Anyone watching NFL draft coverage

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this argument is valid, after the 2014 season, we had 3 guys drafted, one of them was a 2 star DL that CPJ moved to OL, one was a 3 star freakish WR that could run, and the other didn’t even sign his LOI with football in mind. I think it’s more about our lack of participants in this years class.
It is a little concerning that we haven’t had an offensive or defensive player drafted in the past two years. That has to be awful for recruiting.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It is a little concerning that we haven’t had an offensive or defensive player drafted in the past two years. That has to be awful for recruiting.
Agree, next year I believe we will have a couple on D though. Hopefully that will help and be something that is a continual thing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Some things here:

First, the "experts" who draft athletes for the pros are often doofi who have no clear idea of what they are doing. Example = several pro teams want to see Lamar (!) Jackson (!!) try out at WR (!!!). Why? Well, the easiest answer is that unless a QB is tall, strong, and has a terrific arm (being white helps too) there are pro scouts who don't think they are good prospects. A lot of these people didn't want to draft Russell Wilson or Drew Brees for these "reasons". In short, the Moneyball scouting revolution hasn't hit the pros yet.

Second, a trip offense has problems attracting interest in its players. You'd think that Shaq Mason and the WRs would have changed some minds on that, but apparently not.

Third, and this, imho, is the biggest barrier, many of the best players Tech has had recently have not been playing in positions where the pros would like them. Example: Simmons. He was a rush end and not even a starter. In the pros, if he makes it, he'll probably be at OLB. (I thought he should have been there from the first, but there it is.) Soooooo … you have a team that didn't have a winning record with several prospects that you will have to switch into new positions. This automatically means that taking them in the draft is probably not worth the risk, especially since none of them went to the big tryout.

Fourth, the senior class was small for the second straight year and all the tryouts were at Tech's pro day. That limits the comparative data available to the scouts.

But look on the bright side. If Mills had stayed, we'd all be on tether hooks about him leaving early. And some of the guys in as free agents will stick. Count on that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, this whole pity party about not having NFL draft picks is embarrassing. For me, it makes it all the much sweeter when we beat the teams loaded with NFL draft picks. How many did Miami have? It took them a Miracle circus catch on the final drive to beat a much depleted GT. With Jordan and Mills we beat those bums handily. So basically, it's bad luck due to injury and poor off the field choices that scuttled our season more than poor recruiting. Of course we don't have the depth to replace major components to our offense when we have unexpected attrition, but when have we ever?

I, for one, am expecting big things this year and I highly doubt this team is loaded with future NFL standouts.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, I think not having any draft picks is the embarrassing part. I think this is a pretty big indictment on the talent level we have been bringing in the last few years. Yeah, we've been a little unlucky too...but if NFL evaluators are looking at ALL of our guys and saying, "Eh...we will pass," and then drafting guys out of W. Georgia and other small schools...then we are in worse shape then I thought we were. Do I think Jeune and Shamire (and maybe a few others) will stick with NFL teams? Yes. But, the fact that no team took a chance on them in 7 rounds is concerning. If our best talent is not among the best 350 or so in the nation...then we need to step up. JMO.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think not having any draft picks is the embarrassing part. I think this is a pretty big indictment on the talent level we have been bringing in the last few years. Yeah, we've been a little unlucky too...but if NFL evaluators are looking at ALL of our guys and saying, "Eh...we will pass," and then drafting guys out of W. Georgia and other small schools...then we are in worse shape then I thought we were. Do I think Jeune and Shamire (and maybe a few others) will stick with NFL teams? Yes. But, the fact that no team took a chance on them in 7 rounds is concerning. If our best talent is not among the best 350 or so in the nation...then we need to step up. JMO.
It’s a hell of a lot more embarrassing for the factories when we beat their asses. Just ask the mutt fans in Athens two and four years ago.

By the way, were you embarrassed to have Justin Thomas as your quarterback? He went undrafted you know.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing for me...being a good/great college football player doesn't always equate to being a high NFL prospect. There have been a TON of guys that we've had during the PJ era that fans would kill to have back (Roddy, Orwin, Godhigh, Justin T., Uzzi, Nesbitt, etc.) that barely got a sniff in the NFL, at the most. I also look at a program like UNC that's put a bunch of guys in the NFL and yet haven't done a whole lot, as a team, over the last 10 years. Even if you have guys drafted, especially in the later rounds, there's no guarantee they will make the team. I sometimes think being a UDFA is better than getting drafted in the very late rounds, because you have a little more control over where you go. Ultimately, it's PJ's job to win games at GT, and he needs to get that going again, but having a good college team doesn't always mean you have a ton of future NFL players.

I'm also fairly certain that we have multiple guys on the current team that will be playing in the NFL.

Just my 2 cents...

So first let's not rate CPJ and current Tech as a comparison. CPJ has actually had more drafted than Chan Gailey did. That being said, we have had plenty of guys play in the NFL and arguably the best wide receiver to ever play came from Tech, Calvin. Shaq Mason started his rookie season and Keith Brooking played for years. As comparison name me all the great NFL players from Georgia, that went in the NFL in the last 20 years. Matt Stafford, Greene maybe. The NFL is a factory where you play about 3 years.