Animated CPJ in Player's Faces...

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whatever the conversation was about must have made an impression on Snoddy because he had a very nice punt(?) return which put us a good field position.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ and the other coaches should get after players when they screw up.

I had a band director who yelled and got in people's faces. Uncomfortable experience, but it didn't happen unless you did something stupid and were capable of better. His high standards made us all better musicians.

I am glad CPJ has high standards and holds players accountable.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow

I had a band director who yelled and got in people's faces. Uncomfortable experience, but it didn't happen unless you did something stupid and were capable of better. His high standards made us all better musicians.

I really think you are right. If CPJ didn't care he wouldn't yell. There are standards that he holds for everyone and if CPJ feels like you can/ should do better , then CPJ doing that is a favor. I can bet Snoddy want forget it.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
When CPJ was in Joe's face he was pretty pissed. You didn't have to be able to read lips and you could tell what he was saying. The camera cut away pretty fast.

It looked like football though, at least how I remember it when I did something stupid on the field. I know some guys that played under CPJ and Navy and Southern. They both said he was a coach that would do anything for you off the field, but step on the grass and it was a different deal. Inside that white line you did not want to get on his bad side. That's how it should be.

Don't recall the specific plays or what precipitated it (one was Snoddy, related to pitch position an resulting fumble, rght?), but seems like it's been a while since CPJ was as up in the faces of the players as he was this afternoon... Man, he was about ready to bite off some heads like Ozzy Osbourne - all of which I appreciate... Great seeing the fire of a great competitor - hope it continues to rub off on the team...
After we made the fourth and 15, Beamer can be seen dropping the F-bomb on the "TechSideLine".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I thought the pitch to Snoddy was high and behind him. Maybe not all his fault.

FWIW, that conclusion changes if either Snoddy was responsible for maintaining pitch relationship or he failed to actively try and recover the fumble.

GaTechfan06

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't swear to it, but I thought I saw CPJ "get animated" with a coach when they got the delay of game call while lining up to punt in the 1st half. The leader needs to lead and during a highly competitive sport/game, I would expect nothing more than some "animated" banter between those who are participating. UGA fans are begging for it in Athens.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This topic comes around every year.. we should probably just archive and redirect to the old ones..

that said - this is war gentlemen. Plain and simple. This is war.

When good leaders see their group struggling they communicate how the person receiving the coaching needed to be instructed. I have said it a bunch of times, as have others, but the proof is in that none of CPJ's players (in what, 30 something years of coaching) have come out and complained or said anything truly ngeative about how he coaches.

Coach K in bball, or Belicheck in the NFL or any other number of successful coaches do this when it needs to be done folks.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I can't swear to it, but I thought I saw CPJ "get animated" with a coach when they got the delay of game call while lining up to punt in the 1st half. The leader needs to lead and during a highly competitive sport/game, I would expect nothing more than some "animated" banter between those who are participating. UGA fans are begging for it in Athens.
I also saw some Beamer animation over those VT substitution penalties. Business as usual to me!

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
It's good to see CPJ emotionally invested in this season. I think he's been drained a bit following the 2011 late season meltdown. And several heartwrenching losses especially against UGA.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I borrowed this from another forum, but we always assume CPJ is cussing and demeaning players and coaches when he's yelling in their faces, but I read this and it cracked me up.....

CPJ at Macon Touchdown Club last night
I wrote this up this morning before I saw someone link the article in the Macon Telegraph, but here was my 2 cents:

Got the chance to go and hear CPJ at the Macon TD Club last night held at the Methodist Children’s Home. There wasn’t any big, new information, but one thing I found interesting was his comment about Qua Searcy.Since he was in the Middle GA area, he of course commented on the D. Smelter and how he really believes that he is a “next level talent”.He then mentioned the three freshmen from Barnesville (Lamar Co.) – the Austin twins have already seen action in the secondary, and he was just as high on Searcy.Basically said the only reason he hasn’t seen the field yet was that he was at a position (WR) with seniors at the top of the depth chart so he said that the coaches talked about this last week and decided to try him out at corner during the bye week practices to see how he does.CPJ said that he is just a very good athlete and they wanted to give him a chance on D before finalizing the decision to redshirt.

He talked about the upcoming playoffs (he’s always been for them and wants to see them expand), the future of the Power 5 (believes paying the players is coming sooner than later), and the ridiculousness of preseason polls (with a dig at SEC fans whining “yea but #5 just beat #3 (from same division) so we shouldn’t fall” --- CPJ thens smirks and says, you know, maybe they both shouldn’t been ranked in the top 5 before the season began. Got a few groans from Ugag members, I loved it!

He recounted one funny anecdote from the game in Blacksburg. It may have been reported elsewhere but I hadn’t heard about.First he mentioned that he has always said he will write a book when he retires made up of these type stories.After the botched pitch from Justin to Snoddy, he screamed into the headsets “Who put him in the game??!!”…silence…, screamed it again and nothing.Finally saw Snoddy when he came off the field and yelled “who put you in the game??”, Broderick said, “you did, coach.”CPJ gave that trademark smirk and told the crowd, “and it was me, but I guess the other coaches were afraid to tell me that I was the one that screwed up.”He said that he had been watching the 5-tech the play before to see how he played the previous play and was still locked on him when he just reached back without looking and grabbed Snoddy and gave him the play to run in.He told the story better than I’ve recounted it and it got a big laugh. Then he said, "yeah, that one will probably be in the book."

CPJ is at his best at these things after his prepared speech when he turns it over to the crowd for a Q/A. He would go on at length on each question and was very at ease doing so.Really glad my daughter’s softball game got rained out and SWMBO “made” me go
biggrin.gif