Anthony Williams

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Regardless, Pelton helped him find a place to play his last season. And the guy does have a degree from Georgia Tech.
This says a lot about the staff trying to help him out. Ant has his degree and if he applied didn't make it into a masters program at GT.

Good for him to get another year of education paid for somewhere.

LibertyTurns

Banned
He competed for the job, he didn't TAKE it.
I tell my up and comers at work all the time that they're working for their next position every day. Don't get stuck on the bench because you didn't bust your hump daily and let your competition have your promotion. It's that simple. When the boss has a problem that needs to be solved make sure he's already aware you're the answer. What's up with our culture when all the youngsters think they're supposed to be given the chance?

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Anthony Played for multiple DC's and multiple DLine coaches and NONE of them saw him as the answer, to any question about the defense. This past year, as a junior with 3 years in the program, he got a new set of coaches that opened everyone's positions up for grabs... JHD lost his position, Harrell stepped up and grabbed a position. All spring and summer, we heard about Pelton begging one of Dieke, Williams or a host of others to step up and take ownership of the position opposite Attaouchu. Why he didn't win the job, I don't know. But when multiple people tell you the same thing, and then you start lashing out at the foundation of the program.. it usually won't be long before you're shown the door.

Congrats to AW for getting his degree, and hopefully he can put it all together at Troy and i wish him well as a Tech letterman, but he brought his dismissal upon himself.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Anybody who thinks the coaches don't play the best available player is a moron.

Anybody who thinks the coaches always know who the best player to play is, is a moron. Otherwise you would never have heard of Kurt Warner, or any other backups who only got their shot when the guy in front of them got hurt/screwed up. Again, I agree that Ant didn't do everything he could to see the field, but if you honestly think that Dieke playing as much as he did was a smart move by the coaching staff then I really can't argue the point with you.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I tell my up and comers at work all the time that they're working for their next position every day. Don't get stuck on the bench because you didn't bust your hump daily and let your competition have your promotion. It's that simple. When the boss has a problem that needs to be solved make sure he's already aware you're the answer. What's up with our culture when all the youngsters think they're supposed to be given the chance?
Im relatively young but have a position at work where I'm positioned higher than a group of people ~15-20 years older than me. They complained when I got the promotion and still do albeit under their breaths. I show up at work at 7:30, leave at 5:30 and spend around 15 mins eating lunch at my desk, and a couple of breaks reading this site during the day. Guess whose cars aren't in the parking lot when I get to work and aren't there anymore when I leave. Guess who pushes our hour allowed lunches to an hour and 15-30 minutes... Happens to every generation, use those people to inspire your hard work

thwgjacket

I'm glad dude got his degree, but based on on-field achievement, we've already wasted too many posts on him...
+1.
What's up with Dwyer constantly hating on CPJ? I could understand if it was a one time, or even two, time thing but it has been just consistent hating. I remember reading about how Dwyer was making disparaging comments towards CPJ right after he came out early for the draft. Then again in 2011, and again in 2012, I remember Dwyer saying something negative. Now it happened again after the bowl game. I remember Dwyer thought the offense was why he took a dive in the draft (probably more to do with him constantly being out of shape) but I haven't noticed any of the other big name players from '08 and '09 coming out and saying anything negative. At least not to the extent and consistent basis Dwyer has.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
+1.
What's up with Dwyer constantly hating on CPJ? I could understand if it was a one time, or even two, time thing but it has been just consistent hating. I remember reading about how Dwyer was making disparaging comments towards CPJ right after he came out early for the draft. Then again in 2011, and again in 2012, I remember Dwyer saying something negative. Now it happened again after the bowl game. I remember Dwyer thought the offense was why he took a dive in the draft (probably more to do with him constantly being out of shape) but I haven't noticed any of the other big name players from '08 and '09 coming out and saying anything negative. At least not to the extent and consistent basis Dwyer has.

Dwyer was at the Spring Game and was interviewed by Bedford on the jumbotron. He had some nice words for CPJ.

It is odd that Dwyer does say those things about CPJ on social media. He comes back to GT a lot and seems like he's always on the sidelines...so that could be an awkward situation. He's a big reason why CPJ was successful (and vice versa) and he's a high profile former GT athlete so he needs to understand what he says could influence recruits. He's actually a very good guy and loves GT so it is surprising he would be so vocal about CPJ.

Hopefully whatever animosity he has towards CPJ has been settled and what he said during the spring game is a sign he's matured and has moved on.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just stop @GaTech4ever. We hear your pain for your friend, but Williams just didn't pan out the way we all wanted him to. All we saw were games but we all recognized Dieke wasn't all-world. I'm sure the coaches recognized that too and Williams still couldn't hit the field. Independent of the emotion you feel as his friend, what does that tell you? Considering Dieke found his way to an NFL camp invite he's not chopped liver.

Coaches aren't perfect but they generally get it right when it comes to playing guys who can help the team win. There are certainly examples of guys who fall through the cracks, but there are exceptions to every rule.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Just stop @GaTech4ever. We hear your pain for your friend, but Williams just didn't pan out the way we all wanted him to. All we saw were games but we all recognized Dieke wasn't all-world. I'm sure the coaches recognized that too and Williams still couldn't hit the field. Independent of the emotion you feel as his friend, what does that tell you? Considering Dieke found his way to an NFL camp invite he's not chopped liver.

Coaches aren't perfect but they generally get it right when it comes to playing guys who can help the team win. There are certainly examples of guys who fall through the cracks, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Haha, way off base there man. I acknowledge he screwed up enough. But even if he wasn't the backup, I still would have been begging for the backup to at least get a shot. Let's just put it this way- there are a lot of people in the program who agree more with me than with you. Maybe that is them being biased, but how can you explain sacks and TFL being equal this year?

Ant didn't "fall through the cracks" and 99% sure he won't play in the NFL. He was just never really given a chance consistently in a game, whereas we stuck with the production-less Dieke every damn snap. That's all I'm going to say on this, I want the best for all the Tech players, and I want the coaches to give guys their shot on the field if the guy in front of him isn't producing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Haha, way off base there man. I acknowledge he screwed up enough. But even if he wasn't the backup, I still would have been begging for the backup to at least get a shot. Let's just put it this way- there are a lot of people in the program who agree more with me than with you. Maybe that is them being biased, but how can you explain sacks and TFL being equal this year?

Ant didn't "fall through the cracks" and 99% sure he won't play in the NFL. He was just never really given a chance consistently in a game, whereas we stuck with the production-less Dieke every damn snap. That's all I'm going to say on this, I want the best for all the Tech players, and I want the coaches to give guys their shot on the field if the guy in front of him isn't producing.

I hear you. It's possible the A. Williams situation is getting mixed in with a separate but related issue: lack of dline rotation. I think most of us, and some on the team as you allude to, don't like the fact that the starters play virtually all of the game and are gassed late. This is certainly a problem but it's one I don't think should cause us to view Williams as a victim per se.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Your stats mean nothing. A guy could easily have achieved what you say (and more) by playing in garbage time vs patsies in a blowout. "Ant" had 1 sack and 2 tfls and you want to use that as evidence he should have played more? How about 28 tackles (Dieke) vs 8 (AW)? Shouldn't that stat be the exact same, too.

Btw, his 1 sack and 2 tfl's came against Elon.

The coaches watch these guys every single day at practice and in games. They damn well better know which player gives us the best chance to win. Their careers are on the line. It's not rocket science, if it was even close, they would have split time.

Animal02

Banned
He also graduated. There have been other players who graduated with eligibility left and transferred because they could not get admitted into a graduate school at Tech. Someone rather recently that went to Ga.State if I recall. It is not always a "football" issue.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Your stats mean nothing. A guy could easily have achieved what you say (and more) by playing in garbage time vs patsies in a blowout. "Ant" had 1 sack and 2 tfls and you want to use that as evidence he should have played more? How about 28 tackles (Dieke) vs 8 (AW)? Shouldn't that stat be the exact same, too.

The coaches watch these guys every single day at practice and in games. They damn well better know which player gives us the best chance to win. Their careers are on the line. It's not rocket science, if it was even close, they would have split time.

So you're saying Andrew Chau with his 100% PAT percentage doesn't mean he's better than Butker at 98.1%???

stephen-a-smith-skeptical-face-bw.png

thwgjacket

If more people in the program really agree with your point of view then why didn't Williams play more? Williams not playing is more Pelton's decision than anyone else's. He's the DL coach, the coach that's with these guys everyday. His opinion on who starts and plays where is going to be heavily weighted. If Pelton had truly advocated for Williams to get more time then Williams would have played more. From my perspective it looks like Pelton wasn't didn't think Williams was good enough, Roof didn't think he was good enough and consequently CPJ would not have thought Williams was good enough. Who are the "majority of people in the program"?

i think GT does run players off in their own way. For sure. We don't blatantly do it, but there are messages given to kids. What was Dwyers post you refer too?
The hugely significant difference here is that Anthony got "run off" holding a degree from a pre-eminent institution of high learning. Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for him.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

I've seen your posts enough to know that you referencing his Elon performance as an inflation to his stats is a huge contradiction to the season rushing stats under CPJ which you reference, which are also inflated by the Elon's of the world. A sack and another TFL in his first game of the year, and only gets playing time in 6 games the rest of the year. How is he supposed to produce? My main issue isn't with Anthony Williams as an individual not playing, it's that we RARELY rotated D lineman which should be a given in college football today, and this practice has hurt us in recruiting and current depth. That is fact.

But if you say so, Dieke is way better than Ant and deserved 90% of the snaps. Sorry that my eyes weren't tricked by Dieke's size, which clearly happened with coaches and fans. Hope he makes it in the NFL but he is probably the only 6'7 270 lb D1 starter who wasn't seriously scouted by NFL teams.