Another play to talk about....

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just trying to keep things interesting....

Here is a midline to examine and see if everyone did the right thing....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
First thing I see is that Bostic still can't block for crap! If he seals his man, TB may take it to the house. They're on the 30. Days does a good job on one safety and shields the 2nd safety temporarily. Probably enough for TB to get around them if Bostic would have sealed the PS corner. Nevermind. On second look, Days wiffed too. Laskey did just barely enough.

Man some of our skill guys suck at blocking. They do enough to get in the way and we gain 15 yards. Imagine if they could actually engage the defender and maintain the block, it'd be 2008/2009 all over again!

Last edited:

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Again another predetermined keep. You can tell because the 3 Tech gets blocked, and Laskey doesn't sell the mesh well and immediately acts as a lead blocker. Another dead give away that a play is predetermined is when you see Base blocking across the front. This play was base blocked. Looks like very few plays from the spring game were read plays.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
It's very difficult to hit a moving target at full speed. Bostic needs to do better. He's trying to block Golden, who lets be honest, isn't the toughest cookie on the field. Laskey slammed into his man and put him on the ground. To say someone did just barely enough is like being a little bit pregnant. You either do it or you don't. Everyone has a job to do. When they all do it big plays will follow. Every play isn't going to be a TD. This offense is about moving the chains and pounding the other team into submission.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agree it's hard to block at full speed. I was a RB in high school and sucked at blocking, even at that level. One time the coach made us run the same play 5 times in a scrimmage until I got the blocking assignment correct. But I digress.

ZL got just enough of the IL to allow TB to break the arm tackle. Had that been JT, he might have gotten through untouched because of his speed or he might have been brought down with the arm tackle for a gain of 3.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe the defenders are starting as defenders because they are hard to block and can get to the ball carrier.

Thanks for the videos Longest Day. How do you record them? Looks like a screen shot video ....

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Thanks Longestday for the breakdown. Also thanks to the others the help the uninitiated better see - not sure I'll ever totally understand - some to see some of the nuances that go on.

Glad the comment was made that it is difficult to hit/block a moving target, especially one that doesn't want to be blocked.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
CPJ uses that play a lot. It is a keeper with a fake mesh to allow the guys to setup their blocks. It is simple in design, but hard to defend because the D is out numbered on one side. It is a good play to setup the 3O because CPJ will run it until the LBs start flowing to the side of the motion or lines up to plug the B gap.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's very difficult to hit a moving target at full speed. Bostic needs to do better.
This is why blocking is skill #1 in Abacks seeing the field. Makes me appreciate guys like Roddy Jones and Robbie Godhigh all the more. Two guys who weren't all that big, but were the reason for so many big plays getting that key block.

The only guy I can think of who stank at blocking but still started was AA, but he was a very gifted runner. Everybody remembers the play against Miami where Roddy Jones was nearly decapitated. Guess who missed the lead block on that one? To his credit, he improved a good bit as the season wore on.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why would Bostic not cut Golden on that play? It seems like the obvious choice to me. It would have conformed to the new blocking rules, no?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Why would Bostic not cut Golden on that play? It seems like the obvious choice to me. It would have conformed to the new blocking rules, no?

I call his block a roster fight block. You lose those when you give up 30 lbs. You have to find a way to tie up his feet or make him climb over you. If Smelter roster fights Golden it is a different outcome.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I call his block a roster fight block. You lose those when you give up 30 lbs. You have to find a way to tie up his feet or make him climb over you. If Smelter roster fights Golden it is a different outcome.
If Godhigh was blocking him, it wouldn't have mattered how he blocked him, but it probably would have been a cut. If I was coach I'd show that replay to Bostic and say that's why you don't see the field.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know if you have noticed, Byerly looks for people to hit. There was a seem between Issa and Golden, but Byerly choose to hit Golden.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Not an option, but what is interesting with this play is that in the spring game byerley seemed to have a pretty good grasp of the offense and I am curious if this was the original play call or if he read the defense and audibled to it.

For the not an option statement see @nodawgs above, DT - 3 tech and DE were blocked. I think a lot of the lack of option was due to the rain and weakness of the QB center exchange, although byerley still ran a fair amount.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Byerly is way tougher than Vad, a little more tougher than Tevin, and I will wait till mid 2014 to compare his toughness to Nesbitt.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
The guard blocks PS A-gap. If the 3 tech comes into the A gap he will be blocked or washed down and it becomes a keep, if not the guard will climb to 2nd level. The only way it is a predetermined keep is if the DT is a 1 tech.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The guard blocks PS A-gap. If the 3 tech comes into the A gap he will be blocked or washed down and it becomes a keep, if not the guard will climb to 2nd level. The only way it is a predetermined keep is if the DT is a 1 tech.

So, if the direction of the play went the other way it would be a predetermined keep based on the pre-snap (1 tech) read? Usually with a classic 4-3 front you have one DT in the 1 tech, and one at the 3 tech.