APP at Coastal tonight

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
The sample size isn’t big enough yet. 1 game over 3 seasons of Head coaching experience isn’t the same as 1 game in 25 years of experience. I was really using it as a response to the guy that said “No thanks” to Chadwell, when he obviously hasn’t watched any CCU football.

Edit: USF also had a 5 star Bama transfer QB the year they beat us.
No thanks
Screenshot_20221103-232243_Chrome.jpg

See how stupid that post was now?

I don't want to see GT go back to a coach without P5 experience.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
This is an odd reply. Are you under the impression that I like Deion as a candidate? What makes you think that downplaying his accomplishments would reflect positively on Chadwell. Very childish.
Didn’t say you had an opinion on Deion, you said no thanks to one Candidate, and I said no thanks to another. Chadwell and Deion haven’t coached against each other yet, to my knowledge. Pretty childish of you to assume I was comparing the two head to head.

Deleted member 6494

How about Ted Roof? Jok

Sub FBC level Johnson has it. What he did at GSU, both as OC and HC, is up there with the best accomplishments at that level compared to just about anybody. 86 win% overall and 90% in conference as a head coach and two championships with 2 more as OC. Chadwell at North Greenville was good, I believe the most accomplished coach in their history, but not to the same level. At Charleston Southern, Chadwell took a team that had 3 consecutive losing seasons and won, 10, 8,10 and 7 games. So that is a better building job, as head coach, but not the same level of success as johnson had.

At Navy, Johnson took a team with 4 consecutive losing seasons and won 10 games once, 9 games once, and 8 games three times in 6 years. Meanwhile, Chadwell at Coastal is a little weird since he was interim for a year before going back to OC for a year before becoming HC permanently. Anyways, he primarily saw them transition from a powerhouse FCS team to FBS and after the first 3 years struggling, with 3 wins (as interim), 5 wins (as OC), 5 wins, he broke out winning 11 games back to back and currently at 7-1 this year. Overall, while what Johnson did was impressive, I think you'd have to say that Chadwell is more accomplished at the FBS level.

Overall both have proven to be able to take a struggling program and build it (Nave and Charleston respectively) and take a pretty well off program and push it to the highest (GSU and Coastal). One thing to keep in mind is that at coastal, Chadwell doesn't really have the opportunity to win national championships. I'm not sure how you'd compare going 11-1 there vs 13-2 at GSU. Obviously the GSU teams won championships, but if the coastal teams in 20 and 21 had similar playoff opportunities against similar level teams, they very well could have too. To me, the comparison is about how good they would be as a hire here, and in that comparison I think it comes down to how relevant you think Johnson's time at Southern was.

To me, the biggest difference is that Chadwell is 45 which is the age Johnson was when he was hired at Navy, and IMO Chadwell is less married to his offensive system than Johnson became while here so I think he'd be more willing to evolve it as need be than Johnson was later in his career. I think if we hired Chadwell it'd be like hiring Johnson when O'Leary left. Hiring Johnson when we did was a good hire. Hiring him 6 years earlier would have been a great hire due to the nature of college football changing in the 2010s.
Johnson's legacy cannot be denied; no two coaches are identical, but Chadwell has shown he can win and get the most out of his players. If he is taken by GT or any other place, he will have better players than he has now.

I have watched the players at GT this year and see a lot of talent, but it has been wasted by poor coaching. The talent is there; it must be redirected.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Btw, I’m not an advocate for anyone whose defined by a quirky system. At the end of the day these big schools pay people A LOT of money to figure out how to stop those types of systems. I’ve seen it happen too many times at the major college level.
At the top levels they pay a lot of money to people to figure out how to stop ANY type of system. UGA’s defense last year shut down plenty of “non gimmick” offenses.

Why would the secret to beating top defenses be to have *less* success against regular defenses?

On the other hand, if the AD doesn’t think Chadwell could get enough talent here to be competitive then that should be a disqualification. But their system is distinct enough from Johnson’s that I’m not convinced from my couch that it would have all the same hurdles there.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Btw, I’m not an advocate for anyone whose defined by a quirky system. At the end of the day these big schools pay people A LOT of money to figure out how to stop those types of systems. I’ve seen it happen too many times at the major college level.
If you run the same system, you need to beat them in other facets of the operation. You need better facilities, better coaches, better curriculums, better S&C programs, etc. Hey, let's try to do 15 things better instead of having an innovative offense like Fridge or Johnson.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you run the same system, you need to beat them in other facets of the operation. You need better facilities, better coaches, better curriculums, better S&C programs, etc. Hey, let's try to do 15 things better instead of having an innovative offense like Fridge or Johnson.

I always laugh when people pretend that those things aren't also true even if you are running an innovative offense.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
This is the same kind of thinking that got us here, ( let's find the cheapest we can find) The president seems to be ok spending money lets find the best coach.
No it's not, Geoff was not a "let's get the cheapest coach" hire, and neither would Chadwell. Deion makes 1/3 of what Chadwell makes currently, and gives half of it away, he'd probably be the cheapest option. People want to hire Chadwell because he has a history of improving and being successful at every program he's been a HC at for more than 1 year. He's currently 30-4 over the last 3 seasons.

At the same time, if you just want to disqualify him because he might be cheaper than a P5 retread or whoever you want to hire and that for some reason bothers you, then you better be ponying up a whole lot of cash to the AA.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
App State beat A&M at College Station. They will lose tonight to a team of mostly 2 star players.

Doing much with little.
Is that the same Texas A&M with the number 1 recruiting class in the nation?
The same one paying $10m / year for a coach to boot?
Aren’t they a 3 win team?
With recruits and just a competent coach we are going to be a top 25 team right?
This is disheartening.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No it's not, Geoff was not a "let's get the cheapest coach" hire, and neither would Chadwell. Deion makes 1/3 of what Chadwell makes currently, and gives half of it away, he'd probably be the cheapest option. People want to hire Chadwell because he has a history of improving and being successful at every program he's been a HC at for more than 1 year. He's currently 30-4 over the last 3 seasons.

At the same time, if you just want to disqualify him because he might be cheaper than a P5 retread or whoever you want to hire and that for some reason bothers you, then you better be ponying up a whole lot of cash to the AA.
No he wants to bring his coaching staff and they are weak defensive coaches are bad. If he could get some good coordinators would be one thing. But if he wants to run the offense he would need better defensive coaches.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t see Chadwell being selected. We didn’t spend 3.5/4 years on the biggest transition in the history of college football to go back to a “lite” version of the triple option. And before someone goes into length about how different Chadwell’s offense is from PJ’s, it’s close enough that I don’t see us going in that direction. Just my take.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
No he wants to bring his coaching staff and they are weak defensive coaches are bad. If he could get some good coordinators would be one thing. But if he wants to run the offense he would need better defensive coaches.
I agree I would like to see better defensive coaches if he were selected, but how do you know he isn't open to changing his defensive coaches? Have you discussed this with him? It might be true, he does seem to like Staggs as his DC, but how do we know?

Concern over whether he is willing to replace his defensive coaches also seems pretty different from "I don't want to hire him because he's cheap"