when it comes to retiring.

My thoughts exactly. I am excited for him and for us....the churning of coaches and instability was both frustrating and unproductive. Hope he has a very long and fruitful run before he decides to hang them up. It is decidedly refreshing to not spend the off season debating the coaching position amongst ourselves. This has been the first in a very long time.

RamblinRev

Georgia Tech Fan

the latter

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I always felt he was a great fit for Tech and im glad he turned things around before the naysayers got too loud.

Same here. His commitment to academics and wanting to coach guys of character I always thought lent themselves well to Tech's demands.
He's on scholarship at Cherokee Town and Country Club. I hope someone also has him on scholarship at East Lake and Atlanta Country Club, among others.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Same here. His commitment to academics and wanting to coach guys of character I always thought lent themselves well to Tech's demands.
He's on scholarship at Cherokee Town and Country Club. I hope someone also has him on scholarship at East Lake and Atlanta Country Club, among others.
I've never heard the term scholarship used in the context of golf. I assume it means membership sponsorship?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was in atl right after he was hired. Went by to see the campus and happened to see him leaving the gtaa. Went up and said hi, glad you are here. He shook my hand and I said THWG. He got a big I'm xxxx eating grin. - kind of a George c Scott Patton grin.
He gets it and loves the challenge.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just hope all you guys are around and of similar views if it goes south.

I am not sure of the requirements of being a "fan". If indeed it does go south - I will still like and admire CPJ. Just as I did his predecessor. However, that doesn't mean I would want to retain him as our FB coach. Heck, you, me and most of the others here are likeable guys (for the most part). That doesn't qualify us to be head FB coach. There are 2 requirements to being a head FB coach - the intangibles (academic progress, media and fan relations, rules compliance, etc.) AND the tangibles (W-L or the "what have you done for me lately" minddset that goes with most 7 figure positions).

Let me reiterate, I wish him continued success until the day he chooses to leave us. However, it doesn't always work out that way - even for some of the legends in the game (Hayes, Bowden, etc.)

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude oozes integrity and straight forward "is what it is". It's all he knows and that's why press hates him. It's also why his opponents and their fans hate him. You feel like you can see it right there in front of you but can't stop it. Enjoy next 3 years boys / that's all we got left from him. He will retire - I'd like to send him with a natty.