Any news?? (stage 3: press coverage)

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
If GT wins at least 1 of the next three then no decision will be made until the end of the season - I have no doubt of that at all.
At even 2-4 you can still claim you can get to 6 wins (not likely, but you can make the claim). If GT goes 1-5 or 1-6 then I think all bets are off and the odds of making a move increase alot.

At the midpoint of the season most of our home games are already done so you don't really lose much revenue just waiting at that point. Certainly not enough to justify eating $3.3MM.
I remember well the Hewitt buyout fiasco. That severely limited us in who we could go after for the MBB position. Not only that, DRad actually lengthened the buyout to 10 years (from 7) so it would not cripple us in our day to day operations and also meant that we were still dealing with it when we hired Pastner.

Also, there is nothing that keeps GT from doing things in the background. That happens all the time.

Having watched this show before I am not willing to watch us handcuff ourselves any more than we have to by paying a larger buyout than we absolutely have to.
The problem seems to be that the buyout goes down January 1, not the end of the season. There’s no way we’re waiting to fire him until January 1 that would be suicide considering we would miss out on the coaching carousel by then. The buyout is the same whether we fire him today or on November 28. There’s no benefit to waiting

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
We're certainly not better coached.
And if this thing keeps going south, how many players and coaches will just mail it in by then?
Duke's players may start believing they can win. There's been nothing in the last three plus years for our players to believe that what is being done Sunday through Friday can lead to winning.

UCF's quarterback just had a game where he threw for 300 and ran for 100 and was named AAC offensive player of the week.
He may duplicate that this Saturday against our inept staff.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The problem seems to be that the buyout goes down January 1, not the end of the season. There’s no way we’re waiting to fire him until January 1 that would be suicide considering we would miss out on the coaching carousel by then. The buyout is the same whether we fire him today or on November 28. There’s no benefit to waiting
This is going to sound insane. Why don't we hire another coach to take over as assistant head with operational responsibilities and the stipulation that his contract will be re-negotiated at the end of the season? That way we can keep Collins until January 1, hire somebody new (or not) when his contract expires, and avoid legal consequences.

Now you know why we should go ahead and fire him NOW.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Elko was a great DC and their OC has a pretty elite pedigree having been OC under Kevin Wilson, Kliff Kingsbury, and Mike Norvell. He hasn't really had a chance to do his own thing because all those guys run their own offenses, but on paper that guy should be a great one if he learned anything from his previous HCs. That coaching staff looks about as good as any young staff in the country, it will be interesting to see how they end up looking as a team.

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Collins needs to be fired before the next home game. There's always a sense of relief and optimism when a lame duck is finally shown the door. I've been through this a time or 2 being a vol fan. I think its a gesture to show the fans that the AA is willing to do what's necessary to put a better product on the field. The whole coaching staff will gone so it doesn't matter who the interim is. I've always liked Chaney so make him the man. AD Todd also has to go and won't be making the next hire. Fire them both, then start looking for a new AD to hire his new football coach.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is going to sound insane. Why don't we hire another coach to take over as assistant head with operational responsibilities and the stipulation that his contract will be re-negotiated at the end of the season? That way we can keep Collins until January 1, hire somebody new (or not) when his contract expires, and avoid legal consequences.

I'm for firing him now, but if we wanted to wait until the end of the season and save some buyout money, I can't understand why we couldn't announce his firing on November 28 to take effect January 1 and hire a new coach whose tenure would begin on that day. We wouldn't actually have to wait until January 1 to do that, would we?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins needs to be fired before the next home game. There's always a sense of relief and optimism when a lame duck is finally shown the door. I've been through this a time or 2 being a vol fan. I think its a gesture to show the fans that the AA is willing to do what's necessary to put a better product on the field. The whole coaching staff will gone so it doesn't matter who the interim is. I've always liked Chaney so make him the man. AD Todd also has to go and won't be making the next hire. Fire them both, then start looking for a new AD to hire his new football coach.
Any plan that can keep us from having to wait until next year for a coaching search would be a good plan.

90sJacketsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Any plan that can keep us from having to wait until next year for a coaching search would be a good plan.
I think you have to. The early signing period has taken over the traditional signing day, so a new coach needs to be at least named before December. Might not sign a lot of recruits in Dec, but maybe the new coach gets in the ears of a few prospects to wait til February to recruit a bit longer.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I don’t see this happening now, but I do feel like something of this nature will have to happen if we’re really trying to hold out for Jan 1. I think we sign a contract with a new guy well before Jan 1, and there will be a paragraph stating that he is an assistant, or “co” until January 1.... if it comes to that.
Hopefully there’s a means to sit everyone down and say “look, we can get cute with contracts through Jan 1, but let’s all get real here and save Collins from hanging around for the UGA post game and save us from gyrations on the new guy’s paperwork.” To the rest of the world, it will look like the new coach is installed in a clean and timely manner no matter what happens behind the scenes.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think you have to. The early signing period has taken over the traditional signing day, so a new coach needs to be at least named before December. Might not sign a lot of recruits in Dec, but maybe the new coach gets in the ears of a few prospects to wait til February to recruit a bit longer.
have a feeling first year coaches will be far more interested in the portal than hs players now

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Negotiate the buyout of the contract at end of the season and announce that "coach" is resigning as of January 1 and "new coach" will assume duties as head coach on that date. He would technically still be coach until Jan 1 , and part of the contract buyout includes an agreement not to sue.

JacketFan137

Banned
Negotiate the buyout of the contract at end of the season and announce that "coach" is resigning as of January 1 and "new coach" will assume duties as head coach on that date. He would technically still be coach until Jan 1 , and part of the contract buyout includes an agreement not to sue.
i just have a feeling if we take any advice on these contracts and buyout negotiations from the swarm everyone involved is gonna get sued and we’re gonna end up paying way more money lol

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I expect that GT would negotiate to have him removed before Jan 1.
Firing him now and he likely looks for the whole $10.5MM.
Wait until November and offer him an extra 1/2 mil to leave a month early. That still saves you $2.8MM.

I'm not the least bit concerned about recruiting for this upcoming signing period. Our current class is one of the lowest rated in the ACC, you really aren't losing much there.
If they don't want to be here after the staff is released that is fine, they have to make the best decision for themselves.

We are less than 3 1/2 months from Jan 1. Do we really believe we will get $3.3MM worth of benefit by speeding it up to now? That is the question the AA has to answer.
I don't believe this goes to Jan 1 either way. One way or another I think this is over Dec 1st.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We are less than 3 1/2 months from Jan 1. Do we really believe we will get $3.3MM worth of benefit by speeding it up to now?
I would say in all probability, yes, if it means we'd have all the time between now and the end of the season to make the next hire instead of waiting until it's over and joining a crowded coaching search amidst much more competition.
Yes, in all great probability we will get $3.3 million worth of benefit by speeding it up to now. Along with a lot of other benefits, too, tangible and intangible.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm just wondering did anyone bother to look at other contracts to see if the Jan 1st language is actually unique? Because to me, it looks fairly common with the actual outliers having the period end in january. I strongly doubt it'll prevent us from making the change right after the uga game.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Question: Oct 8 we play at home vs Duke. Also on that same date, Ga State plays Ga Southern also in ATL. Which game has the higher attendance?

Personal note, I was looking forward to pulling a double that day, but now I'm not sure.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
i still honestly think if the team plays up to their ability those are 3 winnable games but i don’t see them having a chance at a convincing win.
Playing up to their ability is a result of good coaching.
We have seen no evidence that currently exists.

Just out of curiosity, I looked back at the 2011 season. That would have been PJ's first season with what was essentially a roster all of his own making.
We were 8-3 at one point. And could have been easily 10-1.
We are nowhere near that now with this staff and a roster that is again of their choosing. We're in that part of the schedule where the talent level for the most part is just about equal, maybe a little more, maybe a little less in some instances. The difference is coaching.
That is one variable that does not favor us at all.