Another defensive question

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Lamont Simmons and steph Durham seem to be the two best corners when it comes to coverage, so why are they never on the field at the same time? they might both play at the same time but I have not noticed it, so sorry if I'm wrong. It just seems to me we don't always have the best on the field, and we are more concerned about keeping them at a specific position. Does anyone know why this is?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Lamont Simmons and steph Durham seem to be the two best corners when it comes to coverage, so why are they never on the field at the same time? they might both play at the same time but I have not noticed it, so sorry if I'm wrong. It just seems to me we don't always have the best on the field, and we are more concerned about keeping them at a specific position. Does anyone know why this is?

They are on the field at the same time in our prevent D, maybe called our dime? I also saw Andree off the LOS (LB?) while we were in prevent D. I can't answer your question about L Simmons replacing L Austin as I am not at practice, but I have wondered the same thing, especially when we are facing two 6'+ WRs.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
IDK what y'all are seeing but Lance Austin is by far our best corner and outside of Gamble probably has been the most consistent player on D all year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They aren't the best in terms of tackling though. The Austin brothers are pretty darned good in this respect. They seem to get guys on the ground pretty reliably.

jeffgt14

Corey had been a great playmaker and a great leader on the field but he is a liability in coverage. AJ has made great plays the year but several times has allowed long runs by filling the wrong gap. I agree those 2 have done a great job this year but I think Lance has too especially when teams keep trying to pick on his size and fail.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Gonna need some of those big plays from DBs next week.

Eason may have some big numbers but viewing their entire season I think the frosh TE and that receiver (Isaac or Isaiah whatever) have made plays to actually make him look better.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
They aren't the best in terms of tackling though. The Austin brothers are pretty darned good in this respect. They seem to get guys on the ground pretty reliably.
I agree with this, but I want my CB's good in coverage, and you would still leave the one Austin twin in at nickle which helps with tackling.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
Along the D strain in this topic...PJ and Mitchell are the only two LBs who have played the last two games. Every snap has been #s40 and 51. That's gotta be pretty much a slap in the face to Chase Alford, a senior who was playing his last game at BDS today. I think it is a shame!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Along the D strain in this topic...PJ and Mitchell are the only two LBs who have played the last two games. Every snap has been #s40 and 51. That's gotta be pretty much a slap in the face to Chase Alford, a senior who was playing his last game at BDS today. I think it is a shame!
I don't think you play a guy based on it being senior day strictly because he's a senior. You play him if you think he gives you the best chance to win. And imo it wouldn't be any different if we were winning big and then played him late just to say we played him because it would still seem like he wasn't needed at that point.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IDK what y'all are seeing but Lance Austin is by far our best corner and outside of Gamble probably has been the most consistent player on D all year.
He gets burnt consistently, but he makes up with big plays. You are looking at those big plays and translating them to him being our best CB when you have steph on the other side that doesn't give up half as many catches nor does he have many thrown his way because of him having good coverage. Steph has won defensive player of the game twice this year, and that's without an int, forced fumble or really any big play, and that's because he plays sound football. If you aren't hearing his name at all as a CB it's probably a good thing. Robert Alford makes more "big" plays than Trufant for the Falcons at CB but he's not nearly as good as Trufant.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have very rarely seen a bad play out of Lance that wasn't more the result of him just doing what Ted Roof called.
Sorry but when he's still back peddling and the ball is in the air (saw this today) that's not roof. And this is coming from someone that's not happy with roofs coaching/scheme. Lance doesn't have good closing speed and I have seen many teams pick on him on quick routes because of that. I have also seen him Burt deep but bad passes helped him out. Don't get me wrong he's a solid tackler and decent in coverage, he makes big plays, but he also gives up some plays.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I think Mitchell has been awful and slow this year, so i watched him on 2 drives for the whole drive to see if I was wrong....and their were 4 completions to his guy/area out of 5 attempts which the one incompletion was a drop. On the run plays he could only break lose of his block twice, and tackled air twice...not very impressive. Still mind blowing how the LB's rotate or lack of rotation and how Lewis is not on the field with his speed....hopefully only two more games with this defense

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think Mitchell has been awful and slow this year, so i watched him on 2 drives for the whole drive to see if I was wrong....and their were 4 completions to his guy/area out of 5 attempts which the one incompletion was a drop. On the run plays he could only break lose of his block twice, and tackled air twice...not very impressive. Still mind blowing how the LB's rotate or lack of rotation and how Lewis is not on the field with his speed....hopefully only two more games with this defense
Speed aside, It's amazing how Lewis has a very productive game and then doesn't play anymore.

jeffgt14

He gets burnt consistently, but he makes up with big plays. You are looking at those big plays and translating them to him being our best CB when you have steph on the other side that doesn't give up half as many catches nor does he have many thrown his way because of him having good coverage. Steph has won defensive player of the game twice this year, and that's without an int, forced fumble or really any big play, and that's because he plays sound football. If you aren't hearing his name at all as a CB it's probably a good thing. Robert Alford makes more "big" plays than Trufant for the Falcons at CB but he's not nearly as good as Trufant.
I think we're watching 2 different games. I won't say much bad about Step because he does a good job too. The VERY large majority of receptions have usually gone to guys being cover by the other 9 guys on the field.