Anyone live in DC?

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
i just left DC after being there a week. I would never be able to live there. Cool place to visit, but I personally couldn't live there. Traffic will be at best as bad as Atlanta. More sirens than I have ever heard in my life. Great public transport though. And from my limited exposure less homeless and beggars.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I live outside DC in VA. There is a good Tech contingent up here.

Maryland is nice, too - Montgomery County anyway.

Is it you only or are you bringing up a clan? what age group are you in? If young/single - DC or Bethesda, MD are good choices. If you have kidlets - you might want to be a little further out - Burke/Fairfax or off Old Georgetown Rd in Potomac, MD. Lots of good choices up here. But traffic here makes ATL look like rural Montana. Either work remotely (remote work is big up here) or work staggered hours (I go in around 4:30 AM) or live close to Metro. You will go insane driving to/fr DC during rush hour - I don't know how people do it. If $$$ is not an issue, you can take the $$$/mile lanes but it ain't cheap.

I assume this is semi-permanent. If just a short gig, and you are in your 20s, grab an apt in Adams Morgan.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I also live in the Virginia suburbs. As 00Burdell says, if you're thinking MD, stick to MOCO.

In addition to DC/Bethesda, Arlington Va is a great place for a young single.

Finally, I'd say avoid Adams Morgan, if you want to succeed in your new job. Too many distractions otherwise :)

Burdell, where in the area are you?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Well, with the new silver line extending all the way out to Reston (and eventually beyond) there are DEFINITELY places you can afford.

Where will you be working? In the district itself?

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
My girlfriend (also a tech alum) lives up there. She says to join the GTDC-Georgia Tech Alumni Facebook group for info and various networking opportunities. DC is a nice place to live, and Alexandria is my favorite. She lives in Alexandria currently, but she also lived in Cleveland Park by the zoo! Best of luck on the move, and maybe we'll get to meet up with you to watch a game!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
My girlfriend (also a tech alum) lives up there. She says to join the GTDC-Georgia Tech Alumni Facebook group for info and various networking opportunities. DC is a nice place to live, and Alexandria is my favorite. She lives in Alexandria currently, but she also lived in Cleveland Park by the zoo! Best of luck on the move, and maybe we'll get to meet up with you to watch a game!
Thanks for the info. Glad to know we wont be the only Tech fans around.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
We need to set up Fairfax County game watching for those of us who don't feel like schlepping all the way to DC. Gotta be a good place we can all get to that doesn't involve I-66, 395 or 495.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Me the wife and the dog are coming up.

Trick is finding something close to the metro that we can afford.

2Cents: if you're not looking to have kids soon and are in 20's early 30s, get an overpriced apt inside the beltway on VA side. Old Town Alexandria is great without hassle of city. If you're looking to put down roots and like the city, MD is more affordable with more access to city. If you don't care about the city beyond work, Reston etc west is a pretty good look.