Another cause for concern

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We need for Harrison to get some chances in the next couple of games and make them. We need him confident. Any game could come down to a hit or miss by him. In fact, if he hits both of his Saturday and PJ decides to try him on 4th and 16 and he hits, that's nine points. We lost by 8.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Both of the first half misses looked like the wind fooled him. On the first one, I think he expected more crosswind than he got, which is why it was wide right by just a hair. On the second one, he may have overcompensated based on the first FG miss and pushed it left.

Declinometer

Banned
Sincerely don't know the answers.
Did HB miss any FGs in ACC championship game?
Did he miss any in the Orange Bowl?
He did miss a makeable FG and a difficult FG (strong gusts) against ND.
I don't think he tried a FG before the ND game.
He has a strong leg, kick offs have been good.
I believe he is an asset.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not down on Butker. I just know that a quality place kicker can win some games for you. And I suspect place kicking is kinda like putting; a lot of it is mental. When you approach it with relaxed confidence, chances are you make it. If he gets some chances and puts 'em through, that would be a good thing.

acedarney

Georgia Tech Fan
Michael Jordan missed a dunk one time.

And Jamarcus Russell threw a TD pass one time.

Good kickers are consistent, especially on run-of-the-mill kicks. Butker has a big leg and he's been great on kickoffs, sure, but he also needs to make the routine plays. In his radio show, Coach Johnson said that we have varied expectations for the team (anything less than 40 points on offense is bad, but we think the defense did pretty good when it forces the opponent to punt 3 times). The same appears to be happening with the kicking game.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps instead of ending practice when e makes the long FGs, they should end if he can make progressively shorter ones. Start at 45 and drop 5 yds off each one.

May sound a little weird and overkill, but I'd be blasting music and having people run around him blowing party horns, hahaha. Talk about pressure. Just a thought.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ND's kicker was the #1 prep kicker in HS football last year. He has struggled as well this season.

Butker is a true sophomore. He shows promise, and the "UGA FG" displays his leg strength and hints at his ability to make big time kicks. Give him time everyone...he's got the talent. Just needs the consistency. He'll get there.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary used to stand right next to them and stare at them, I always thought that was pretty good pressure, might not have been with Chan Gailey, but GOL was pressure.
Thought Butker was a Jr.?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We need for Harrison to get some chances in the next couple of games and make them. We need him confident. Any game could come down to a hit or miss by him. In fact, if he hits both of his Saturday and PJ decides to try him on 4th and 16 and he hits, that's nine points. We lost by 8.
I was at the game and with that wind it's hard to make it, that's why you saw the punts the way they were.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Butker is so aggravating to me. You can tell he has all the goods, but he just doesn't make kicks with regularity. I have no idea why.

His misses frequently look better than other college kickers makes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Losses suck. The over analysis of the fanbase afterwards sucks more. I know it's kind of a natural reaction but the bottom line is we played poorly. Talented teams do that at times. Teams with good schemes and coaching do it. I happen to think we are both. It will take more than one loss / bad performance to change my mind.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
ND's kicker was the #1 prep kicker in HS football last year. He has struggled as well this season.

Butker is a true sophomore. He shows promise, and the "UGA FG" displays his leg strength and hints at his ability to make big time kicks. Give him time everyone...he's got the talent. Just needs the consistency. He'll get there.

He's a true junior

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I can't seem to figure HB out. You would think he practices short FGs as well as long ones. If CPJ doesn't have him kicking from that right hash inside the 30.. then he's crazy. Just don't think HB is adept at changing the swing of his leg to make it go 1 direction or the other. Kind of like golfers who struggle with the fade or draw.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member