Anyone have a pellet grill?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Costco is having their annual deal with Traegar grills. I love smoking/grilling/etc. and have an XL ceramic grill plus a weber kettle on the back porch. The Weber is on its last legs and I have been thinking of replacing it. The small traegar (or equivalent model from another mfr.) looks like a possibilty for my smaller cooking jobs. I like the idea of getting a steady temp control like you can get on the kamado joe and in a quicker (possibly easier) fashion, Before I drop the $ vs. replacing the Weber I am interested in any opinions from users on this board. Thanks in advance for any insight.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
The Masterbuilt Gravity Series charcoal grill will likely be the next grill I buy.

It has the attractive temperature control features of the Traeger, but uses charcoal briquettes (or lump charcoal if you prefer).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Any adavantages to charcoal vs. pellets? Is it cost or are there other factors?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Costco is having their annual deal with Traegar grills. I love smoking/grilling/etc. and have an XL ceramic grill plus a weber kettle on the back porch. The Weber is on its last legs and I have been thinking of replacing it. The small traegar (or equivalent model from another mfr.) looks like a possibilty for my smaller cooking jobs. I like the idea of getting a steady temp control like you can get on the kamado joe and in a quicker (possibly easier) fashion, Before I drop the $ vs. replacing the Weber I am interested in any opinions from users on this board. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Do you want it mainly as a grill or a smoker?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
In general pellet grills don't impart the best smoke flavor. If you decide to go that direction, I would highly recommend getting a pellet smoker tube to augment your smoke production

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In general pellet grills don't impart the best smoke flavor. If you decide to go that direction, I would highly recommend getting a pellet smoker tube to augment your smoke production
I already own one of those. great for smoking things like cheese where heat is not desired. Also good for putting smoke flavor into meat for chili,stews, etc, and/or smaller jobs where I don't want to deal with the ceramic smoker. One of the best devices for people who like to cook outdoors!

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Then again, I do all my smoking and grilling on a Webber kettle, so what do I know. :)

Yesterday I smoked some bratwurst and then kicked up my temperatures to grill some salmon and some artichokes...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here’s a guy reverse searing steaks on the Masterbuilt.

I’ll be replacing a Weber kettle with this.

Interesting link. I think the smaller version would suffice for us. I can understand how an auger would work with pellets but given the differences in size in lump charcoal, I am curious if the auger would work or is there another method for delivering the charcoal from the bin into the grill? I am hoping that you have researched the product given my natural tendency towards laziness.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Then again, I do all my smoking and grilling on a Webber kettle, so what do I know. :)

Yesterday I smoked some bratwurst and then kicked up my temperatures to grill some salmon and some artichokes...
It's hard to beat a Weber. It's an iconic product like a Coleman lantern or Ambassadeur reels. If I replace mine it will be the first time in maybe 40 years I don't have one on the porch. Great product.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
It's hard to beat a Weber. It's an iconic product like a Coleman lantern or Ambassadeur reels. If I replace mine it will be the first time in maybe 40 years I don't have one on the porch. Great product.
I’ve loved my Weber, too. The Masterbuilt temperature control will improve consistency of results and help avoid some of the disasters of drunkenness, inattentiveness, and/or distractions that could ruin a perfectly good piece of meat.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’ve loved my Weber, too. The Masterbuilt temperature control will improve consistency of results and help avoid some of the disasters of drunkenness, inattentiveness, and/or distractions that could ruin a perfectly good piece of meat.
One of the major benefits imo of the Weber is the whole setup and getting the charcoal up to temp gives plenty of time and reason to consume cocktails. If I can drink while attending to other activities it just feels so much better than sitting alone on the sofa drinking gin and tonics. Plus, it creates a minor distraction so the wife can't keep up with how many times I have "refreshed" my glass. :)

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a Traegar and really love it. Cook pretty much anything. Smoked butts, ribs, wings. Grill steak, chops, chicken. Can bake things like pizza but I haven’t tried that yet.
Low maintenance. Fill it with pellets, get it started, then set the temp and go. Not over flames so no flare ups.
However, it only gets 430-450 degrees, if you’re looking for something to hit super high temps for searing, then you may want to look at other solutions.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
tthx2KB.jpg

Finally, parking for grilling dads.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting link. I think the smaller version would suffice for us. I can understand how an auger would work with pellets but given the differences in size in lump charcoal, I am curious if the auger would work or is there another method for delivering the charcoal from the bin into the grill? I am hoping that you have researched the product given my natural tendency towards laziness.
Which grill did you buy? I also forgot to answer your question. There is no auger on the Masterbuilt. The firebox is outside the grilling area and the fire (and fuel consumption) is controlled by a variable speed fan. The grate handles both lump charcoal and briquettes,

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Which grill did you buy? I also forgot to answer your question. There is no auger on the Masterbuilt. The firebox is outside the grilling area and the fire (and fuel consumption) is controlled by a variable speed fan. The grate handles both lump charcoal and briquettes,

My CEO pushed this project into this years capital plan. She decided instead to pull up the kitchen remodel and several other projects ahead of it on "our" priority list in Q3 and 4. Actually, I have not yet pulled the trigger for a number of reasons...can't make up my mind on what/which brand, want to expand the patio first, etc.

I am one of those who must make life miserable for TStan and his predesessors....I will scrutinize a $800 purchase as if it were a serious matter. But one day I WILL have one.