AP Decade Ranking

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Appears this was ranked based on the 1930s to current. It would be interesting to see how we would fare if you started in 1970 going forward (last 50 years). Clearly the Dodd years were the most consistent success during the last 90 years. If you eliminate that, I think we would be more in the middle of the pack. I think getting out of the SEC, not growing our revenue as many of the other schools have and academics being a lesser deal now as the best players are more concerned about getting to the NFL than getting a good degree has really hurt our ability to be a top tier program. Yes there have been exceptions but we have not been consistent regardless of the coach.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
And to answer your direct question, I think we need to loosen the academics (for athletes which I know we have to some extent) and find someway to generate significantly more revenue (for coaches, recruiting, etc.) to be able to get back to the level described above. It would also help if the ACC became a better football conference. We are clearly well behind the SEC, Big 10 and to an extent the Big 12. If you exclude Clemson, the ACC has been very weak the last 7+ years.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
And to answer your direct question, I think we need to loosen the academics (for athletes which I know we have to some extent) and find someway to generate significantly more revenue (for coaches, recruiting, etc.) to be able to get back to the level described above. It would also help if the ACC became a better football conference. We are clearly well behind the SEC, Big 10 and to an extent the Big 12. If you exclude Clemson, the ACC has been very weak the last 7+ years.
And, if you exclude the best team in each conference, no one looks very daunting.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
Appears this was ranked based on the 1930s to current. It would be interesting to see how we would fare if you started in 1970 going forward (last 50 years). Clearly the Dodd years were the most consistent success during the last 90 years. If you eliminate that, I think we would be more in the middle of the pack. I think getting out of the SEC, not growing our revenue as many of the other schools have and academics being a lesser deal now as the best players are more concerned about getting to the NFL than getting a good degree has really hurt our ability to be a top tier program. Yes there have been exceptions but we have not been consistent regardless of the coach.
At the bottom you can select by decade

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I looked at it by decade as @BuzzBy suggested. Not exact numbers, but in the top 10 in the 40s and 50s. In the top 25 in the 90s. I think every other decade was in the upper 30s, lower 40s. (except 2020s, in which GT hasn't yet been ranked.)