Anyone drinks scotch with hard-to-pronounce names?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I've been a beer drinker for most of my life but a few years ago I started into bourbon. I found a few that were different but now I'm bored. I'm on to Scotch now. Part of my interest is in trying to learn how to pronounce some of these names.

So with that in mind, do any of you have a taste for any Scotch's in the $40/50+ range? Maybe those with hard to pronounce names....Laphoraig, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, etc?

I started a few months ago at a restaurant with a simple Macallan 12 (Sherry Cask). It got me interested. Since then, I've had some Laphroaig (I don't think so...all that peat is a bit much) and Oban 14. I bought a bottle of Aberlour that even my wife likes. I like it too...easy sipping...but it's missing something. I'm really interested in trying some of that Bunnahabhain 12 and a Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie both supposed to be minimal peat from Islay.

Any of y'all have similar interest?

herb

Helluva Engineer
I've been a beer drinker for most of my life but a few years ago I started into bourbon. I found a few that were different but now I'm bored. I'm on to Scotch now. Part of my interest is in trying to learn how to pronounce some of these names.

So with that in mind, do any of you have a taste for any Scotch's in the $40/50+ range? Maybe those with hard to pronounce names....Laphoraig, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, etc?

I started a few months ago at a restaurant with a simple Macallan 12 (Sherry Cask). It got me interested. Since then, I've had some Laphroaig (I don't think so...all that peat is a bit much) and Oban 14. I bought a bottle of Aberlour that even my wife likes. I like it too...easy sipping...but it's missing something. I'm really interested in trying some of that Bunnahabhain 12 and a Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie both supposed to be minimal peat from Islay.

There are some good Scotch shows on netflix and amazon that go into the history and how its made that are pretty good. one is the story of Bruichladdich. Let us know if you try it, it has been on the list for a while. I mostly stick to the tried and true, so a new perspective would be welcome

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I spent 6 weeks a few years ago backpacking around Scotland. Very cold, wet and hospitable place.Love the country and the whisky and tried a different whisky every night of my trip. I am a bit of a peat lover. Here are some suggestions that I enjoy but not sure where they are price wise. Ardbegh Uigedahl... peaty but not overly so like Laphroig. For a Speyside, if you can find BenRomach 10 year old it is very nice...just a little more of that smoke, peaty taste than the typical Speyside. Of course, all scotch drinkers like the Macallan's in any form...it is the safest, smoothest drink but doesn't venture too far into the smoke/peat flavors that turn off some.

If you want to experiment with the peat flavor but don't want to invest a lot, look at Black Grouse or Black Bottle. Both are blended whiskies and thus are fairly cheap but I find them both to be enjoyable. Good luck, most of the fun is experimenting and finding out what you prefer. If you enjoy Scotch, there really isn't a bad one. If you don't like Scotch, then there really isn't ag ood one. It's definitely a love or hate thing

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

If you're bored with bourbon, then you're not drinking the right stuff. Bourbon >>>>> Scotch. Much wider range of flavor profiles, much greater diversity of tastes, especially for the price range you're talking about. $40-$50 scotches are entry-level, at best, and aren't going to taste great. There is just no way anyone could get bored with bourbon! For something different, branch into ryes.

(la-froy-ug; brook-laddie; boon-a-hah-bin or boon-a- haven depending on where in Scotland you are)

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If you're bored with bourbon, then you're not drinking the right stuff. Bourbon >>>>> Scotch. Much wider range of flavor profiles, much greater diversity of tastes, especially for the price range you're talking about. $40-$50 scotches are entry-level, at best, and aren't going to taste great. There is just no way anyone could get bored with bourbon! For something different, branch into ryes.

(la-froy-ug; brook-laddie; boon-a-hah-bin or boon-a- haven depending on where in Scotland you are)

Got any bourbon suggestions for a reasonable price? I've been getting into dark liquor more, and would like something else to get when the liquor stores don't have Buffalo Trace.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Got any bourbon suggestions for a reasonable price? I've been getting into dark liquor more, and would like something else to get when the liquor stores don't have Buffalo Trace.
Alright, I've looked through what I have in my collection and have some decent recommendations for you. None of these bottles should cost you over $60 after tax, and most should be a fair bit less. Many are in the $20-$30 range. These classifications are not codified, so they're somewhat subjective. These bottles will give you a different taste within each category and should be tasty too.

High Rye Bourbon (generally less sweet and a little more spicy): Four Roses Single Barrel; Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond; Bulleit Bourbon

Standard Rye Bourbon (wide range of flavor profiles from spicy to sweet): Old Forester 1910; Old Forester 1920; Knob Creek Single Barrel; 1792 Full Proof; Russell Reserve Single Barrel; Rare Breed

Low Rye Bourbon (more on the sweeter side): Evan Williams Single Barrel; Col. E. H. Taylor Small Batch; Eagle Rare 10; Henry McKenna 10 BiB; Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Wheated Whiskey (more sweet, less spice than rye based bourbon): Maker's 46; Rebel Yell 10 yr; Larceny; any of the Weller's

In addition, the younger it is the more grain-forward it tends to be. Older bourbons tend to be a little more tanic from time in the barrel. What you have to remember is that all bourbon goes into virgin oak barrrels. Scotch goes into used bourbon barrels, so the bourbon is pulling flavor from the barrel much more quickly because there's more there in beginning. Also, the temperature fluctuations in Scotland are no where near what Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee and all the other producers in the US see in their rickhouses. That means more of the alcohol is moving into and out of the wood, thus picking up more flavor. Most old time master distillers think the sweet spot is between 9 and 12 years in the barrel, depending...

This is just the tip of the iceberg, so there's a god-awful amount left out. Also, there are many great selections in a reasonable price range I haven't included. My favorite everyday sipper is Early Times Bottled-in-Bond. It's about $25/bottle and tastes better than many $80-$100 bottles I've had. I prefer higher proof, but find the versions you like. Price does not connote better bourbon. Don't be fooled by the sticker.

Right now, the best bourbons on this list for me are Old Forester 1910 (chocolate bomb), Old Forester 1920 (115 proof and a very complex bourbon), Russell Reserve Single Barrel. But I have over 150 bottles of bourbon and every night I have a different favorite.

Best bargain bourbons: Very Old Barton's ($15/750), Larceny ($22/750), Elijah Craig ($25/750), Knob Creek 100 ($25-$28/750), Early Times Bottled-in-Bond ($25/1L), and Old Grand Dad ($22/750). Also, Wild Turkey 101 is fantastic about $20/bottle.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Alright, I've looked through what I have in my collection and have some decent recommendations for you. None of these bottles should cost you over $60 after tax, and most should be a fair bit less. Many are in the $20-$30 range. These classifications are not codified, so they're somewhat subjective. These bottles will give you a different taste within each category and should be tasty too.

High Rye Bourbon (generally less sweet and a little more spicy): Four Roses Single Barrel; Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond; Bulleit Bourbon

Standard Rye Bourbon (wide range of flavor profiles from spicy to sweet): Old Forester 1910; Old Forester 1920; Knob Creek Single Barrel; 1792 Full Proof; Russell Reserve Single Barrel; Rare Breed

Low Rye Bourbon (more on the sweeter side): Evan Williams Single Barrel; Col. E. H. Taylor Small Batch; Eagle Rare 10; Henry McKenna 10 BiB; Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Wheated Whiskey (more sweet, less spice than rye based bourbon): Maker's 46; Rebel Yell 10 yr; Larceny; any of the Weller's

In addition, the younger it is the more grain-forward it tends to be. Older bourbons tend to be a little more tanic from time in the barrel. What you have to remember is that all bourbon goes into virgin oak barrrels. Scotch goes into used bourbon barrels, so the bourbon is pulling flavor from the barrel much more quickly because there's more there in beginning. Also, the temperature fluctuations in Scotland are no where near what Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee and all the other producers in the US see in their rickhouses. That means more of the alcohol is moving into and out of the wood, thus picking up more flavor. Most old time master distillers think the sweet spot is between 9 and 12 years in the barrel, depending...

This is just the tip of the iceberg, so there's a god-awful amount left out. Also, there are many great selections in a reasonable price range I haven't included. My favorite everyday sipper is Early Times Bottled-in-Bond. It's about $25/bottle and tastes better than many $80-$100 bottles I've had. I prefer higher proof, but find the versions you like. Price does not connote better bourbon. Don't be fooled by the sticker.

Right now, the best bourbons on this list for me are Old Forester 1910 (chocolate bomb), Old Forester 1920 (115 proof and a very complex bourbon), Russell Reserve Single Barrel. But I have over 150 bottles of bourbon and every night I have a different favorite.

Best bargain bourbons: Very Old Barton's ($15/750), Larceny ($22/750), Elijah Craig ($25/750), Knob Creek 100 ($25-$28/750), Early Times Bottled-in-Bond ($25/1L), and Old Grand Dad ($22/750). Also, Wild Turkey 101 is fantastic about $20/bottle.
I love bourbon and living in KY has allowed me to drink some good ones. .y father in law has a nice bourbon collection so I love going over there lol

herb

Helluva Engineer
Thanks @forensicbuzz . Those are excellent recommendations. The Four Roses is really good. I had a bottle of the Col. E.H. Taylor small batch recently and it was fantastic. I’ll have to try the ones I have missed.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

What I've tried/bought in bourbon and other American whiskeys in the past three years:

Maker's, Basil Hayden, Angel's Envy, Widow Jane, Uncle Nearest, Blade and Bow, Old Forrester 1920 BinB, Bib and Tucker. If I was to stock a cabinet with those I'd buy some Basil, Widow Jane, and Uncle Nearest. The WJ and Uncle Nearest have been my fave's...they were distinctive to me. What do you suggest for when I get bored with scotches?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I've tried/bought in bourbon and other American whiskeys in the past three years:

Maker's, Basil Hayden, Angel's Envy, Widow Jane, Uncle Nearest, Blade and Bow, Old Forrester 1920 BinB, Bib and Tucker. If I was to stock a cabinet with those I'd buy some Basil, Widow Jane, and Uncle Nearest. The WJ and Uncle Nearest have been my fave's...they were distinctive to me. What do you suggest for when I get bored with scotches?
That's pretty diverse. Everyone's palate is different (and your palate will change day-to-day, as well), but if you like Uncle Nearest, then you might be a fan of the Lincoln County Process (reportedly Jack Daniels learned the process of charcoal filtration from Uncle Nearest). So, I'd try Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Widow Jane comes in two varieties, 10 yr (white label) and 12 yr (black label), and although the 10 yr is good, 12 yr is that much better. You're shelling out some bucks for Widow Jane.

If you like Maker's, try Maker's 46. Also, other wheated whiskeys might be appealing to you (Bernheim, Larceny, Weller (any of them, if you can find them)).

I love Old Forester 1920, especially since it's 115 proof. It's well built and will hold up to an ice cube or drop of water if you're so inclined. But if you haven't tried the OF 1910 (took forever to come back out), then you absolutely have to try it. It's a chocolate bomb.

Basil Hayden is the same exact mash bill as Old Grand Dad. Age OGD 114 3 more years and water it down and you have Basil Hayden 9 yr. When they took the age statement off, you were basically getting OGD 114 watered down and paying $10 more than OGD 114. Then they brought the age statement back and charged $20 more. I'm not a fan of such shenanigans. If you want Basil's, try OGD 114 and add some water. You'll be amazed at the similarity of taste.

I don't like finished bourbons, and that's Angel's Envy. There are a lot of good, interesting finished products, but they're not for me, so I don't have a good recommendation. I will say that I love the unfinished Joseph Magnus bourbon (sourced from MGP in Indiana). Most of what they put out is sherry finished. It's pricey, maybe too pricey.

Interesting boubons: Starlight (Indiana distillery), Booker's (nothing held back there), Four Roses Single Barrel (better yet, look for one of the private select store picks near you), Garrison Brothers (Texas and good), Russel Reserve Single Barrel (the best non-allocated product from Wild Turkey, and worth every penny), and for everyday, try either Early Times Bottled-in-Bond or J.W. Dant. They're both delicious every day drinkers.

If you want something really different, try Old Elk. They're out of Colorado and the master distiller is Greg Metze. He's the former master distiller for MGP, and was responsible for most of the great rye and bourbon coming out of MGP the past 12-20 years. This is Metze's experiment where he's doing things the way he thinks would make the best bourbon, not the way to make the most bourbon, economically. I think it's really interesting.

Enjoy

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That's pretty diverse. Everyone's palate is different (and your palate will change day-to-day, as well), but if you like Uncle Nearest, then you might be a fan of the Lincoln County Process (reportedly Jack Daniels learned the process of charcoal filtration from Uncle Nearest). So, I'd try Jack Daniels Single Barrel. Widow Jane comes in two varieties, 10 yr (white label) and 12 yr (black label), and although the 10 yr is good, 12 yr is that much better. You're shelling out some bucks for Widow Jane.

If you like Maker's, try Maker's 46. Also, other wheated whiskeys might be appealing to you (Bernheim, Larceny, Weller (any of them, if you can find them)).

I love Old Forester 1920, especially since it's 115 proof. It's well built and will hold up to an ice cube or drop of water if you're so inclined. But if you haven't tried the OF 1910 (took forever to come back out), then you absolutely have to try it. It's a chocolate bomb.

Basil Hayden is the same exact mash bill as Old Grand Dad. Age OGD 114 3 more years and water it down and you have Basil Hayden 9 yr. When they took the age statement off, you were basically getting OGD 114 watered down and paying $10 more than OGD 114. Then they brought the age statement back and charged $20 more. I'm not a fan of such shenanigans. If you want Basil's, try OGD 114 and add some water. You'll be amazed at the similarity of taste.

I don't like finished bourbons, and that's Angel's Envy. There are a lot of good, interesting finished products, but they're not for me, so I don't have a good recommendation. I will say that I love the unfinished Joseph Magnus bourbon (sourced from MGP in Indiana). Most of what they put out is sherry finished. It's pricey, maybe too pricey.

Interesting boubons: Starlight (Indiana distillery), Booker's (nothing held back there), Four Roses Single Barrel (better yet, look for one of the private select store picks near you), Garrison Brothers (Texas and good), Russel Reserve Single Barrel (the best non-allocated product from Wild Turkey, and worth every penny), and for everyday, try either Early Times Bottled-in-Bond or J.W. Dant. They're both delicious every day drinkers.

If you want something really different, try Old Elk. They're out of Colorado and the master distiller is Greg Metze. He's the former master distiller for MGP, and was responsible for most of the great rye and bourbon coming out of MGP the past 12-20 years. This is Metze's experiment where he's doing things the way he thinks would make the best bourbon, not the way to make the most bourbon, economically. I think it's really interesting.

Enjoy
Oh my. You've got quite a resume in whiskeys!

I'm not a fan of Makers but it was what I first tried. Meh. Then moved on to the BasilH which was the first bourbon I thought was a notch above. Then the Angel's Envy which, like you, don't necessarily care for the finish. Last Christmas I bought myself the Widow Jane 10 and really liked it except for the price. Then throughout this year I tried the Blade and Bow (a XMas present from my daughter), the Old Forrester, the Uncle Nearest, and the Bib and Tucker but as I said earlier I'd go back to the Uncle Nearest in a heartbeat.

I've read some interesting things about the value of the OGG 114. If you were to have to limit yourself to two whiskeys, what would you choose?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Oh my. You've got quite a resume in whiskeys!

I'm not a fan of Makers but it was what I first tried. Meh. Then moved on to the BasilH which was the first bourbon I thought was a notch above. Then the Angel's Envy which, like you, don't necessarily care for the finish. Last Christmas I bought myself the Widow Jane 10 and really liked it except for the price. Then throughout this year I tried the Blade and Bow (a XMas present from my daughter), the Old Forrester, the Uncle Nearest, and the Bib and Tucker but as I said earlier I'd go back to the Uncle Nearest in a heartbeat.

I've read some interesting things about the value of the OGG 114. If you were to have to limit yourself to two whiskeys, what would you choose?
Well, I have 5 kids, would you ask me to limit myself to 2 kids? That would be absolutely crazy.

If I had to pick two entry level bourbons, I'd choose Early Times Botted-in-Bond and Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond. $15-$20

If I had to pick two everyday drinkers, I'd choose Knob Creek and Wild Turkey 101. $22-$28

If I had to pick a decent readily available on the shelf bottle, I'd choose either Knob Creek Single Barrel (120 proof) and Rare Breed ($40-$45)

If I had to pick two mid-priced bourbons, I'd choose Old Forester (1910 or 1920) and Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. $55-$60

If I had my choice of anything, I'd choose Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and Four Roses Limited Edition $120

If I had to pick a flight, I'd chose the Single Barrel Private Selections from Four Roses (as many of the 10 potential combination of the 2 mash bills and 5 yeast strains as I could find). ~$70/bottle

I've highlighted my favorite two from 2019. And there's many with a much better palate and much higher knowledge of bourbon than me. I just really enjoy drinking it, 2 fingers at a time.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Thank you for all of that. I've certainly enjoyed reading it all. I've just copied this to refer back to when I get back on the bourbon train.

Five kids? Congrats to you and your wife. I'm one of six (four sisters) and have a blast around the holidays with all of the attention my 95 year old mother gets from everyone...all the way down to 20-something grand and great grand children.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not an expert in these areas AT ALL (wine is my thing).

But I am curious, my son is into some bourbon which is sold by lottery when it comes out each year...and I cannot recall the name. Any idea what it is? (I recall it was expensive as hades....)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Fall is release season. There are a number of big releases in the fall.

Van Winkle (contract distilled by Sazarac) comes out in October/November/December and has 6 expressions (Rip Van Winkle 10 yr ($70), Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 yr Lot b ($90), Pappy Van Winkle 15 yr ($150), Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr ($250), Pappy Van Winkle 23 yr ($350), and a 13 year old rye ($100). These prices are SRP, and a reputable liquor store (or ABC store not in Pennsylvania) will sell close to this. Others will jack the price up and make some extra coin. Pappy 23 sells for between $3,000-$5,000 a bottle on the secondary market.

Buffalo Trace (Sazarac) releases their Antique Collection (BTAC) around the same time. Sazarac 18 yr rye, Thomas H. Hardy rye, Eagle Rare 17 yr, William Larue Weller, and George T. Stagg. These are generally MSRP around $120/bottle.

Beam Suntory releases the Parker Heritage Edition each fall and that goes for around $150/bottle, depending. Old Forester releases their Birthday Bourbon is recognition of George Garvin Brown's birthday (founder of Brown Forman, owner of Old Forester brand) in September.

The thing is, these bottles are highly allocated, so

Edit: While I was typing this, the GM at my local Binny's called and said she was holding a bottle of Pappy 15 and William Larue Weller for me. I had to stop mid-sentence and go get them.