Analysis of NCAA Blocking Rule changes

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill C and Alex K did an analysis of all the option teams so far this season:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...t-block-rule-army-navy-air-force-georgia-tech

The short answer is that it's still early, but as a group the TO teams are getting called for more penalties and having less successful plays than 2017.

If the trend holds over the full season, there will have to be some kind of adaptation to the blocking schemes for the TO to continue to be a viable offense.

Deleted member 2897

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...t-block-rule-army-navy-air-force-georgia-tech

The short answer is that it's still early, but as a group the TO teams are getting called for more penalties and having less successful plays than 2017.

If the trend holds over the full season, there will have to be some kind of adaptation to the blocking schemes for the TO to continue to be a viable offense.

We haven't had any problem with blocking penalties. Our problem is total bull**** calls like the 2 late hit out of bounds penalties last week when the guys had both feet still way inbounds.

The one they illustrated down in the article about us @USF was 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. So maybe their argument is that a lot of people can't count. (The defender was also face to face with our guy until he went to cut him and he only looks to have left the 10-2 because of how he tried to slide jump the block to evade it. That's on him and not us - if I dive at you and while I'm in the air you leave the ground and spin around that's your fault.)

Last edited by a moderator:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I don’t think it’s affected us, we’ve had 1 call on a cut block down field.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do the other TO teams have OL anywhere near the size of Gt?;

When in space Baily Ivemeyer 6 1" 270 seems pretty damn agile.

With the p 5 factories we face whin ch have large agile DL, we have gone to 300lb plus guards and centers and 285 lb 6-4 plus tackles.

Just a thought
Maybe we need to try some dl types at tackle. Stay 6 3 260 and agile. Could be an issue with drive and pass blocking, but better at cutting off safety and mlb.

I do like how we are holding while blocking. That maybe the solution

Deleted member 2897

Also it would be nice if these guys would do video analysis of teams like Clemson whose DL holds our offensive linemen with reckless abandon. Perhaps we should do what Texas A&M did and hold them right back. Could make for a nice 3,000 pound line dance around the line of scrimmage.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So far i think it has actually helped us a little. We have had a few big runs because the a backs dont cut and instead wash a guy
Good point.
At usf Camp , who is a beast w r, crack back blocked - shoulder height - and ran d e into other defenders.

Last edited:

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The one they illustrated down in the article about us @USF was 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. So maybe their argument is that a lot of people can't count.

Well, technically after the defender went flying in the air, the defender's face hit the turf at 5 yards downfield. So I think we need some clarity in the rule. Is it where the first contact is made (4 yards) or where the defenders face hits the turf (5 yards)?

(that was a bad call by the way).

/

Deleted member 2897

Well, technically after the defender went flying in the air, the defender's face hit the turf at 5 yards downfield. So I think we need some clarity in the rule. Is it where the first contact is made (4 yards) or where the defenders face hits the turf (5 yards)?

(that was a bad call by the way).

/

That's actually a good point, because when BJS hit Pittsburgh's quarterback and got a late hit out of bounds penalty, he had BOTH FEET inbounds. But maybe we're thinking about this all wrong and its where you land when you're coming back down to earth after we kicked your ***. :D

LibertyTurns

Banned
We haven't had any problem with blocking penalties. Our problem is total bull**** calls like the 2 late hit out of bounds penalties last week when the guys had both feet still way inbounds.

The one they illustrated down in the article about us @USF was 4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. So maybe their argument is that a lot of people can't count. (The defender was also face to face with our guy until he went to cut him and he only looks to have left the 10-2 because of how he tried to slide jump the block to evade it. That's on him and not us - if I dive at you and while I'm in the air you leave the ground and spin around that's your fault.)
I’m sorry but when football turns into a Dook flop contest the stadiums are going to be empty and football will revert to a club sport. We’re already on the way. We might as well put skirts on the QBs, RBs and WRs as it is. Sad state of affairs but there’s more crying nowadays at footballs games than anything.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Johnson said the biggest effect may not be on our A-back blocking, but our lineman. On a lot of plays, our lineman bypass the d-line and go straight to the secondary to try to cut off a linebackers or safety’s coming across the field. Those guys are actually smaller and quicker, so it is easier to just throw your body in front with a cut block than stand straight up and let them glide by you. Basically, this could take away the final block that leads to so many of our explosion run plays.