Any reports on current fall baseball practices?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I note that fall baseball practices began back on September 20. But I haven’t seen any reports on how it’s been going since that time.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Fall exhibition baseball games are scheduled for Sunday, October 23 vs Jacksonville State and Sunday, October 30 vs Kennesaw State. Both are on GT’s home field and start at 1:00 pm.

See Event Schedule in the link below:

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The offensive firepower displayed during those three White/Gold World Series games was impressive! Velo and control for the pitchers was really good as well. The new arms looked good and so did the returners. I’m sure the pitchers are looking forward to a couple of games where they do not need to face our hitters. The returners all looked really good, and the freshman class definitely has some ballers. This group will continue to push each other and develop. The future is bright on the flats.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I was looking at the Tech website, and it has 5 transfers for this year listed. Three of them have already been discussed on here (Nathan Smith, Drew Byers, and Terry Busse), but the other two I haven't seen mentioned.

One is Angelo DiSpigna who played at Mercer for 4 years. This dude has a ton of pop and gets on base a lot, but also strikesout a lot too. He does seem like a really good pickup and is a big lefty bat which is something we were missing this year.

The other transfer is a relief pitcher from Pacific University, Jackson Vaughan. He looks like an awesome pickup. His stats from last year are very good.

Also, the transfer from Wofford, John Dempsey, was not listed. I think I saw that he a was going back to Wofford for his last season. I was really excited about getting him but oh well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was looking at the Tech website, and it has 5 transfers for this year listed. Three of them have already been discussed on here (Nathan Smith, Drew Byers, and Terry Busse), but the other two I haven't seen mentioned.

One is Angelo DiSpigna who played at Mercer for 4 years. This dude has a ton of pop and gets on base a lot, but also strikesout a lot too. He does seem like a really good pickup and is a big lefty bat which is something we were missing this year.

The other transfer is a relief pitcher from Pacific University, Jackson Vaughan. He looks like an awesome pickup. His stats from last year are very good.

Also, the transfer from Wofford, John Dempsey, was not listed. I think I saw that he a was going back to Wofford for his last season. I was really excited about getting him but oh well.

This is consistent with the changes Beesball (https://beesball.com/recruiting.html ) is showing at the bottom of the insert below. Big problem remains in how to get to 35 on roster by February (like most top 50 program teams have the same problem).

For the transfers here are their stats: (I'll update the roster with this info and post at some point.)
Terry Busse: Good RHP 3.29 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 27.1 IP.
Drew Byers: RHP, not impressive stats with 2022 13.50 ERA at Samford but only 5.1 IP. And summer 5.74 ERA and 1.88 WHIP.
Angelo DiSpigna: reasonable hitting (.250-.270) but at IF a lot of competition so it'll come down to his glove maybe
Nathan Smith: Catcher! 20 years old. No Tennessee stats, but hit well (.308) in California League.
Jackson Vaughan: Solid RHP reliever. 2022 33.0 IP 3.27 ERA and 1.24 WHIP at Pacific.

1666535615533.png

bigbob

Georgia Tech Fan
Surprised that no one is talking about the two games yesterday. There is going to be some big time competition at a number of positions.

GTBallfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Games were good, new comers looked pretty good but also hard to tell because the second game was the newer players against the new players of the other team. I thought returners held their own well too.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Game one: GT 15 KSU 2
Game two: GT 3 KSU 1

We pitched very well. KSU rolled out arm after arm and our offense didn’t disappoint. The entire starting lineup (position players) in game one was returning players. Romano played second base and DISpina played left field. Jadyn had three hits and Finley homered as DH. Seemed like everyone of the starters contributed on both sides of the ball. Hopefully the team will publish the box scores and a summary article.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Game one: GT 15 KSU 2
Game two: GT 3 KSU 1

We pitched very well. KSU rolled out arm after arm and our offense didn’t disappoint. The entire starting lineup (position players) in game one was returning players. Romano played second base and DISpina played left field. Jadyn had three hits and Finley homered as DH. Seemed like everyone of the starters contributed on both sides of the ball. Hopefully the team will publish the box scores and a summary article.
Love it. You are "da man"!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really appreciate all the new information and the updates, everyone! It looks like we will have a very good team, with the pitching much improved, hopefully.

I look forward to the new 2023 season.

We'll be ranked in mid 40's and middle of Coastal probably. Due to last year pitching and defense. We'll see. But of Football, MBB and baseball, baseball will continue to be the highest ranked. Volleyball and golf will do better than baseball (how's that for going out on a limb?)

Didn't see this linked and found it looking for KSU details. There are two links in this to the box scores. Both 7 innings.
https://ramblinwreck.com/jackets-prevail-against-jsu-in-first-exhibition/

Tied first 5-5 - with 4 unearned runs given up. Two errors - Jadyn (ss) and Rubenstein (c). So it wasn't Fr.
Won second 5-2. - no unearned runs but one error on Diamant (ss).

If our D doesn't get better, any pitching improvement will be limited. (Yeah, I say this too much over the last few years. And it's almost time to pull the pitcher.)

Pitching first game. Lots of SO by Finley, McGuire and Schmolke. Smith had 0 ER but gave up 2 BB and a hit in an IP (3.0 WHIP)
1667133623640.png

Pitching second game. Busse! Others only an IP, Hill gave up 2 ER but no hits and no BB. So unless WPs, box score looks wrong.
1667133555576.png

I expect that D1 Aaron Fitt will have something on the KSU game since he tweeted about it I think.