Annapolis newspaper article on option offense

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Johnson's disciples give him enormous credit for sparking their own devotion to the triple option.

"He's one of the smartest men I've ever met," Niumatalolo said. "Now that I look back over 27 years of coaching, there are some coaches who make the game way more complicated than it is. But coach Johnson was always a clear, simple, precise teacher, and so the game was very simple."

Twenty-nine years after he began his apprenticeship with Johnson, Niumatalolo grins at the simple beauty of it.

"Option principles are based off numbers. If you do this, we do that. If you have more guys here, we go there, " he said. "Football's really not a complicated game."

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
with plenty of mentions, of course, of CPJ:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy_sports/bs-sp-navy-triple-option-1208-20161207-story.html

Oh: Today's Army-Navy game will be the final football game called by Verne Lundquist; he's staying in broadcasting, but no more football game-calling after today for the 76-year old.[/QUOTE

Were they paying tribute to great Navy carriers or was there actually a player on the Naval Acad team with the last name Forrestal? One DL had Forrestal on the back of is jersey.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Were they paying tribute to great Navy carriers or was there actually a player on the Naval Acad team with the last name Forrestal? One DL had Forrestal on the back of is jersey.
They all wear a unit patch they select from one of the services (doesn't have to be Navy). Seniors get to wear 2 patches.

Forrestal was the 1st conventionally powered large carrier & I'd guess that player had a relative that served on her.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Navy players also had the PC patch on their helmets for the Midshipman son of the US Marshal shot and killed n the line of duty in Long County a few weeks ago

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Years ago, I once asked PJ who I thought the best head coaching candidate on his staff was. He did not hesitate to answer with Jeff Monken.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Years ago, I once asked PJ who I thought the best head coaching candidate on his staff was. He did not hesitate to answer with Jeff Monken.
To this uninformed guy, Monken seems like the most likely successor to CPJ, assuming he doesn't go somewhere else first.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
To this uninformed guy, Monken seems like the most likely successor to CPJ, assuming he doesn't go somewhere else first.

I wonder if/when PJ decides to hang it up and retire, or leave, or w/e happens, if tech decides to stick with an option minded coach. It's such a unique situation because the offense creates such a niche for us to always be competitive but creates so many haters at the same time. I just would be surprised to see another option coach hired even though it would make sense with our personnel.

I wonder if/when PJ decides to hang it up and retire, or leave, or w/e happens, if tech decides to stick with an option minded coach. It's such a unique situation because the offense creates such a niche for us to always be competitive but creates so many haters at the same time. I just would be surprised to see another option coach hired even though it would make sense with our personnel.
Part of the haters' problems is that CPJ is a non-nonsense guy, who doesn't tolerate stupid media types and always speaks his mind. Personally, I like that, but maybe an option coach who these haters think is a little more pleasant would not be frowned on. Regardless, I hope whoever makes the decision when that time rolls around considers ALL the factors and not just the wishes of a stubborn few.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Johnson has a few more years at Tech, but Moncken would definitely be a good choice whenever he hangs it up. But so would the Navy coach.
Word is the only job Niumatalolo would have been interested in leaving Navy for was BYU and then it ended up not happening this last offseason. Not sure he would leave Navy for us. He likes it a lot there. I mean I guess you could say money talks but I have a feeling we would have to look elsewhere.

Word is the only job Niumatalolo would have been interested in leaving Navy for was BYU and then it ended up not happening this last offseason. Not sure he would leave Navy for us. He likes it a lot there. I mean I guess you could say money talks but I have a feeling we would have to look elsewhere.
Well, HOPEFULLY, we won't be looking anywhere at all for some years to come.