Antwan Owens Enters the Transfer Portal

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The only one I can think of that has gone to a P5 program is Brown. I heard Beamer somewhat lamenting the high number of scholarship WRs they have, saying they have more than most teams. They really don't have any proven WRs, and I haven't heard him mention Brown when discussing WRs. It will be interesting to see how that one turns out.
Chico Bennett is at UVA

slugboy

Staff member
Another CPJ recruit transfering to the FCS level...wow just WOW.... Excited to see how our current teams develops

I think we only had one QB make the NFL under Gailey, and that was Andy Hall. He transferred out of GT to get playing time at Delaware, and made an NFL roster from there.

There’s a long list of talented players who come out of FCS, including Jerry Rice.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a thought, maybe guys are done with having to deal with the rigor of GT academics but still want to pursue their dream of playing in the NFL? Transfering down let’s them continue to improve their craft and draft stock without dealing with the headache, stress and strain of GT academics.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No that's not it at all
I hate when people do this. If you're going to comment contrarily, explain why. If not, then just keep your comment to yourself. You may be right. You have more first-hand knowledge than almost anyone on this site (not everyone, but most), so your comments hold weight. But, when this is your whole comment, it comes across as either trolling or condescension to me.

I hate when people do this. If you're going to comment contrarily, explain why. If not, then just keep your comment to yourself. You may be right. You have more first-hand knowledge than almost anyone on this site (not everyone, but most), so your comments hold weight. But, when this is your whole comment, it comes across as either trolling or condescension to me.
Because if you transfer and are not a graduate, you then must prove hardship to play the next year. The other issue is that there are only a few places local to transfer to if the player wants to stay close to home.
If the implication is that CPJ had only FCS talent, well a few points here, our last recruiting class was ranked 48th, right about CPJ level, Jerry Howard as an example ran through lots of FBS talent so I wouldn't go there, and if CPJ only had that talent, well he is the best coach we have seen in years taking that talent to Orange Bowls.

bikeseat

GT Athlete

Before you get your panties in a twist, it looks like my edit I wrote a few mins later didn't post.

What I am saying is that it's incredibly unlikely that the strain of classes most FB players take would drive them away from the school.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Because if you transfer and are not a graduate, you then must prove hardship to play the next year. The other issue is that there are only a few places local to transfer to if the player wants to stay close to home.
If the implication is that CPJ had only FCS talent, well a few points here, our last recruiting class was ranked 48th, right about CPJ level, Jerry Howard as an example ran through lots of FBS talent so I wouldn't go there, and if CPJ only had that talent, well he is the best coach we have seen in years taking that talent to Orange Bowls.
CPJ had only one class 42nd or better.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Before you get your panties in a twist, it looks like my edit I wrote a few mins later didn't post.

What I am saying is that it's incredibly unlikely that the strain of classes most FB players take would drive them away from the school.
I appreciate this answer. As I said, as a former S-A, your perspective holds more weight (with me) than most fans on here (like me). So, this answer gives me perspective and will inform my opinion about why kids leave GT moving forward. Often times I wonder if it's the academics. Multiple times during my freshman year I seriously considered transferring out because the academics were so rigorous. Your words matter.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Jamal Camp was the first Tech position player recruited by Johnson taken in the NFL draft in 5 years. On the other hand, Johnson inherited 8 players from Gailey who were taken in the NFL draft, including two first rounders that helped get his team to an Orange Bowl. When Johnson "had that talent" the first two years he won 74% of this games. The next 9 years, he won 54%, having an over .500 record thanks to 10 FCS wins. Maintaining that we had good recruiting under Johnson is a fools errand, and you shouldn't go there. The facts are against you. You can only shout "Orange Bowl" so many times.

If you sign enough 3 star A backs, I guess you can have a recruting ranking of 48. But it takes linemen to win games.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't the NCAA pass the one free transfer rule? I do not think that is an issue any more.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

At Georgia Tech you can’t take another semester of dance classes just to stay eligible like Matt Leinart did at USC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well when the current staff can win 7 games I will stop replying about recruiting. But from what I am hearing in the Tech world, it better be 6 this year or there are going to be changes,
There are a lot of empty threats out there.

My response to that is "or what?" There is no answer other than they're going to be pissed and complain more loudly.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of empty threats out there.

My response to that is "or what?" There is no answer other than they're going to be pissed and complain more loudly.
Or they will stop caring altogether, they will stop attending games, they will stop donating, and they will find something else to occupy their time and attention. This isn't hard to figure out, you can only sell a sh** sandwich for so long.