And so it starts …

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Whatever. I spent a week in San Francisco in the spring. The cities in Georgia are the JV squad, in comparison.

Regardless, I really don’t like the idea of college athletes getting paid beyond the compensation they already receive.

That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bill doesn't stipulate that they get a salary or anything, just that they can use their likeness to get paid in the free market, just like any other free adult in America could. NCAA's view of amateurism is outdated and they are fighting a losing battle on this.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
The current under-the-table model is crony capitalism. Unfortunately, legal payments won’t solve that problem, but neither does pretending that it doesn’t happen - the NCAA’s current model.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
While I understand that the NCAA can feel additional pressure here, how can a state law force the NCAA to allow athletes to compete - especially in the other 49 states?

The NCAA could say sorry USC, we have vacated all of your wins due to ineligible players, your baseball team has a 0-0 record for this season so no Regional berth for you!

The College Football Playoff would not be affected as it is technically not an official NCAA event.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Y’all think AAU basketball is good for college basketball? Think Nike etc involvement in AAU is good for college basketball? This proposal puts that mess on turbo and across all revenue sports. Think Tech would be relevant in this scenario?

I do hate the NCAA. But I don’t hate the idea of amateurism in college sports.

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
Y'all worry too much. Eventually ncaa athletes in revenue sports will get compensated something similar to a salary outside their scholarship. It's inevitable. Similarly to the cfb playoffs expanding to 8 teams eventually. It's a matter of when, not if. And when it happens, I doubt it'll change the paradigm of college football very much.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a little surprised to see GT fans of all people to be against this. The billions of dollars that are circulated around them and they can't accept a sweatshirt from someone? Yeah, that ain't right.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Y’all think AAU basketball is good for college basketball? Think Nike etc involvement in AAU is good for college basketball? This proposal puts that mess on turbo and across all revenue sports. Think Tech would be relevant in this scenario?

I do hate the NCAA. But I don’t hate the idea of amateurism in college sports.

There hasn’t been amateurism in college sports since the dawn of the athletic scholarship. If you want amateurism and true student athletes support your local DIII school.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So i guess by logic if the ncaa makes money on the kid then every 4 years when they leave we should see dips in ncaa revenue right?

Nope.

Its because its the schools and fan affiliation that makes them money. The kids who play dont play for free they get perks all other students dont get on top of free rides. When they leave guess what. The stadiums still sell out and tv is still around.

That’s because we fans still pull for gt even after calvin left.

Thats the thing lost in all of this. To be honest if every ncaa team competed with not one athlete worthy of the pros; but the games were good and still competitive we would all still go and watch. No one is in the stands because of 2 nfl players that can make bank or sell their likeness while in college. We are there because of the school and being a fan. I am no less a fan when calvin was here or brad stewart.

Its sad how everything had become its about me mantra in this world. Its about me on facebook. Instagram. Now its about me for college.

The counterpoint to this is the athlete doesnt matter at all. They leave every 4 years. Its the brand and school. If a kid goes to school he waived his right to sell himself. Thats the rule. You dont like it tough. Selling yourself for money is not a right if u go to school.

Simply make a minor league system and set up a deal a bit like baseball has