Anybody listening to Richt Show?

Our beliefs are part of who we are, you can't hide them or restrict them to Sunday. Our beliefs will be reflected in our character, the decisions we make. I am really happy we have Derrick More on our sideline and in our locker room. I am happy that Mark Richt tries to point his players in the right direction - Lord knows they need it. :rolleyes:

I dare some liberal, atheist, PC freak to tell those kids they can't do that.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we all have respect for PJ (and others) for being candid, and not worrying about the PC police....at least I do. I am not sure the context of what Richt said as I didn't listen, but I can only imagine he wasn't 'shoving' anything down anyone's throat. Instead he was being true to himself, not worrying about what others thought of him. Agree or disagree, I don't see the issue?

Oh, and calling people who don't share your beliefs "freaks" doesn't seem very Christian of you.

I don't call them freaks because they don't share my beliefs. I call them freaks because they don't want us sharing our beliefs, or expressing our faith. I respect any person who has different beliefs, but I expect them to respect me too. The liberal, atheist, PC freaks don't respect anybody.

Don't you see the difference between some players trying to inspire each other before / during a game, and the head coach preaching in a public forum when he is being paid to represent his school and talk football?

Look, I can't stand Richt, so I can't really be objective on the matter. It would seem like a radio show might not be the best forum for discussing such things, but since I didn't hear the show, I don't know what the context of his remarks was. He's certainly free to state them though, if he so desires.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll try to lend some context:

After listening to CPJ, I was (morbidly) curious to see what CMR might have to say about the upcoming game... By the time I tuned in, there was little talk of the game, and the caller I happened to hear made the point that he is an evangelical minister from Southern GA, and he went on to say how even the opposing fan bases tell him how much they respect CMR as a outspoken Christian...

As I listened to this conversation, and CMR's ongoing affirmation of his evangelical beliefs, I though to myself, "ya know, this guy makes a zillion dollars a year - from tax payers... He's paid to be the football coach... He really ought to keep the focus on football and not on his personal religious views"...

YES - he is entitled to his belief, and I am sure that he obeys the moral teachings of his faith - but he's not paid to proselytize or espouse the religious beliefs... It should be a personal matter, and as a state employee, he should say as much...

I don't doubt his faith or his sincerity, but there's no denying that, by allowing his faith to be a prominent pert of his public persona, he accrues a "benefit of a doubt" with a large portion of his fan base that would otherwise want to string him up after, say, a loss to a bad UF team...

Again, I am grateful that our coach has enough sense to keep things focused on football and the performance of the team, on the field and off...

For anyone who thinks I was suggesting that religious belief should be relegated to only a church service, you are mistaken... Religious belief is one of many things that influence and inform our moral behavior - and this is what matters most to all of us, because it is what determines the character of the society we're a part of...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't you see the difference between some players trying to inspire each other before / during a game, and the head coach preaching in a public forum when he is being paid to represent his school and talk football?
Were you listening to the "Georgia Football Show", or "The Mark Richt Show"? If it's the former you may have a point if CMR violated a contract. If it's the latter, then you're merely attempting to censor speech.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll try to lend some context:

After listening to CPJ, I was (morbidly) curious to see what CMR might have to say about the upcoming game... By the time I tuned in, there was little talk of the game, and the caller I happened to hear made the point that he is an evangelical minister from Southern GA, and he went on to say how even the opposing fan bases tell him how much they respect CMR as a outspoken Christian...

As I listened to this conversation, and CMR's ongoing affirmation of his evangelical beliefs, I though to myself, "ya know, this guy makes a zillion dollars a year - from tax payers... He's paid to be the football coach... He really ought to keep the focus on football and not on his personal religious views"...

YES - he is entitled to his belief, and I am sure that he obeys the moral teachings of his faith - but he's not paid to proselytize or espouse the religious beliefs... It should be a personal matter, and as a state employee, he should say as much...

I don't doubt his faith or his sincerity, but there's no denying that, by allowing his faith to be a prominent pert of his public persona, he accrues a "benefit of a doubt" with a large portion of his fan base that would otherwise want to string him up after, say, a loss to a bad UF team...

Again, I am grateful that our coach has enough sense to keep things focused on football and the performance of the team, on the field and off...

For anyone who thinks I was suggesting that religious belief should be relegated to only a church service, you are mistaken... Religious belief is one of many things that influence and inform our moral behavior - and this is what matters most to all of us, because it is what determines the character of the society we're a part of...
He isn't paid "a zillion dollars" by the people of Georgia.

Were you listening to the "Georgia Football Show", or "The Mark Richt Show"? If it's the former you may have a point if CMR violated a contract. If it's the latter, then you're merely attempting to censor speech.
Like I said, I wasn't listening, so I don't know the context. If it were what was stated above, I think Richt may have gone over the limit of decorum. I don't think he should be censored, but elaborating on his beliefs on a call in show to the extent that it seems he did strikes me as "playing to the crowd" and at the very least implying that he is unique, and that all Christians should pay him that kind of homage. Like I said, I can't stand the man, so even what might be good on his part comes across fake and calculated to me.

carmex

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't care what the name is, he doesn't pay out of his pocket for the show. No one is trying to censor anyone. If he did pay for it, then preach it up, I don't care. I'll just change the channel. But he is on the University's (sic) dime, not his own. Still their prerogative if that's how they want their school represented. I'm just glad that isn't how our coach represents us, which I believe was the point of the OP.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I was listening to a radio show in which CMR was acting in his capacity as Coach of the U(sic)GA and as a State employee... and He's paid a helluva lot of money serve in that position...

I was listening to a radio show in which CMR was acting in his capacity as Coach of the U(sic)GA and as a State employee... and He's paid a helluva lot of money serve in that position...
He supposedly is NOT an employee of the STATE. Things may have changed, especially in the cesspool, but I don't believe that coaches' salaries come out of state taxes. If so, then I want a refund.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't care what the name is, he doesn't pay out of his pocket for the show. No one is trying to censor anyone. If he did pay for it, then preach it up, I don't care. I'll just change the channel. But he is on the University's (sic) dime, not his own. Still their prerogative if that's how they want their school represented. I'm just glad that isn't how our coach represents us, which I believe was the point of the OP.
Actually, he is paid for that show by the show's sponsors. It is however part of his compensation for being head coach. I don't believe any of his compensation is from the State of Georgia.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
If that's the case, I was wrong on that score... That said, he's still representing a public university, and as such a representative, I think he should keep his religious views to himself... (read carefully: I said "as such a representative"...)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If that's the case, I was wrong on that score... That said, he's still representing a public university, and as such a representative, I think he should keep his religious views to himself... (read carefully: I said "as such a representative"...)

Reviewing your stats -
Bartoma 75 messages in 11 months 5-6 about coach Reicher shall not speak about his religion in public because your Presbyterian beliefs are firmly held.
Dirty jacket - 11 months 7 messages of which 4 are on this religion - he's phoney thing
Carmex 11 months, 8 messages , 4 on this religion stuff being probably phoney

General trend of you guys seems to be saying coach r should talk football and not faith and this thread should be about football
1 I hope you guys get passionate about this forum and start posting about football and not just religion. By way at the Clemson game when the team spontaneously gathered around snoddy after coach went over and took a knee to speak to snoddy - that was special. Uga person to left and clemson person to right agreed that is class on display. Look forward to your messages .

2 I think like you guys the more coach r talks the better. Let him talk about religion. He talks in generalities and can recruit like crazy. But The Indians are restless in Athens as the bullsxxx basket is getting full. If we beat their butts this weekend - there will be a huge uproar about poorly coached talent and the crappy bowl uga is going to - but before they go He could move to Florida and give us a bigger window in improved recruiting success in Georgia for a few years. If we upgrade another great recruiting class like 2015 we could move up into national attention. I hope he goes to fla and ruins that program which has to now compete with UFS, university central fla.
I think we will get them good the next 3 years. This is my favorite week.

What do you guys think?

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Iceeater: I started this mess-of-a-thread off innocently enough, just suggesting that I tire of the Rev Richt persona, thinking that he oughta focus on football... Didn't mean to marginalize the importance of religious belief (to the contrary, if religion teaches people to be nice and not steal stuff, the more the better)...

I was/am largely a lurker until just recently - my disproportionate number of posts on this topic was an apparently futile attempt to clarify my original point - that I am a fan of football coaches being football coaches and leaving the ministry to the clergy... Again, CPJ is a good model in this regard, IMHO...

This is my last ever post about anything like this... THWG and everything connected with that vile hellhole...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Iceeater: I started this mess-of-a-thread off innocently enough, just suggesting that I tire of the Rev Richt persona, thinking that he oughta focus on football... Didn't mean to marginalize the importance of religious belief (to the contrary, if religion teaches people to be nice and not steal stuff, the more the better)...

I was/am largely a lurker until just recently - my disproportionate number of posts on this topic was an apparently futile attempt to clarify my original point - that I am a fan of football coaches being football coaches and leaving the ministry to the clergy... Again, CPJ is a good model in this regard, IMHO...

This is my last ever post about anything like this... THWG and everything connected with that vile hellhole...

Sorry I did not make it more clear that threads just spiral.

If you want another reason to get fired up, please read my recent post on hate week and add yours - this week we are alloed to hate. After this week only pity and discust are permitted.
Together we swarm!