Anyone who forgot we don't have the horses ...

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
got a reminder tonight. A lot of specific things I like about individual players and their improvement or potential but we still don't have a reliable scorer(s) and it was obvious PSU was longer and more athletic than we are.

The upside is that Okogie and Moore continue to learn. Let's see how they internalize tonight's lesson.

And yes tonight's officiating was inconsistent and just downright bad. But that was a sideshow.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
CJP has his work cut out for him. Got to get some recruits in here. Felt we should have cut loose CBG a long time ago so we could already be thru the rebuilding process, but it is what it is. Feel CJP is off to a good start and will right the ship.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
ESPN's one comment about GT when they showed the "highlights" of the PSU loss was that "Atlanta is a great place to recruit some dudes". Pastner needs to recruit some dudes. :D

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree with this, but am actually encouraged by what I saw. We lack talent and depth, but these guys have some fight in them and Pastner's style of play is so much fun to watch. As a former player I tell you it is fun to play as well. We aren't likely to win many ACC games, but the lower half of the conference better not go to sleep on this group.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I liked that we never let PSU secure the game until the very end. With this team, we need to be able to keep things close and try to win it at the end, and we did half of that tonight. I imagine there will be very few games, if any, against major competition where we win while having a comfortable lead. For a first game on the road against power 5 team, I thought we did a lot of what we needed to.

What I didn't like was the "lazy" mistakes. The mistakes like losing track of a cutter on an inbound or throwing lazy passes that get tipped away and lead to easy points for the other team. Right now I think at least some of those are due to guys concentrating so much on the ball movement that they don't take into account where opposing defenders are at times, and the hope is that as they get more comfortable those mistakes will happen less often. Regardless of why, we don't have the margin for error to make those type of mistakes and still win.

But we also have several guys playing way more minutes than their talent level would normally dictate. That is something that can't really be fixed this year unfortunately.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
But we also have several guys playing way more minutes than their talent level would normally dictate. That is something that can't really be fixed this year unfortunately.

QFT

The over/under on ACC wins should be set at 1.5

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
got a reminder tonight. A lot of specific things I like about individual players and their improvement or potential but we still don't have a reliable scorer(s) and it was obvious PSU was longer and more athletic than we are.

The upside is that Okogie and Moore continue to learn. Let's see how they internalize tonight's lesson.

And yes tonight's officiating was inconsistent and just downright bad. But that was a sideshow.

If we had an MGH or Adam Smith on this year's team, we would have won by double digits last night.

We had no one that we could go to and get a bucket on the perimeter.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If we had an MGH or Adam Smith on this year's team, we would have won by double digits last night.

We had no one that we could go to and get a bucket on the perimeter.

That plus the fact that we. have. no. shooting. at. all. None. (Man I wish Moore could knock down an open shot confidently. I'm sure it'll come.)

I agree with @orientalnc regarding these kids' fight. We won't see this team give in.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
What I didn't like was the "lazy" mistakes. The mistakes like losing track of a cutter on an inbound or throwing lazy passes that get tipped away and lead to easy points for the other team. Right now I think at least some of those are due to guys concentrating so much on the ball movement that they don't take into account where opposing defenders are at times, and the hope is that as they get more comfortable those mistakes will happen less often. Regardless of why, we don't have the margin for error to make those type of mistakes and still win.

Part of that was this was that PSU was more athletic than any team they have played so far. So passes that were fine against Tulane were not fine now. And as you said they were really focused on ball movement which is great, but you can't be lazy about it on either end of the pass.

Same with Lammers who saw legit athleticism for the first time. He worked really hard and I like a lot of the things he did. But he was hard pressed to be a number one scorer.

The stat that we had something like 16 offensive turnovers and 5 seccond chance points goes to the athleticism and toughness they had around the ball.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Moore is a jumpshot away from being a legit ACC competitor.
I'm good with platooning Heath and Moore. Heath is more steady and a better shooter, but Moore has more upside and needs to learn.

Only time and good recruiting is going to fix some of the issues. of course if you consider that after next year our returning group is JO, Moore, AD, Ogbonda, Matthews and Alvarado - there is alot of time to sell to the 2018 class - especially on the frontline and at SG.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Moore is a jumpshot away from being a legit ACC competitor.
I'm good with platooning Heath and Moore. Heath is more steady and a better shooter, but Moore has more upside and needs to learn.

Only time and good recruiting is going to fix some of the issues. of course if you consider that after next year our returning group is JO, Moore, AD, Ogbonda, Matthews and Alvarado - there is alot of time to sell to the 2018 class - especially on the frontline and at SG.
I agree with you, but we need some 2017 help as well.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good luck on 2017. I remain hopeful ( a personality flaw I think ) but I don't expect any Burger Boy level talent that could make a difference to come walking in the door for 2017. For freshman maybe a developmental type with a high ceiling but work to do.

Since we are still paying him maybe we can get Gregory to consult on some grad transfer types to fill the gap? My sense is that is where we are heading.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm thinking 1-2 grad transfers this spring. At least this year they may have the time to actually get a couple of solid ones rather than guys that are basically filling out a roster.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
my first thought while watching the game last nite was "are they using big officials?"

i thought they got the benefit of far more fouls than we did. the big has more of a rep of being let them bang league than the acc imo.

it was as poorly officiated game from my standpoint,.