Any big play WR's for 2017?

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I've always felt that Jeune is that guy. Big, physical receiver with good hands. Might not be the athlete in the open field that Smelter was, but if the ball hits Ricky's hands, pretty good chance he comes down with it. Need to do more comeback routes with him, let him create some separation.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dont forget Dolphus. Had several breakout type scrimmages. Excerpt from AJC review below - imagine he's put on a few pounds by now.

"He’s a beast and a physical receiver. He’s 6-foot-5, over 200 pounds, well put together and he’s physical. Not only is he physical, he runs an extremely polished route, he can double-move you, and he’s very unselfish. He fits Georgia Tech because he’s unselfish and he blocks extremely well.”

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if any of our present WRs will be as effective as the Smelter/Waller combo was. However, I don't think we have much of anything to worry about at this position. The starters improved beyond expectations (well … beyond my expectations) last year and there's no reason to think that they won't do at least as well or better this year. Problem = we have to get Matthew up to speed on routes and reads. He's got the arm; he needs the work.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Keep in mind that Stewart will be a true junior next year. We've gone after big guys that can go up and get it in traffic and block their tails off. I think our WRs were pretty good this year. In a lot of respects I think Stewart and Jeune are examples of a poor man's Smelter. They're sort of hybrid WR/TEs in our offense, which is just perfect. By the nature of the offense, they're going to get open deep, so you don't need ted ginns who can take the top off the defense by themselves.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Dont forget Dolphus. Had several breakout type scrimmages. Excerpt from AJC review below - imagine he's put on a few pounds by now.

"He’s a beast and a physical receiver. He’s 6-foot-5, over 200 pounds, well put together and he’s physical. Not only is he physical, he runs an extremely polished route, he can double-move you, and he’s very unselfish. He fits Georgia Tech because he’s unselfish and he blocks extremely well.”

Why did Camp not get Red-S and Dolphus did?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
bc he came in physically ready, and dolphus did not. Iirc camps father is a physical trainer or stte and had camp doing college style workouts in high school
And you can tell, he looks like some NFL WR's. If Dolphus can get there I think they could be a nasty 1-2 punch.