An idea to think about

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
You may be right. Losing Boyd & Sammy Watkins would hurt anyone's talent level. I just hope the Watson kid isn't as good as the Clemson people seem to think he is.
Saw him play this past season. The kid is legit. He pretty much ran the offense himself. He would get a play from the sideline and check into another play or adjust the routes. Incredibly accurate arm and deceptively fast. Oh and he has been running the Chad Morris system for the last 3 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Watson's all that great, tbh. Saw him play a few times. That system is designed to make him look like a star, and the area he played in in high school wasn't exactly the same area that Camden County plays in. I'll wait and see on Watson...

Watson is legit. He's competed at elite camps and has proven himself there.

The offense he played in HS is pretty much the same offense he'll play in at Clemson. Plus Clemson gets elite skill guys every year so he'll be surrounded by great players...not to mention Clemson is putting together a heck of a OL together. He's going to be a bigger more athletic version of Taj Boyd...with a bigger arm. Not gonna be fun playing against him.

Sucks GT couldn't keep him home.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is interesting how perspective changes whether a guy is playing for us or somebody else. Typically, if a TECH player who has yet to start gets that much praise on a GT board there will be a host of naysayers who insist that we are prematurely annointing a star who has proven nothing. When the same thing happens and the guy plays for somebody else, he gets pushed further up the pedestal.

Keep in mind, I am just making an observation, not condemning those who view future players with caution. Making kids prove it first is always a wise stance.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Idk I drunk 2 pitchers of Vad Kool Aid but haven't seen anything from JT to get me all that excited. I watched Watson play in high school, he's pretty much a high school superstar in the state (one that UGA consistently passes on hmmmmm). He pretty much single handly won a state title for a school that hasn't done pooh in the past. That kid's the TRUTH.

I'm pretty high on Mathew Jordan but he's not gonna be a starter for awhile if ever.
I had a glass of Kool Aid ready to drink on Ty but he transferred.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sucks GT couldn't keep him home.
Yes, it does suck. Not sure why you said it, it's as obvious as the nose on our faces. I have to think you mean't it as a subtle condemnation of our coaches/recruiting.

Now consider this: GT has NEVER landed a 5 star play.... N.....E....V....E.....R. Not one since they starting rating players. Even Calvin Johnson, wasn't a 5 star. But suddenly it's damnable that CPJ didn't land this guy. Guess what, Alabama with slick Nick Saben didn't land this guy either. Nor did FSU, Auburn, UGA, UF or Oregon.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Deshaun may have been the truth in HS, but he's on the same playing field as everyone else now.

I'm not going to freak out about him till I at least see him perform in a game...He's gotta long way to go to even get close to what Tajh Boyd did in college.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it does suck. Not sure why you said it, it's as obvious as the nose on our faces. I have to think you mean't it as a subtle condemnation of our coaches/recruiting.

Now consider this: GT has NEVER landed a 5 star play.... N.....E....V....E.....R. Not one since they starting rating players. Even Calvin Johnson, wasn't a 5 star. But suddenly it's damnable that CPJ didn't land this guy. Guess what, Alabama with slick Nick Saben didn't land this guy either. Nor did FSU, Auburn, UGA, UF or Oregon.

At the end of the day... No we have never officially landed a 5 star. However, Calvin Johnson was a 5 star at one point on scout. They down graded him to a 4 star.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Deshaun may have been the truth in HS, but he's on the same playing field as everyone else now.

I'm not going to freak out about him till I at least see him perform in a game...He's gotta long way to go to even get close to what Tajh Boyd did in college.

Lol ... Do you remember how much you hyped all over JT ??
I'm not all that hyped on Deshaun, but I am interested in seeing how a highly touted and decorated kid from the state of Georgia performs on the field now that he's moved on into college. Deshaun wasn't interested in GT I pretty much knew he wouldn't be but we landed a guy who I am interested in seeing in MJ. I'm happy with that, but that doesn't mean my interest in seeing Deshaun perform any less. I think he'll be successful I curious to see if I'm right.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Dude, you REALLY need to chill out. Not everything that doesn't go GT's way is a dig at our coaches.

What was I supposed to say? Too bad he didn't go to UGA? It sucks because he's an elite talent that grew up in our backyard and he's going to our biggest rival in our conference. Would have loved to see him in GT colors. I've said the same about other elite talent that could do the work on and off the field. Nothing more nothing less.

DeShaun never wanted to play in our offense (he said so himself with the AJC)...so it's not like there's much our staff could do unless they were going to change the offense which is never going to happen.

Seriously man...calm down with your rhetoric.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Man, that Boomergump post REALLY hit the nail on the head. Gets my vote for post of the year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Man, that Boomergump post REALLY hit the nail on the head. Gets my vote for post of the year.

What Boomer said is true for any message board for any college program, if you don't believe me red a UGA board.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What Boomer said is true for any message board for any college program, if you don't believe me red a UGA board.

Yeah...so true. The grass is always greener syndrome...I'm guilty of it.

Not that we haven't been guilty of pumping players up before they've done anything on the field. I can point to countless threads across various GT boards to prove it. Vad Lee...Francis Kallon...Charles Perkins...Travis Custis...Justin Thomas...and those are the recent ones.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it...it's just talk and something to bide the time until we see actual football.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah...so true. The grass is always greener syndrome...I'm guilty of it.

Not that we haven't been guilty of pumping players up before they've done anything on the field. I can point to countless threads across various GT boards to prove it. Vad Lee...Francis Kallon...Charles Perkins...Travis Custis...Justin Thomas...and those are the recent ones.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it...it's just talk and something to bide the time until we see actual football.
yep.. this is the way things go anywhere in the offseason for any sport anywhere in the world. My Rugby buddies from England to my Cricket fan friends from India.

That Said, TECH boards do seem to have different personality types. This is one of the more upbeat/positive ones I know it is said in a lot of places on this board but the mods do a great job of enforcing and cultivating a healthy debate without getting ugly. Big fan of what is done here boys, thanks much.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
yep.. this is the way things go anywhere in the offseason for any sport anywhere in the world. My Rugby buddies from England to my Cricket fan friends from India.

That Said, TECH boards do seem to have different personality types. This is one of the more upbeat/positive ones I know it is said in a lot of places on this board but the mods do a great job of enforcing and cultivating a healthy debate without getting ugly. Big fan of what is done here boys, thanks much.

If GT fans think college fans are bad about pumping players up before their time they should try following the US soccer team. Man, it's past the point of ridiculous...16 year old phenom is signed by Arsenal?!! Well we have our future star for the 2018 World Cup!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dude, you REALLY need to chill out. Not everything that doesn't go GT's way is a dig at our coaches.

What was I supposed to say? Too bad he didn't go to UGA? It sucks because he's an elite talent that grew up in our backyard and he's going to our biggest rival in our conference. Would have loved to see him in GT colors. I've said the same about other elite talent that could do the work on and off the field. Nothing more nothing less.

DeShaun never wanted to play in our offense (he said so himself with the AJC)...so it's not like there's much our staff could do unless they were going to change the offense which is never going to happen.

Seriously man...calm down with your rhetoric.
It's sucks when every guy our coaches want have no interest in GT. It's not some earth shattering revelation and it's not something we all don't feel. What's the point in pointing it out every time if not to suit your agenda?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's sucks when every guy our coaches want have no interest in GT. It's not some earth shattering revelation and it's not something we all don't feel. What's the point in pointing it out every time if not to suit your agenda?

Dear lord...this guy is really trying to make an issue out of nothing. Have fun with that man...I'm going to enjoy participating with people who don't have a bug up their rear.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dear lord...this guy is really trying to make an issue out of nothing. Have fun with that man...I'm going to enjoy participating with people who don't have a bug up their rear.
You know it sucks when a guy like Tuitt got away. That an example of guy we had a shot at and failed to close the deal even if it was his mama the made him go to ND. This example is just one of the many factory guys who is a factory guy from the get go. Guess what? We ain't a factory. If a factory guy spurns us, OH FREAKIN' WELL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You know it sucks when a guy like Tuitt got away. That an example of guy we had a shot at and failed to close the deal even if it was his mama the made him go to ND. This example is just one of the many factory guys who is a factory guy from the get go. Guess what? We ain't a factory. If a factory guy spurns us, OH FREAKIN' WELL.

Is this REALLY about my comment that had no bearing on anything...or is it really about your deep seeded insecurities about our program? Your attacks on posters just because they make a statement that doesn't seem "pro GT" in YOUR OPINION is really getting old.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside I'm lost what's the argument here.

Back to my point is that I want to see if Deshaun can play. I believe he is the Truth and I would like to see if it will play out like that in college.