Anybody listening to Richt Show?

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been pointed out already, but what bugs me about Richt is not his religious faith or that he pontificates at every opportunity. What bugs me is that his actions, and those of his players - especially those of his players - don't back it up. Actions speak louder than words.

If you can't/won't walk the walk, don't talk the talk. Hypocrites don't fly with me, especially one's that portray a holier than thou image in public.
I disagree with this. Richt can't babysit his players 24/7. It's not like he's the one getting arrested.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We're way too sensitive (both ways) to discussions regarding religion today. @Lexjacket, your strong Christian beliefs, which appear to lean towards evangelical, are part of who you are and should be reflected in how you live your life and how you treat others. As a fellow Christian, I have a slightly different approach to "sharing the Word" than you've stated and probably most others. That is, if you truly live your life according to your belief system, people will see that light in your life and seek out your truth. There is no benefit in proselytizing to people, and you probably do more harm than good. If I want to know about your religious beliefs, I'll ask you. That being said, when asked, I have no problem with anyone answering the question regardless of the forum, such as was apparently the case on his show. If you don't like his answer or discussion with the caller, turn the dial.

All this being said, Mark Richt has a tough job (all coaches do). He is surrounded by 18-22 year-old kids, who are from a wide range of socio-economic, cultural and religious backgrounds. He is paid first to win football games and second to teach boys to become men. His vocation should be to shape men from boys first and win football games second. That's Life. We've seen from his track record a mix of success and failure doing this. I don't know the man's heart, but if by living his life as he does, he has a positive impact on the young men around him, I applaud that. However, if he sacrifices his moral beliefs in order to win football games, then he's failed in his most important purpose.

All this being said, I wish UGA all the success they deserve...and that means I hope they are complete and utter failures in everything they do. This especially includes Mark Richt and his football team. THWG

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I went to that site, but I'm not sure where to look once I'm there. I didn't find any reference to Richt. Where is it?
It is buried pretty deep...After opening the site,
- Under the Salaries & Travel Reimbursements green column, click the "click here" link
- At bottom of the memo/letter, click I Agree or whatever it says
- Click the Person link
- Select Units of the University System and GMC
- Enter name in the Name field
- Click search

carmex

Georgia Tech Fan
Reviewing your stats -
Bartoma 75 messages in 11 months 5-6 about coach Reicher shall not speak about his religion in public because your Presbyterian beliefs are firmly held.
Dirty jacket - 11 months 7 messages of which 4 are on this religion - he's phoney thing
Carmex 11 months, 8 messages , 4 on this religion stuff being probably phoney

What do you guys think?

I think there's no reason to bring post-count into it. I'm a fairly regular poster on another board, just been lurking here for a while. Bringing up post-count to discredit someone's point just seems unnecessary.

I agree this thread doesn't even belong in the football section, but once something like this gets rolling it's hard to stop it. There are so many more things in here that bother me that I'd like to comment on, but I'm just going to let them all go.

THWG

It is buried pretty deep...After opening the site,
- Under the Salaries & Travel Reimbursements green column, click the "click here" link
- At bottom of the memo/letter, click I Agree or whatever it says
- Click the Person link
- Select Units of the University System and GMC
- Enter name in the Name field
- Click search
Still not seeing anything. First, I don't get an "I agree" field. Second, when I search on a name (Mark Richt, Paul Johnson, etc), it can't find them

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So I am crazy to insert myself into a religious argument, especially since I did not hear the conversation on the radio. But here is my take. The radio show was supposed to be about football. But perhaps someone calls in (hypothetically) who share's CMR's involvement with Rotary, or Planned Parenthood or the Masons, and they side talk for a while about it. If you have no problem with that then, in my opinion, you should have no problem with a discussion of religious beliefs. But if you have a problem with one you should have a problem with all. The point should have nothing to do with whether you agree with or support the cause or not. It should only be about whether you think a show about football is an appropriate forum to share support for issues that involve personal claims and testimonials of allegiance that have nothing to do with football.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Why do people think state university coaches are paid by tax dollars? He's paid by the 90,000+ people that go to the games and the rednecks that by the merchandise at Walmart. The thought that tax dollars pay a head coach is just asinine.

Why do people think state university coaches are paid by tax dollars? He's paid by the 90,000+ people that go to the games and the rednecks that by the merchandise at Walmart. The thought that tax dollars pay a head coach is just asinine.
That has historically been the case, but don't ever put it past the criminals in Athens or their cronies on the BOR to get tax money to support them. Perhaps you don't know or remember, but tax money went into the building of their basketball coliseum in the 60's because its "primary purpose" was as a livestock exhibition hall. This, because the cesspool people couldn't stand the thought that Tech had a state-of-the-art (at the time) basketball facility which had been built entirely with private funds.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Isn't some of the "salary" from tax dollars but the bulk of it coming from non-public sources such as radio/tv, apparel manufacturers, speaking engagements?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That has historically been the case, but don't ever put it past the criminals in Athens or their cronies on the BOR to get tax money to support them. Perhaps you don't know or remember, but tax money went into the building of their basketball coliseum in the 60's because its "primary purpose" was as a livestock exhibition hall. This, because the cesspool people couldn't stand the thought that Tech had a state-of-the-art (at the time) basketball facility which had been built entirely with private funds.
Georgia football creates revenue that is in the top 10 in the nation very year. They don't need tax dollars to pay $3 million to mark.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/10/01/most_profitable_college_football_programs_georgia/

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach Chan Gailey is a christian and he walks the walk. Many Tech fans did not like CCG for the team he put on the field, but few would deny his christian faith based on his actions. I don't recall him speaking about it in public, on his weekly radio show, but if a caller asked, then no problem. CCG is from Americus, GA, and since I live in this area, I hear about him and his christian faith and I know it is genuine. The new media never reported in glowing terms about CCG in the same manner as CMR gets reported. CMR's faith is used as a recruiting tool. I am not saying CMR does this, but I know the local media portrays CMR as a Saint to help with recruiting. And it works!

Georgia football creates revenue that is in the top 10 in the nation very year. They don't need tax dollars to pay $3 million to mark.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/10/01/most_profitable_college_football_programs_georgia/
And yet people still say that they receive "state money," whatever they mean by that. So either they are ill-informed or somebody is getting away with something they shouldn't be getting away with. In the 50s, when the "dome" was built at Tech, Tech football created among the highest revenues in the country, and the people in the capitol couldn't stand that.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say that I find it far more palatable if a caller asked him about it, rather than him just bringing it up. As a Believer, my opinion is that once someone asks you about your faith, you can pretty much be open with it. But proseletyzing (sp) to others unsolicited is a good way to get a date with Denise in HR.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
And yet people still say that they receive "state money," whatever they mean by that. So either they are ill-informed or somebody is getting away with something they shouldn't be getting away with. In the 50s, when the "dome" was built at Tech, Tech football created among the highest revenues in the country, and the people in the capitol couldn't stand that.
Some AA employees are state employees.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Contributions to the fund that pays Mark Richt are tax deductible. So, yeah, the State is still paying a portion of his salary.