Anybody have experience with Crossfit gyms?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I am considering joining a Crossfit gym and wondered if anyone had any experience/advice/etc. that would be helpful in deciding.

Much obliged in advance.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Dont have any experience directly, but have some friends that have. They say its like a cult, either your die hard or feel like a Tech fan at a uga party. I would recommend a book I bought on Amazon, Bigger Leaner Stronger by Michael Matthews. Great book and he doesn't point out Crossfit directly but his workout plan is nothing like it and backs up everything with research. If your wanting to build muscle and cut fat you need to take a look at it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have friends who love the group aspect of a gym and really get into cross fit. If you like a group exercise, try it out!

I don't go to gyms, but do something similar in P90-X & P-90X2 plus running a couple times a week. It has built a lot of upper body strength for me (weight is not an issue). My wife thinks its a gym with all the free weights & yoga stuff in the sun room and chin up bar in the kitchen. I like the ability to work into my morning schedule rather than the discipline of going at a certain time. My wife does a strength trainer twice a week and loves it for motivation.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
My problem is that while I love working out, I suck at maintaining a disciplined workout schedule so I'm thinking the group aspect of cross-fit might help me stick to a regimen. I have equip at home but don't use it. My wife goes to the gym 6x/week and thinks she is in better shape than me. Scoff. But I am clearly losing ground so I have find a way to keep up. We are both running the Spartan Sprint this weekend so I will be setting the record straight as to who is a Spartan and who is a wannabe :)

I checked out the book GTonTop88 recommended and going by the reviews alone it looks like a winner so will check it out.

I think I'm going to give cross-fit a shot; Its not cheap but if that is what it takes for me to stick with a routine then I'll gladly budget for it. I hate paying the gym every month and not going.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My wife has done the trainer thing and is very disciplined about set times for working out. Everyone is different. I have found that I do best squeezing in 30 minutes at home, between work or whenever of just old fashioned floor exercises. But I really like running. I have to do this 3-5 times a week. If there is something specific I need to work on I have a gym membership that provides someone to help if I have questions.