Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Thanks...
Unfortunately I agree that our voluntary termination is defined by provision stating year end is Dec 31. I agree that this is really interesting that someone gave enough thought to reduce his buyout for resignation on Dec 1 and no one in turn thought to make it consistent for both parties... ugh.
Surely there is a logical appeal to be made and there certainly wouldn’t be anything prohibiting us from pursuing the new coach... it’ll just make it odd naming him publicly in December!
Other weird things... contract date is in July 16, 2020, with an effective date of Dec 8, 2018 (this should’ve alerted someone to year end timing, huh?) and yet para 2.4 makes reference to “the extraordinary financial event” that took place in 2021. There is some weird amending going on in this document...

I would assume the we would notify him after the UGa game that his services are no longer needed and he will be terminated on January 1. That way, he's notified that he will be fired, but not officially fired until January 1st?

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m guessing if Collins doesn’t right then ship and does get fired - he agrees to the buyout but moves the date up to 12/1.

I doubt he would leave anything else on the table - and I don’t blame him.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Somebody needs to talk to Kathleen Wasch about getting out of this contract. While they are at it, also ask her why in the world she signed off on it as legal counsel, knowing there was screwy language in it.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Honestly,
I do think Todd and Collins had a talk already maybe after the last game
GTAA is in a real tough spot right now due to the crappy Collins contract.
We fire him now , huge buyout with likely a risk to losing players and losing the rest of the season
We keep him till the end of the season and we risk more damage to the program but at a lower cost to fire him.

I feel like Todd is really gambling at the moment, probably knowing he got himself into a real bad spot. But who knows maybe they told Collins , win this week and he's good for a bit if not he's gone

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly,
I do think Todd and Collins had a talk already maybe after the last game
GTAA is in a real tough spot right now due to the crappy Collins contract.
We fire him now , huge buyout with likely a risk to losing players and losing the rest of the season
We keep him till the end of the season and we risk more damage to the program but at a lower cost to fire him.

I feel like Todd is really gambling at the moment, probably knowing he got himself into a real bad spot. But who knows maybe they told Collins , win this week and he's good for a bit if not he's gone
I don't think firing him before the end of the season does anything. You're paying him either way and you're not going to hire a coach in the middle of the year. But you plan to fire him after the season unless he somehow pulls out like 8 more wins.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think firing him before the end of the season does anything. You're paying him either way and you're not going to hire a coach in the middle of the year. But you plan to fire him after the season unless he somehow pulls out like 8 more wins.
So you are in favor of firing him on Jan 1st?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My opinion is that this will never go to Jan 1st.
Assuming this year contains alot more losing, then I expect he will be gone shortly after the UGA game.
You simply offer him some money above what he would be payed in December - $275K to leave a month early.
So offer him $500-600K to agree to leave with the $7.2MM. Much easier pill to swallow financially and you get to start on rebuilding when most other programs will be doing the same.

The one thing that is unlikely to change whether you keep him or fire him is the outcome for this season.
Interims generally don't improve much on what was already there. GO'L when 0-3 after BL was canned. L'ville's interim went 0-2 after Petrino was canned.

IMO if GT is going to make a move before the end of the season it will be before the Duke game. It would give fans something positive to talk about going into that game. You could potentially do it after that game and the interim would have 10 days before the next game. But if it doesn't happen by Duke my feeling is it will just go to the end of the season.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
IMO if GT is going to make a move before the end of the season it will be before the Duke game. It would give fans something positive to talk about going into that game. You could potentially do it after that game and the interim would have 10 days before the next game. But if it doesn't happen by Duke my feeling is it will just go to the end of the season.
I agree. If we let him go before or just after the Duke game, then we can begin the search as discussed earlier, using a search firm to gauge interest without talking directly to any employed candidates.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Assuming this year contains alot more losing, then I expect he will be gone shortly after the UGA game.
You simply offer him some money above what he would be payed in December - $275K to leave a month early.
So offer him $500-600K to agree to leave with the $7.2MM. Much easier pill to swallow financially and you get to start on rebuilding when most other programs will be doing the same.

The one thing that is unlikely to change whether you keep him or fire him is the outcome for this season.
Interims generally don't improve much on what was already there. GO'L when 0-3 after BL was canned. L'ville's interim went 0-2 after Petrino was canned.

Tech looked way better in those 3 games with GOL then it did earlier in the year with BL

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer

I think the only hold up with his immediate dismissal is a commitment on the required funds or an agreeable structuring of the amount and timing of the severance compensation. I would bet that Goeff is not on the plane to Pitt. Just a hunch - not based on inside info (which I do not have). His toxicity is increasing by the hour.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There was probably a conversation similar to this, but I'm not sure it's "win or else," but more like "if the team looks as bad in Orlando as it did against Ole Miss then you're gone"

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I agree about the negotiated buyout. I do think it happens sooner though. If we get blasted by UCF and Pitt then I don't see how they let him coach the homecoming game with that mush hostility in the air.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Generally agree with Red here. Would note that Homecoming could get ugly if he’s still the HC. This is from the SAE house at the spring game. Would only be worse I imagine.

1663865926349.jpeg

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What incentive is there for CGC to accept such an "offer". Looking at the totals, he will be owed this years salary plus $10.5 million if he if fired before Jan 1. The offer you propose is $7.2 million plus $600k for a total of $7.8 million. Yes, that would be easier on GT, but what would be in it for CGC? If he just waits until Jan 1, he will gain $2.7 million additional dollars.