Antwan Owens Enters the Transfer Portal

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think it's passed yet. All athletes have been given a free pass this year, but I don't think that it carte blanche moving forward. I think they're voting in June or August.
Looks like this has already passed.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Or they will stop caring altogether, they will stop attending games, they will stop donating, and they will find something else to occupy their time and attention. This isn't hard to figure out, you can only sell a sh** sandwich for so long.
I agree. But it will take longer than Year 3 or Year 4 or Year 5 for that to happen. And, if someone bails in Year 5 and then Year 6 and Year 7 show tremendous growth and improvement, those fans will be right back on board.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Looks like this has already passed.

Wow! Passed a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was coming up but not here yet. Good find. Thanks.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Here’s a thought, maybe guys are done with having to deal with the rigor of GT academics but still want to pursue their dream of playing in the NFL? Transfering down let’s them continue to improve their craft and draft stock without dealing with the headache, stress and strain of GT academics.
What?!?!
And leave a big party school like Georgia Tech!
What's the world coming to? 😉

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Jamal Camp was the first Tech position player recruited by Johnson taken in the NFL draft in 5 years. On the other hand, Johnson inherited 8 players from Gailey who were taken in the NFL draft, including two first rounders that helped get his team to an Orange Bowl. When Johnson "had that talent" the first two years he won 74% of this games. The next 9 years, he won 54%, having an over .500 record thanks to 10 FCS wins. Maintaining that we had good recruiting under Johnson is a fools errand, and you shouldn't go there. The facts are against you. You can only shout "Orange Bowl" so many times.

If you sign enough 3 star A backs, I guess you can have a recruting ranking of 48. But it takes linemen to win games.
His name is Jalen Camp. Jamal is his brother...

I think we only had one QB make the NFL under Gailey, and that was Andy Hall. He transferred out of GT to get playing time at Delaware, and made an NFL roster from there.

There’s a long list of talented players who come out of FCS, including Jerry Rice.
I see your point, but it will be interesting to see if CPJ transfers end up like Jerry Rice or more like Vad Lee and Marcus Marshall. Just saying

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a thought, maybe guys are done with having to deal with the rigor of GT academics but still want to pursue their dream of playing in the NFL? Transfering down let’s them continue to improve their craft and draft stock without dealing with the headache, stress and strain of GT academics.

That is overthinking it. It is mostly playing time.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I see your point, but it will be interesting to see if CPJ transfers end up like Jerry Rice or more like Vad Lee and Marcus Marshall. Just saying
Not sure Vad Lee fits the point you are trying to make. He had an excellent career at JMU and ended up setting multiple school records. Unfortunately he got hurt during his senior year when his team was 7-0 and missed the rest of the season, ending his college career.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Not sure Vad Lee fits the point you are trying to make. He had an excellent career at JMU and ended up setting multiple school records. Unfortunately he got hurt during his senior year when his team was 7-0 and missed the rest of the season, ending his college career.
--btw-Vad is playing now in the Spring "pro" league, I believe.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
--btw-Vad is playing now in the Spring "pro" league, I believe.
Yep beat me to it. I think he os the teams backup QB, but inciukd be wrong. I know he plays but not sure he starts. I think it's more about showcasing individual players than winning games to be fair, but given the little I saw him play, I'd be very surprised to see Lee on any NFL roster.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yep beat me to it. I think he os the teams backup QB, but inciukd be wrong. I know he plays but not sure he starts. I think it's more about showcasing individual players than winning games to be fair, but given the little I saw him play, I'd be very surprised to see Lee on any NFL roster.

I think he started because he got 3 TDs, I believe. Agree he isn't an NFL player but it's cool he is still playing. It is for the love of the game because I think he has a day job in a Derrick Moore type role for some team.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he started because he got 3 TDs, I believe. Agree he isn't an NFL player but it's cool he is still playing. It is for the love of the game because I think he has a day job in a Derrick Moore type role for some team.

He was team chaplain for the Indiana football team in 2018 and a team character coach for JMU the season after.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
He was team chaplain for the Indiana football team in 2018 and a team character coach for JMU the season after.

wow, that 's is something I didn't expect.
He had a odd career but I'll always remember that crazy unc game with him in which we came back and blew them away. 62-47? Actually scored more points than the basketball game a month later.