Applying the Stanford Model

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
This still doesn't address the main difference between Stanford and Tech: Tech is a technical school. Tech's main comparison isn't Stanford; it's MIT.

Everything else that sets Tech apart is fixable; we can raise more money, we can change recruiting resources, we can copy the "Stanford Model" in many ways. What we can't do - because there is no-one interested in doing it - is change the character of the place. That means we really need an innovative program to find the recruits who want to come to Tech. Imo, more resources are only the first step. We'll see if we can do this.
True but most kids today who are smart enough to actually go to Tech or Stanford understand that not all degrees are equal. Tech feels no need to market what we have to the typical HS student but we need to develop a way to highlight the positives to prospective athletes. It needs to be high tech and show them how it will help them if they want to be a doctor or a businessman or engineer or coach. Use examples of past athletes and what they have become. We may be doing some of this as far as I know but i’m Talking about a real marketing effort to HSs in GA and the SE.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
True but most kids today who are smart enough to actually go to Tech or Stanford understand that not all degrees are equal. Tech feels no need to market what we have to the typical HS student but we need to develop a way to highlight the positives to prospective athletes. It needs to be high tech and show them how it will help them if they want to be a doctor or a businessman or engineer or coach. Use examples of past athletes and what they have become. We may be doing some of this as far as I know but i’m Talking about a real marketing effort to HSs in GA and the SE.
We are and have been for some time. But doing more is always a good idea. All it takes is more money. Pardon, MONEY!!

It's like Bob Dylan says: "Money doesn't talk. It screams."

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
They can afford to have higher entrance requirements because they have a much broader degree offering......
I agree completely about the national recruiting.....been saying that for two decades.
They can afford to have high entrance requirements because there are so many people applying for so few slots.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta is an absolute dump unless you're in the right neighborhood, but that's just like every major city including Palo Alto. I wouldn't move to ATL even for a 60K pay raise it's that bad.

I think you have it mostly backwards. Atlanta is fantastic unless you are in the wrong neighborhood. I wouldn't move out of Atlanta into the burbs even for a pay raise -- its that good.

Aside from about a 6 block wide strip of Peachtree flowing from Downtown to Midtown, the city is one of the greenest, most spread-out, and family-neighborhood-filled cities you will find in the whole US. If you don't want to live among congested high rises, just go about 6 blocks east or west and you will find yourself in a neighborhood filled with trees and yards.

57vG6CF.jpg

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think you have it mostly backwards. Atlanta is fantastic unless you are in the wrong neighborhood. I wouldn't move out of Atlanta into the burbs even for a pay raise -- its that good.

Aside from about a 6 block wide strip of Peachtree flowing from Downtown to Midtown, the city is one of the greenest, most spread-out, and family-neighborhood-filled cities you will find in the whole US. If you don't want to live among congested high rises, just go about 6 blocks east or west and you will find yourself in a neighborhood filled with trees and yards.

57vG6CF.jpg
Ahh...Bobby Jones' playground.