And so it starts …

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The fact is that the NCAA and the colleges provide a platform for the athletes to enjoy athletics and the opportunity to pursue the next level, if they are one of the few who possess the necessary talent. These student-athletes can make a choice to just be students, if they want...or they can go learn a trade, join the military, or whatever they want to do if they don’t like the rules.

If the NCAA wants to change the rules on their own, that’s fine and maybe it will all work out fine -hopefully better than the transfer rule debacle. However, this is just another example of short-sighted California legislation and they need to butt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The fact is that the NCAA and the colleges provide a platform for the athletes to enjoy athletics and the opportunity to pursue the next level, if they are one of the few who possess the necessary talent. These student-athletes can make a choice to just be students, if they want...or they can go learn a trade, join the military, or whatever they want to do if they don’t like the rules.

If the NCAA wants to change the rules on their own, that’s fine and maybe it will all work out fine -hopefully better than the transfer rule debacle. However, this is just another example of short-sighted California legislation and they need to butt out.

States' rights.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Be that as it may or may not, in any case it would seem to be for the elected representatives of the people of California to determine (as long as it does not violate the U.S. Constitution).

It would be a shame if it passed and the NCAA deemed all contests in the state of California to be non-sanctioned. I wonder how the athletes would feel about that. Keep in mind that non-California athletes play games in California.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
As I prophesized almost 10 years ago, this is the beginning of the end of football. Buy it and read it if you like.

There was a time when I watched nearly every NFL game I could possibly watch. As issues around the game (huge salaries, huge attitudes, strikes, holdouts, etc.) became nearly as large as the game itself, I found other ways to spend my time on Sundays. I think I watched two games last year and I regularly used to watch three on Sunday alone. College football is heading down a similar path with one of the biggest missteps so far being the transfer portal.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It would be a shame if it passed and the NCAA deemed all contests in the state of California to be non-sanctioned. I wonder how the athletes would feel about that. Keep in mind that non-California athletes play games in California.

Washington and Oregon always play follow the leader with Cali. New York pretty much does, too. By no means will California be the only one. I have no idea how it will work out.

Animal02

Banned
There was a time when I watched nearly every NFL game I could possibly watch. As issues around the game (huge salaries, huge attitudes, strikes, holdouts, etc.) became nearly as large as the game itself, I found other ways to spend my time on Sundays. I think I watched two games last year and I regularly used to watch three on Sunday alone. College football is heading down a similar path with one of the biggest missteps so far being the transfer portal.

Not only that, the whole team concept goes out the window. If you are an average to a little above average O lineman, you will have little market value, meanwhile the running back you are blocking for is getting millions.

Animal02

Banned
Be that as it may or may not, in any case it would seem to be for the elected representatives of the people of California to determine (as long as it does not violate the U.S. Constitution).
Except the NCAA is a national organization.....they can rule all those games void....so now you end up with a separate Cali or west coast league.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Except the NCAA is a national organization.....they can rule all those games void....so now you end up with a separate Cali or west coast league.

Rule all the games void, including the Rose Bowl? It would be The End of the NCAA.

If this were Rhode Island they might get away with that. California (and whoever else follows suit)? Not a chance.

GT_Inta-neer

Georgia Tech Fan
This law would be the end of GT football along with many other schools. I mean think about it, if you are a company like Nike or Adidas, do you want to pay a kid from Clemson/Alabama/U(sic)GA for his endorsement or a kid at GT. The kid at the factory is gonna get paid more, period. Therefore more good players will go to the factories regardless of playing time for the chance at more money from third party endorsement contracts. GT wouldn't have a chance.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
So i guess by logic if the ncaa makes money on the kid then every 4 years when they leave we should see dips in ncaa revenue right?

Nope.

Its because its the schools and fan affiliation that makes them money. The kids who play dont play for free they get perks all other students dont get on top of free rides. When they leave guess what. The stadiums still sell out and tv is still around.

That’s because we fans still pull for gt even after calvin left.

Thats the thing lost in all of this. To be honest if every ncaa team competed with not one athlete worthy of the pros; but the games were good and still competitive we would all still go and watch. No one is in the stands because of 2 nfl players that can make bank or sell their likeness while in college. We are there because of the school and being a fan. I am no less a fan when calvin was here or brad stewart.

Its sad how everything had become its about me mantra in this world. Its about me on facebook. Instagram. Now its about me for college.

The counterpoint to this is the athlete doesnt matter at all. They leave every 4 years. Its the brand and school. If a kid goes to school he waived his right to sell himself. Thats the rule. You dont like it tough. Selling yourself for money is not a right if u go to school.

Simply make a minor league system and set up a deal a bit like baseball has

I agree with most of what you post here, but disagree on this.

How is what you describe any different than a pro sports team? Do Falcons fans stop being fans when Julio or Matt Ryan move on? What about Cardinals fans when Pujols moved to LA?

Nope. Their fans are still fans?

On another point, why when Calvin was here did we sell waay more #21 jerseys than any other number? I bet Clemson sold way more #4 jerseys when Watson was at Clemson than now. I’d bet they are selling a lot more #16 jerseys now. Why? Because of Trevor Lawrence.

Same thing can be said for pro sports. Falcon fans buy more #2 and #11 jerseys now. Go back 15 years and I bet they sold more #7 or #28 jerseys.

Whether or not revenues for the schools or pro teams vary year to year is highly dependent on the product on the field. Now if you look at NCAA revenues, they probably continue to climb. Same can be said for most pro sports. Regardless of who is coming into the league or leaving.

You may not like the idea of players being paid, and that’s fine. I personally don’t like the NCAA using 18-22 year olds to make billions of dollars while simultaneously limiting their ability to change schools and only providing a scholarship, some swag, and some food in return. I’ll always side with the players over the corrupt NCAA.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with most of what you post here, but disagree on this.

How is what you describe any different than a pro sports team? Do Falcons fans stop being fans when Julio or Matt Ryan move on? What about Cardinals fans when Pujols moved to LA?

Nope. Their fans are still fans?

On another point, why when Calvin was here did we sell waay more #21 jerseys than any other number? I bet Clemson sold way more #4 jerseys when Watson was at Clemson than now. I’d bet they are selling a lot more #16 jerseys now. Why? Because of Trevor Lawrence.

Same thing can be said for pro sports. Falcon fans buy more #2 and #11 jerseys now. Go back 15 years and I bet they sold more #7 or #28 jerseys.

Whether or not revenues for the schools or pro teams vary year to year is highly dependent on the product on the field. Now if you look at NCAA revenues, they probably continue to climb. Same can be said for most pro sports. Regardless of who is coming into the league or leaving.

You may not like the idea of players being paid, and that’s fine. I personally don’t like the NCAA using 18-22 year olds to make billions of dollars while simultaneously limiting their ability to change schools and only providing a scholarship, some swag, and some food in return. I’ll always side with the players over the corrupt NCAA.

Probably because that was the number that was offered at the time. Its not like the bookstore or whoever sells any number. it generally just a number or 2 ever year. in 2008/09 it was either 9 or 21. i got both.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably because that was the number that was offered at the time. Its not like the bookstore or whoever sells any number. it generally just a number or 2 ever year. in 2008/09 it was either 9 or 21. i got both.

Do you think it’s a coincidence that those just happened to be Dwyer and Nesbitt’s numbers?