Analytics and our pitching

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's nice to know that we're not the only program that has the problem of turning prospects into "did not meet expectations" by "tweaking" something...

The money line:

"Back in 2018, Mike Vasil withdrew his name from the draft despite being a top-50 prospect at the time. The decision proved to be rather costly for him as he struggled at the University of Virginia and became an eighth rounder in 2021. The good news for the Mets and Vasil is the Mets have been able to undo a lot of the changes that caused Vasil to struggle at UVA."
Baseball is a funny little thing.

Same UVA staff that screwed this guy up managed to win the CWS in 2015. A year they finished .500 in the ACC regular season & winless (0-3) in the ACC Tournament.

Baseball!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
It's nice to know that we're not the only program that has the problem of turning prospects into "did not meet expectations" by "tweaking" something...

The money line:

"Back in 2018, Mike Vasil withdrew his name from the draft despite being a top-50 prospect at the time. The decision proved to be rather costly for him as he struggled at the University of Virginia and became an eighth rounder in 2021. The good news for the Mets and Vasil is the Mets have been able to undo a lot of the changes that caused Vasil to struggle at UVA."

UVA is pretty notorious at this point for 'screwing up' players before they go pro.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
only 2 taken last year
1676478950571.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA is pretty notorious at this point for 'screwing up' players before they go pro.

I don't know that I can agree with this unless the premise is that we screw them up too.

Since 2013, GT has had 45 players drafted. https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/college_history/20124/drafted/

Since 2013, UVa has had 53 players drafted. https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/college_history/20194/

UVa has been to the CWS three times in that period and won a regional once outside of those trips. I wish we were that screwed up.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know that I can agree with this unless the premise is that we screw them up too.
It's not my premise originally. Take it up with the Baseball America guys who have said as much multiple times on their podcast the past few years. 'Screwing up' is in quotes because it's largely meant as tongue in cheek. But it's not that far off from reality.

I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison them to GT but if you want to go down that road that number is front loaded. Over the last 5 drafts we've had the same amount of players drafted from what I can gather. During that time our on field success has been similar. There's also more to it then that. Just looking at players drafted doesn't take into account the potential lost draft position of players when they leave versus where they could have been had they gone somewhere else or gone pro after high school.

UVa has been to the CWS three times in that period and won a regional once outside of those trips. I wish we were that screwed up.
You're trying to have a different conversation then I am. Success of the program as a whole at the college level and the professional prospects of the players in that program are not the same thing and aren't always correlated. The mighty Vanderbilt had a similar issue a few years ago where their pitchers had to relearn their pitching motions when they went pro because of what they were taught while in Nashville. Carson Fulmer was the big example for that.