Anybody got any info on Corey Griffin?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Where does he stand on the depth chart? He made a big hit at practice today and wears Jemea's #14. Don't know anything about him.

BkpoNUWIUAAAZ6Z.jpg:large

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Corey is second string...he had a good redshirt season and almost got his shirt pulled after Golden got hurt. He has a good work ethic and Jemea Thomas spoke highly of him...he is second string right now.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
That is actually fairly surprising that he has made it to second string already. So that means the depth chart looks something like this (correct me if I'm wrong):

I. Johnson - RS-SR
J. Golden - RS-JR
D. Smith - RS-JR
C. Griffin - RS-FR
D. Noble - RS-JR (moving to CB?)
J. Marvin - RS-FR
J. Johnson - FR

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
That is actually fairly surprising that he has made it to second string already. So that means the depth chart looks something like this (correct me if I'm wrong):

I. Johnson - RS-SR
J. Golden - RS-JR
D. Smith - RS-JR
C. Griffin - RS-FR
D. Noble - RS-JR (moving to CB?)
J. Marvin - RS-FR
J. Johnson - FR

J. Golden might be moving to CB. I think I prefer him there than at Safety. He's not a great tackler, but I feel like he could be a ball hog type of CB.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like golden at safety myself...think he's better in space than in tight man to man. Forgotten in this thread is Lynn Griffen who I expect will be a thumper.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
I like golden at safety myself...think he's better in space than in tight man to man. Forgotten in this thread is Lynn Griffen who I expect will be a thumper.

I had Lynn at starting CB opposite DJ White. Safety seems to have a few more bodies than CB, and it sounds like some people could be moving from S to CB (Golden, Noble?). Having more depth at CB is especially important when you consider that the nickelback will be in the starting package.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I had Lynn at starting CB opposite DJ White. Safety seems to have a few more bodies than CB, and it sounds like some people could be moving from S to CB (Golden, Noble?). Having more depth at CB is especially important when you consider that the nickelback will be in the starting package.
Both CB and S are important for depth, but just FYI it's not a lock that the nickel will be a CB. I expect our 4-2-5 package to employ the standard 4 DBs plus a "hybrid" type player that has to be able to fill 3 roles at once: corner, safety, and extra linebacker. You want to minimize the sub packages so your main group can handle as many different situations as possible.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Will believe it when I see it. We always say the same things about our secondary and it is always a liability.
As Eric points out, they end up looking bad when other defensive units are unable to 'hold the line' so to speak. We could have had Todd Gurley at BB last year and he would not have done well but I wouldn't go as far as saying we were weak at bBack.

I'll believe it when I see it too. The trick is too believe it before you see it. :)

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
Both CB and S are important for depth, but just FYI it's not a lock that the nickel will be a CB. I expect our 4-2-5 package to employ the standard 4 DBs plus a "hybrid" type player that has to be able to fill 3 roles at once: corner, safety, and extra linebacker. You want to minimize the sub packages so your main group can handle as many different situations as possible.

Guys like Jemea Thomas and Lamarcus Joyner are perfect for that position in my opinion. They should just be called "defensive weapon". The Percy Harvin of defense.