Any anticipated coaching changes by GT?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Let me begin by aplogizing if this is beating a dead horse or discussed elsewhere recently. If so mods be move this thread or delete it. I am just curious. Personally not calling for particular head to roll.
anyone think that there will be any coaching staff changes after the bowl game?
The offensicve line? New QB coach? Defensive backfield or just rotating coaches around to coach different positions for next year?
Will we retain the special teams coach? Will Joe Hamilton's role change any next year? I wonder what his overall evaluation of his performance will be this year?

Thoughts?

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
i know we've had our fair share of bad luck with OL depth and continuity for a multitude of reasons, but i'd sure like to see a fresh face coaching the OL. doubt it'll happen, though.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
The two guys who I could see being replaced, though both are highly unlikely are Mike Sewak (OL coach) and Joe Speed (DB coach). Both are unlikely because Sewak apparently has a great relationship with CPJ and Speed is in his first season working with the DBs. I feel pike unless someone is leaving for a better job that we'll be returning the same staff next year. Guys that could fit into that category are Ted Roof (as a HC) and Mike Pelton (as a DC).

Beau Vinetti

Georgia Tech Fan
Coach Speed has been with PJ since Navy and would leave only by his choice. I am a Coach Speed fan. I think he relates to the players very well and is an excellent recruiter.
Coach Sewak and PJ go way back so the only thing I can imagine would be to hire another O-line coach to assist Sewak and break it up the way he did with Coach Spencer. One guy coaches the C's and OG's and the other has the OT's.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Speed has been with PJ since Navy and would leave only by his choice. I am a Coach Speed fan. I think he relates to the players very well and is an excellent recruiter.
Coach Sewak and PJ go way back so the only thing I can imagine would be to hire another O-line coach to assist Sewak and break it up the way he did with Coach Spencer. One guy coaches the C's and OG's and the other has the OT's.
I too am a Coach Speed fan. I said it was very unlikely for either one to be fired. I brought up Speed simply based on the secondary performance throughout the year. I tthink both will look better next season

Sewak needs to go, just isn't a high level coach. I seriously doubt it happens tho

What do mean he isn't a high level coach?

Hasn't he been with CPJ at one of his previous stops?

Shouldn't CPJ know what he can or cannot do?

Is it really Sewak, or is it the players that he is given based on what we are able to Recruit?

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not so sure Sewak has been as effective since taking over coaching the whole line after Spencer left. I wouldn't be upset to see him repalced at this point. I find it hard to believe the players are the issue and that the guys we've had over the past few years aren't be better then patchwork lines we had in 08 and 09.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
CPJ hasn't been afraid to pull the trigger on assistant coaches when they haven't performed to his expectation. I don't think his personal relationships will get in the way with that. If he doesn't think someone's doing his job, he's going to let him know it, and then he's going to do something about it.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's more likely Sewak goes than some of y'all think.....

southern canned sewak as HC and he had a smidgen higher winning percentage than jeff monken. of course, CJM had to reintroduce the flexbone. then he proceeded to take the eagles to two semifinal playoff appearances, put up more points and yards on bama than one's done in years, and beat an SEC team. sewak couldn't make the playoffs and he inherited the team after CPJ left for navy. like i've said, nice guy but i question his ability to coach anyone up.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the Head Coaching change at Texas was anticipated by GT as it was by everyone else ...

With respect to Sewak, I don't have the expertise to pass judgment. However, I'm not as down on our OL as many and think they did a lot of good things this year. Our offense was still pretty good, and our QB struggled to make option reads consistently.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I have heard Sewak will be gone but I don't believe that to be the case as we had Stickler and Marshall already take OV's to Tech...Sewak was the main recruiter for Stickler so if we fire him then there would be a good chance he would look around. I would hope and figure that CPJ knew that before scheduling his OV a couple or weeks ago.