Another play to talk about....

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly nodawgs. Some qb's will check the play to a 1 tech, if they are looking to run the ball. Usually one will check the play to the 3 tech or check another play, but if ran to a 1 tech it is automatic keep.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Byerly is way tougher than Vad, a little more tougher than Tevin, and I will wait till mid 2014 to compare his toughness to Nesbitt.

I think we should wait until we've seen Byerly play an entire season, getting hit by blind-side shots from Clemson, Miami, BYI, UGA, etc before we start talking about how much tougher and better he or Justin is. Remember Vad looked good enough against our defense to win the starting job.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Tangent question, it seems like we are recruiting more hybrid type offensive players in the '14 & '15 class. Like Klock OT/jumbo athlete, Brown AB/WR... Is it possible for our offense to leverage these "hybrid" players w/ a hurry up offense? I can't really think of exact scenario, but let's say the defense lines up in a heavy run stopping defense. We run our play, instantly call hurry up, and lineup in a new formation that takes advantage of the defensive personnel on the field? Lol it's a raw idea, might not be anything here, but if this could work, imagine the anguish of opposing a coordinators. Not only do you have to make the right call here, you have to be thinking about the next 2-3 plays.
In theory, our base offense already gives us that flexibility. Our Abacks are ideally hybrid slot receivers/runningbacks. I like the idea of using Klock as a pass catching TE, but apparently his number disqualifies him from catching passes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we should wait until we've seen Byerly play an entire season, getting hit by blind-side shots from Clemson, Miami, BYI, UGA, etc before we start talking about how much tougher and better he or Justin is. Remember Vad looked good enough against our defense to win the starting job.
He looked good enough in all of 2012, too. WTF happened?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In theory, our base offense already gives us that flexibility. Our Abacks are ideally hybrid slot receivers/runningbacks. I like the idea of using Klock as a pass catching TE, but apparently his number disqualifies him from catching passes.

Klock's # does keep him from catching passes.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
He looked good enough in all of 2012, too. WTF happened?

That's my point. There's a big difference in being the guy who plays most plays in one game but only plays spot duty in the rest, versus getting hit week in and week out. Your body gets more & more banged up and you're never really at 100%. It takes a toll on the psyche.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Klock's number is reportedly #65. That makes him an ineligible receiver in college, period.

Rule:
The NCAA rulebook defines eligible receivers for college football in Rule 7, Section 3, Article 3.[1] The determining factors are the player's position on the field at the snap and their jersey number. Specifically, any players on offense wearing numbers between 50 and 79 are always ineligible. All defensive players are eligible receivers and offensive players who are not wearing an ineligible number are eligible receivers if they meet one of the following three criteria:

Player is at either end of the group of players on the line of scrimmage (usually the split end and tight end)
Player is lined up at least one yard behind the line of scrimmage (running backs, fullbacks, etc.)
Player is positioned to receive a hand-to-hand snap from the center (almost always the quarterback)
Players may only wear eligible numbers at an ineligible position when it is obvious that a punt or field goal is to be attempted.

A receiver loses his eligibility by leaving the field of play unless he was forced out by a defensive player and immediately attempts to get back inbounds (Rule 7-3-4). All players on the field become eligible as soon as the ball is touched by a defensive player or an official during play (Rule 7-3-5).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's my point. There's a big difference in being the guy who plays most plays in one game but only plays spot duty in the rest, versus getting hit week in and week out. Your body gets more & more banged up and you're never really at 100%. It takes a toll on the psyche.
It didn't seem to bother Josh or Tevin.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Being tough and being a good option QB are two different categories. Byerly played tough in the spring game. He hit people, he carried several people, he played a very physical game. Right now Tevin is the best option QB.

Vad is still a good athelete, but never was a great passer. He did struggle with making reads. He also lost some "passion" that might have been due to the "hit". You cannot plan a whole season on Vad being a good athelete as the defense will just plan for him. How many times will the jet sweep or a QB boot leg work if the defense knows that is all you have planned.

Also I will admit, the same could happen to Byerly or anyone after a big hit.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Being tough and being a good option QB are two different categories. Byerly played tough in the spring game. He hit people, he carried several people, he played a very physical game. Right now Tevin is the best option QB.

Vad is still a good athelete, but never was a great passer. He did struggle with making reads. He also lost some "passion" that might have been due to the "hit". You cannot plan a whole season on Vad being a good athelete as the defense will just plan for him. How many times will the jet sweep or a QB boot leg work if the defense knows that is all you have planned.

Also I will admit, the same could happen to Byerly or anyone after a big hit.
Vad never acquired an essential skill that both Tevin and Josh had: the ability to avoid big hits. Whether it's a 6th sense or just the ability to move into a defensive position on contact, Vad didn't have it. So instead he just chose to avoid contact altogether. That said, both Josh and Tevin had their share of blind side hits that would shake anybody yet they still ran agressively. Heck, the hit last year that should have made a qb tentative was the one JT took at Miami. I don't see him shying away from contact now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Klock's number is reportedly #65. That makes him an ineligible receiver in college, period.

Rule:

It makes him an ineligible receiver of forward passes.

The rules as I understand them require 5 guys with ineligible numbers on the line during normal plays. So, knowing he was going to play on the line in our O which typically uses a 4 receiver set would mean that he would have to get such a number.

So, what pass could CPJ have had in mind with Klock? Only the backward pass like he used with Barrick against georgie in 2008 and Beno in 2012.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It makes him an ineligible receiver of forward passes.

The rules as I understand them require 5 guys with ineligible numbers on the line during normal plays. So, knowing he was going to play on the line in our O which typically uses a 4 receiver set would mean that he would have to get such a number.

So, what pass could CPJ have had in mind with Klock? Only the backward pass like he used with Barrick against georgie in 2008 and Beno in 2012.
I'll concede your point. However, in that case, it's not a "pass", but a lateral, which is a running play. He'll still be receiving a thrown ball from the Quarterback. Point taken.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
No doubt a penalty.

He's allowed to raise his butt as long as he doesn't move his feet, flinch or lift his hand AFTER he is set for the play to begin. Once he's set he can't move until the ball is snapped. If you notice he's set a couple seconds before the ball is snapped.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
He's allowed to raise his butt as long as he doesn't move his feet, flinch or lift his hand AFTER he is set for the play to begin. Once he's set he can't move until the ball is snapped. If you notice he's set a couple seconds before the ball is snapped.

I thought he had to be set prior to any motion by the ABs

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
He was set and moved forward on the snap. If he fires off before the snap with the AB moving its a procedure penalty.