Any info on OL injuries?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I scratch my head at people that are surprised the O isn't good. What did you really expect with 11 guys on the field and maybe 2 or 3 are talented enough to run this system in a P5 conference? I mean one of our best OL was a back up at Vandy. The TE is a hyped player and we got from one of the worst programs in FBS. None of our QBs had P5 offers to play the position beyond GT. It's going to take time, and be painful on that side of the ball.

Both D and S/T already seem improved, and with some reinforcements coming in terms of transfers I expect us to very very good there next year.
My problem isn’t with the O being bad. More with the lack of a gameplan or direction. Makes it seem like coaches don’t know what they are doing and just trying random stuff.

Also disagree that the skill level of our O players are the reason for such a performance against USF.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Elaborating on my own point, let’s either (1) take on our new offensive identity, even if we will be bad doing it; or (2) stick with the CPJ run based scheme until we get CGC personnel, if that’s what it is.

Doing what we are doing now is just boring and bad football, and constantly saying that you don’t have personnel is not an excuse. If that’s an issue, then do the run based offense that we have personnel for.

My problem isn’t with the O being bad. More with the lack of a gameplan or direction. Makes it seem like coaches don’t know what they are doing and just trying random stuff.

Also disagree that the skill level of our O players are the reason for such a performance against USF.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Southers also showed issues with pass protection. If we have to play with even less depth on the OL, even as much as they have struggled already, it will get worse and worse fast. No offense can run consistently well without a good O line.

My concerns coming into the season were mainly if our front 7 on D could hold up against top P5 teams, and if our O line could successfully block top P5 front 7's with the new system. I have seen nothing thus far, even though I must admit the D has been very disciplined for the most part and are giving max effort, that makes me think we can beat most of the remaining teams on our schedule. I still think 5 is a stretch and 6 is a miracle improvement by the coaches. I also believe USF was a very, very poor team in a downward spiral right now, and we were lucky to win, honestly. I am hoping that we exceed my current expectations.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Southers also showed issues with pass protection. If we have to play with even less depth on the OL, even as much as they have struggled already, it will get worse and worse fast. No offense can run consistently well without a good O line.

My concerns coming into the season were mainly if our front 7 on D could hold up against top P5 teams, and if our O line could successfully block top P5 front 7's with the new system. I have seen nothing thus far, even though I must admit the D has been very disciplined for the most part and are giving max effort, that makes me think we can beat most of the remaining teams on our schedule. I still think 5 is a stretch and 6 is a miracle improvement by the coaches. I also believe USF was a very, very poor team in a downward spiral right now, and we were lucky to win, honestly. I am hoping that we exceed my current expectations.
Good News is we play FCS next week so if some of the fellas need a breather to get healthy...Hopefully none are season ending..

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Good News is we play FCS next week so if some of the fellas need a breather to get healthy...Hopefully none are season ending..
I wanted to follow this through to the end before replying to you. Was your very first reply to the injury report? If so, have you been under a rock these past several years? Most, if not all, schools have not been specific about injuries.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You talking about Southers? He was out there into the 4th qtr I think. Could have swore I saw him. I thought him & DeFoor would be anchoring the line by now.
I saw him off the field early, but didnt see him late - i was wrong.
On replay he was there and did well - dominant when on his man .

slugboy

Staff member
I saw him off the field early, but didnt see him late - i was wrong.
On replay he was there and did well - dominant when on his man .

I’m glad you got a chance to look at replay—I haven’t yet. He may have platooned with DeFoors or another player. I’d have to look on a play by play basis to get the play count.

On some of the screens, we had players just look for someone to block while the tackler ran past them. I don’t know if it’s number of reps or game speed, but there were some head scratching moments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Here is what I think. Minihan most likely an ACL. He bent in an awkward position and could not put any weight on it. 90% of the time that indicates a torn ACL. Probably done for the season. Cooper has been in and out all fall camp. I think he has some chronic lower leg injuries, either ankle or foot. He probably can rest and make an attempt to get back but probably will not be 100% this season (his last). It would be great if Hansen could make it back but I'm hearing he has still not fully participated in a practice. I think you will see Jahaziel shifted to the OL full time and we will have to count on development of some second line talent like Scott Morgan, Mike Maye and Hamp Gibbs. Hopefully the walk ons can continue to develop as well.

Go Jackets!
If injuries are bad enough and players are willing both Hansen and Cooper have RS opportunities.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anyone seen any updates about injuries? Mainly along the O-Line. How severe are the Cooper and Minihan injuries? I’ve also heard Clark and Hansen are out. Hopefully with the Citadel then a bye week they’ll be good to go for Temple or at least UNC. Honestly, might be a good idea to hold them out this week as we shouldn’t (hopefully) need them. Just hope it’s nothing too serious a few weeks off won’t solve!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I heard that hansen had shoulder surgery and i do remember him in a sling early this year.
As the game was ending with the take knee drive, he was doing animated party animal dance movies like john Belushi (sic).

If any doubt, save him for unc!