Anyone remember Vad Lee ?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
At times like these with our QB issues, I have thought back to VL and his time on the Flats. IMO, he could have been a difference maker. The attempts by CPJ to put in some trick plays ( Pistol ) to use his talents were half-hearted at best. The man could pass, but he was not a true option QB, like many now who run more of a spread option. His time here was wasted and was a missed opportunity, IMO, and demonstrates an unwillingness to adapt by CPJ.
A friend of mine used to describe talented pro style QBs that would come to Penn State to play for " 3 yards and a cloud of dust " Joe Paterno. They would often get " the Joe message" , after an interception, which made them second guess future pass attempts and create hesitation on the part of the QB. The QB can tell if the coach fully supports them , or looks for an excuse to tell them " I told you so ".
Any thoughts as it relates to Tech ?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
At times like these with our QB issues, I have thought back to VL and his time on the Flats. IMO, he could have been a difference maker. The attempts by CPJ to put in some trick plays ( Pistol ) to use his talents were half-hearted at best. The man could pass, but he was not a true option QB, like many now who run more of a spread option. His time here was wasted and was a missed opportunity, IMO, and demonstrates an unwillingness to adapt by CPJ.
A friend of mine used to describe talented pro style QBs that would come to Penn State to play for " 3 yards and a cloud of dust " Joe Paterno. They would often get " the Joe message" , after an interception, which made them second guess future pass attempts and create hesitation on the part of the QB. The QB can tell if the coach fully supports them , or looks for an excuse to tell them " I told you so ".

I think CPJ has too much confidence in marshall and not enough in Oliver. We aren't sparking right now. Sometimes to HAVE to make a change to spark a locker room. Same way a trade does in baseball

boger2337

Helluva Engineer

My real question is how many of those 1 play games we lost last year, would we of won if marshall was at AB?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ has too much confidence in marshall and not enough in Oliver. We aren't sparking right now. Sometimes to HAVE to make a change to spark a locker room. Same way a trade does in baseball
Yes , but will CPJ have the patience to allow TO to learn on the job, while using ALL his talents ? Or will he get " the Paul message " and approach the QB position as always feeling like passing is not FULLY supported in this offense ?
LJ was a playmaker in HS . He ran all over the field and could also pass extremely well. Can you imagine CPJ letting him play like that ? Or anything even close to it ?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Flip this whole scenario to imagine Josh Nesbitt going to play for Mike Leach. Would you fault Mike Leach for not going to a power QB running game?

VL knew what offense he was coming to play in. I don't fault the kid for anything. He was a kid. He had ability and could have excelled at the option AND run-n-shoot portions of our offense. He ultimately decided he didn't want to.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Many coaches fit their offense to the QB's talents. Look at Wake over the years. I'm not saying that should have happened with VL but it does happen. I am personally ready for a more balanced offense. I only made it to half time Sat because its just too hard to watch for me now.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Many coaches fit their offense to the QB's talents. Look at Wake over the years. I'm not saying that should have happened with VL but it does happen. I am personally ready for a more balanced offense. I only made it to half time Sat because its just too hard to watch for me now.

Agreed. If a one sided offense worked Mike Leach or Paul Johnson would have a championship by now. It's a offensive system for a school that has less of a chance to recruit guys who can compete, it's not a gimmick, but a oddity to try and create an advantage because they are drastically behind in recruiting.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Flip this whole scenario to imagine Josh Nesbitt going to play for Mike Leach. Would you fault Mike Leach for not going to a power QB running game?

VL knew what offense he was coming to play in. I don't fault the kid for anything. He was a kid. He had ability and could have excelled at the option AND run-n-shoot portions of our offense. He ultimately decided he didn't want to.
And left an impression on other similarly talented QBs that might come to Tech. Still waiting for a multi talented QB ( running /passing) to get a starting job and hold it under CPJ. I am not holding my breath.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
And left an impression on other similarly talented QBs that might come to Tech. Still waiting for a multi talented QB ( running /passing) to get a starting job and hold it under CPJ. I am not holding my breath.
This guys says hello...
Thomas_action1-645x356.jpg

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Imagine trying to develop a REAL passing game when most of what you recruit are " get low, drive blocking " OLs. CPJ and staff DO NOT fully support a passing game. No wonder it's not successful.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Vad Lee was an FCS QB who was scared of contact. Let’s not romanticize an FCS QB who was scared of contact.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
If anyone gleaned from my post was that I yearned for the days of Vad Lee, I must have not made myself clear. I yearned , and still yearn , for a QB LIKE VL to get the chance to fully utilize all their abilities. Has not happened in 10 years. Even with JG , LJ and even TO on the roster, I have my doubts that as the starting QB they will be fully supported to take chances with their passing efforts. Has not happened to date with the current coach, IMO