Another play to talk about....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The guard blocks PS A-gap. If the 3 tech comes into the A gap he will be blocked or washed down and it becomes a keep, if not the guard will climb to 2nd level. The only way it is a predetermined keep is if the DT is a 1 tech.

I think I get this, and thanks for posting. Is this right?

1) Midline lead will attack, typically veer, the 3-tech (in the play posted above, Gotsis looks like a 1-tech but Green kind of does too, 2-Tech?) Anyway, in this case, Green is the playside DT.

2) Green attacks the A-Gap, so, by scheme, the guard can't veer him but down-blocks him.

3) The B-Back changes his dive path from midline to become another lead blocker while the trailing A-Back, Days, also folds up as a lead blocker per midline lead.

Am I close?

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
QB and BB have to be reading the same sheet of music or it looks real ugly. Much harder than what you would think. Trying to do it at full speed and not being hesitant is the real trick to running this offense.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
So, if the direction of the play went the other way it would be a predetermined keep based on the pre-snap (1 tech) read? Usually with a classic 4-3 front you have one DT in the 1 tech, and one at the 3 tech.
Correct.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
If the DT is a 1 tech, the guard will wash him down. the BB will go B -gap and block pslb.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
With the knowledge here, and Roddy Jones calling the plays, I cannot wait to get the season started.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Chris Griffin (LT) needs to do a better job of sealing off backside pursuit. Not a great effort on this play, which allows Chaz Cheeks to get into/near the play near down field.

Trey Braun (LG) appears his assignment is to cut off any penetration in the weakside A-gap. I'm guessing that on this play the center would step & punch weakside to help stop the 2I DT, if he slanted in. However, gotsis slants into the B gap away from the play. Trey does a pretty good job of adjusting & seals him off. Nothing spectacular but effective.

Freddie Burden (C) great first step to protect weak-side penetration (I think). Nothing there so he climbs to the 2nd level. Here he makes his only mistake on the play. I think burden's head should go on Mcnair's (LB) left shoulder to cut off penetration towards the play. McNair is a split second to quick but Freddie does a nice job of washing him & driving him into the ground. The part I really love is that once he pancakes the LB, he's instantly running to the next level to pick off someone else.

Shaquille Mason (RG) I had to take tvan's analysis here. It does appear that Shaq is stepping towards play side A gap. Shawn Greene (DT) is stunting inside in a hurry! Shaq is able to wash him down. No harm, no foul.

Bryan Chamberlin (RT) Appears like his role is to drive block the DE (Stargel) lined up on his outside shoulder. IMO, this is the hardest block b/c the OT doesn't get the help of an angle. It's pretty much strength vs strength. And to chamberlins credit, he handles Stargel easily.

Watching just the OLine play, it seems like this was a great play call. Both DTs slanted away from the play, although you could argue that the playside DT slant forced the keep. What do you guys think? Luck of the draw? CPJ 3 plays ahead of Ted Roof? Somewhere in between? I guess my question is, how great is CPJ's mastery of his offense? Is he calling plays based on the law of probability & numbers or can he foresee the defensive play, stunts/blitz, based on the context of the game

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Chris Griffin (LT) needs to do a better job of sealing off backside pursuit. Not a great effort on this play, which allows Chaz Cheeks to get into/near the play near down field.

Trey Braun (LG) appears his assignment is to cut off any penetration in the weakside A-gap. I'm guessing that on this play the center would step & punch weakside to help stop the 2I DT, if he slanted in. However, gotsis slants into the B gap away from the play. Trey does a pretty good job of adjusting & seals him off. Nothing spectacular but effective.

Freddie Burden (C) great first step to protect weak-side penetration (I think). Nothing there so he climbs to the 2nd level. Here he makes his only mistake on the play. I think burden's head should go on Mcnair's (LB) left shoulder to cut off penetration towards the play. McNair is a split second to quick but Freddie does a nice job of washing him & driving him into the ground. The part I really love is that once he pancakes the LB, he's instantly running to the next level to pick off someone else.

Shaquille Mason (RG) I had to take tvan's analysis here. It does appear that Shaq is stepping towards play side A gap. Shawn Greene (DT) is stunting inside in a hurry! Shaq is able to wash him down. No harm, no foul.

Bryan Chamberlin (RT) Appears like his role is to drive block the DE (Stargel) lined up on his outside shoulder. IMO, this is the hardest block b/c the OT doesn't get the help of an angle. It's pretty much strength vs strength. And to chamberlins credit, he handles Stargel easily.

Watching just the OLine play, it seems like this was a great play call. Both DTs slanted away from the play, although you could argue that the playside DT slant forced the keep. What do you guys think? Luck of the draw? CPJ 3 plays ahead of Ted Roof? Somewhere in between? I guess my question is, how great is CPJ's mastery of his offense? Is he calling plays based on the law of probability & numbers or can he foresee the defensive play, stunts/blitz, based on the context of the game

Usually CPJ does not call the plays during the spring game. Unless the ball is not moving.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Each team has an offensive coach that calls the plays.

One section had a hurry up and plays signaled in ..

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm really looking forward to "hurry up" but not as most of you are thinking. I'm looking forward to the speed of executing our plays hurried up and I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen. We looked like we were running in mud last year. Navy looks so much faster than us and it's about to change.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm really looking forward to "hurry up" but not as most of you are thinking.

Tangent question, it seems like we are recruiting more hybrid type offensive players in the '14 & '15 class. Like Klock OT/jumbo athlete, Brown AB/WR... Is it possible for our offense to leverage these "hybrid" players w/ a hurry up offense? I can't really think of exact scenario, but let's say the defense lines up in a heavy run stopping defense. We run our play, instantly call hurry up, and lineup in a new formation that takes advantage of the defensive personnel on the field? Lol it's a raw idea, might not be anything here, but if this could work, imagine the anguish of opposing a coordinators. Not only do you have to make the right call here, you have to be thinking about the next 2-3 plays.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
maybe this is where a pistol formation comes into play? At opportune times in the game, call no huddle, hurry up, line up in a pistol, spread the ABs out as slot wrs & throw a screen/fly toward the speed mismatch. In my mind, this is a weapon that could restrict the defense from playing their optimal personel to stop our base offense..that alone would make it effective

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AE, I think dc is saying he wants our plays to be played with speed, not between the plays but during the play.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would like to see a hurry up series if the O is having difficulty moving down the field.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like a hurry up when the D gets caught off balance or especially with bad personnel matchup. When the O is struggling id prefer them to take as much time as necessary to make sure they are all on the same page.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I like a hurry up when the D gets caught off balance or especially with bad personnel matchup. When the O is struggling id prefer them to take as much time as necessary to make sure they are all on the same page.
This makes sense... Also give the D a chance to catch their breath and give coaches a little time to make adjustments.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
The guard blocks PS A-gap. If the 3 tech comes into the A gap he will be blocked or washed down and it becomes a keep, if not the guard will climb to 2nd level. The only way it is a predetermined keep is if the DT is a 1 tech.
No, predetermined has to do with the play call from CPJ, not a qbs decision. If a true midline (with a read) is called and there is a 1 tech, you can either flip the play or check to veer.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the defenders are starting as defenders because they are hard to block and can get to the ball carrier.

Thanks for the videos Longest Day. How do you record them? Looks like a screen shot video ....

I want to think that, but the backside DT and play side end stood straight up. It was the 1st thing i noticed. Play side DT was weak at point of contact and the play side ILB should have blown up ZL, regardless if he had the ball.

I know it's just one play, so not trying to draw too many conclusions. Glad to see the midline back, with its success comes the big pass plays.

I hope our QBs progress substantially with their reads. It's fun to watch this O do what it does when working.