Anthem Protests

Deleted member 2897

I hope the coach, AD & Bud Peterson has enough respect for themselves to do what they need to do. I guess we'll find out.

Bud strikes me as a pretty spineless guy based on some of the quotes from him over the years.

I don't really have any problem with the NFL protests. They are employed by their teams, and if the teams are okay with it, then so be it. To me its a little different if you're out in the middle of the field detracting from the presentation and at a college event. Plus, she refused to even look at the flag, not sure yet what I think about that...but I don't want to overthink it. I am okay with her protesting and doing whatever she thinks, but I just wish she wouldn't try and create a spectacle from it (although I get that is part of the point). Even the people who voted for Trump (I didn't) are so sick and tired of politics all the time and they just want to watch some dang football.

She's probably only 18-20 years old, so I think they should keep that in mind as well if they are going to 'talk to her' or whatever you imply/hope. We've all done things in our lives that we might do a bit differently the second time around. Hopefully they'll encourage her use her 'fame' (position) to do something a different way. If we get to the point that the band and everyone else turns away from the flag during the anthem, what are we at - a football game, or a political rally?

LibertyTurns

Banned
When you're on a team you represent the team, not yourself. If that's the kind of team those young ladies are on or any GT team where wanton disregard for the team is allowed, I'd be very disappointed in the coach, the AD and our President for abdicating their responsibilities.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
When you're on a team you represent the team, not yourself. If that's the kind of team those young ladies are on or any GT team where wanton disregard for the team is allowed, I'd be very disappointed in the coach, the AD and our President for abdicating their responsibilities.

We don't know whether or not it was done with wanton disregard. I mean, what do you want? Her kicked out of school? The coach fired for not removing her from the team? Shiiii, that'd be throwing gas on the situation IMO.

Again, I'm not advocating these protests as I think it's just en vogue as of right now and distracts from the process of getting real problems solved. However, I disagree that they should be silenced for their insolence, so to speak. This ain't N. Korea.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ehhh I'm coming around to being all for these protests. In an era where all you see in people protesting is a bunch of violence (both physical and verbal), a bunch of folks found a way to get people to take notice without rioting and without spewing a bunch of harmful things about others. If we want people to stand for the National Anthem again maybe we should perhaps work towards getting something accomplished instead of just bitching about it?

LibertyTurns

Banned
We don't know whether or not it was done with wanton disregard. I mean, what do you want? Her kicked out of school? The coach fired for not removing her from the team? Shiiii, that'd be throwing gas on the situation IMO.

Again, I'm not advocating these protests as I think it's just en vogue as of right now and distracts from the process of getting real problems solved. However, I disagree that they should be silenced for their insolence, so to speak. This ain't N. Korea.
I'd kick her off the team. She wants to be an individual, she can do it by herself. You're advocating GT allow students representing the institute to disrespect the United States of America and then go on social media and flaunt it?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The whole thing is just stupid in my opinion. If you're going to claim your first amendment right to free speech and protest, then why are you protesting the symbol of that right? It makes no sense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd kick her off the team. She wants to be an individual, she can do it by herself. You're advocating GT allow students representing the institute to disrespect the United States of America and then go on social media and flaunt it?

I don't think it disrespects the USA. If anything, it promotes everything we stand for.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The whole thing is just stupid in my opinion. If you're going to claim your first amendment right to free speech and protest, then why are you protesting the symbol of that right? It makes no sense.

The anthem is not a symbol of that right IMHO.

I do think the whole thing is stupid though.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I fully support the right to free speech. This young lady is representing the Institute and as such should conduct herself appropriately. It's time for the adults to step up and restore order here. We should not tolerate individuals representing the Institute to go around on personal initiatives and then be allowed to flaunt it. If I did that at my workplace, I'd be shown the door.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I fully support the right to free speech. This young lady is representing the Institute and as such should conduct herself appropriately. It's time for the adults to step up and restore order here. We should not tolerate individuals representing the Institute to go around on personal initiatives and then be allowed to flaunt it. If I did that at my workplace, I'd be shown the door.

Again, do that and you'll probably have half the team(s) kneeling, a campus full of actual protesters and a martyr on your hands. That's a 'cut off your nose, spite your face' reaction.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What do they "need to do"?

I'm not necessarily "for" these protests but I am "for" their right to protest.

I agree. But not during a school function while wearing a school uniform and representing same school.

No school should have to allow itself to be used by participants as a platform for protest against anything.

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
Let's be honest, no one even cared what anyone did during the national anthem before now. Now that someone has given a REASON for their actions during the national anthem, everyone is all of a sudden so patriotic. BULL.

Leave this young lady alone, she is a fellow Yellow Jacket and is poised to do great things in life. I know her personally and know how much she loves this country, she loves it enough to want to change it.

And stop w/ this "she's representing the institute" talk. If the institute doesn't want her to express her right as an individual then they can kick her off the team - but tell me what that does other than create even more controversy.

Why this is even a topic of discussion on gtswarm boggles me - let's not do what POTUS is trying to do by dividing the GT family. GO JACKETS!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Again, do that and you'll probably have half the team(s) kneeling, a campus full of actual protesters and a martyr on your hands. That's a 'cut off your nose, spite your face' reaction.

If so half the team can turn their uniforms in and organize a protest elsewhere. If the GT football team were to embrace this, or go so far as the Mizzu team did post Ferguson and threaten to boycott a game. I'd can the whole season and decline to renew their scholarships the next year.

I've already "taken a knee" on the NFL. NFL and Roger Goodell can pound sand. I'm done with pro football.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That's actually not a bad point, @WreckedbyWhiskey . I deleted the post I had in which I eviscerated @Whiskey_Clear for disagreeing with my opinion(s). You're welcome, Whiskey :D

Seriously though, this illustrates the reason I'm sort of against these protests. Just muddies the waters and distracts from the fact that there are issues that need to be addressed. No one even knows what anyone's protesting against, thus problems go unsolved/unaddressed.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@kg01
Fire away my friend.

Reference the NFL and Goodell....

From Roger Goodell...""Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities,"

My response...Divisive demonstrations like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for our great nation, the men and women who sacrifice their lives to protect us, the citizens that love our nation, and shows a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our nation represents around the world.

It's the wrong venue for protest. It is divisive. If you are against divisiveness you should be opposed to these displays by individuals representing the GT family.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If so half the team can turn their uniforms in and organize a protest elsewhere. If the GT football team were to embrace this, or go so far as the Mizzu team did post Ferguson and threaten to boycott a game. I'd can the whole season and decline to renew their scholarships the next year.

I've already "taken a knee" on the NFL. NFL and Roger Goodell can pound sand. I'm done with pro football.
@kg01
Fire away my friend.

Reference the NFL and Goodell....

From Roger Goodell...""Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities,"

My response...Divisive demonstrations like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for our great nation, the men and women who sacrifice their lives to protect us, the citizens that love our nation, and shows a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our nation represents around the world.

It's the wrong venue for protest. It is divisive. If you are against divisiveness you should be opposed to these displays by individuals representing the GT family.

Naw, I was just kidding.

Honestly though, to deny or punish people for protesting goes against everything this country is supposed to stand for.